SWA pulling out of four cities

Point of trivia: Southwest served IAH first before starting HOU a few months later in 1971. IAH closed in ‘72, reopened from ‘80 to ‘05 and reopened again most recently in ‘21 until its pending re-re-closure.

Point of trivia: Southwest served IAH first before starting HOU a few months later in 1971. IAH closed in ‘72, reopened from ‘80 to ‘05 and reopened again most recently in ‘21 until its pending re-re-closure.

Other trivia. SWA actually operated 727s for a short period of time.

Absolutely, if the major airlines and Boeing are so important to the national economy and in Boeings case, national defense, that we won’t allow the normal rules of capitalism to apply to them, then my preferred course of action would be to nationalize them and run them as infrastructure. If not that, then at least something akin to re-regulation where they don’t get to, say, start/end service, make big staff cuts, etc without regulatory approval. Oh, and labor unions would get seats on the board of directors and ownership stakes. So in the end sure, they’re allowed to turn a profit, but making money every single quarter is no longer the guiding star.

I know it’s unrealistic, but you did ask.

Of course I also think any airline route under about 500 miles should be replaced with a nationalized high speed rail service so that’s another unpopular opinion 😛
Comparing WN ending service to BFE, WA, a Mexican resort city that their customers probably didn’t know was different to any of the other Mexican resort cities they already serve, and another airport in a city they have a MASSIVE presence in to Boeing’s national defense role is like comparing apples to basketballs.

Other trivia. SWA actually operated 727s for a short period of time.
AirTran had A320s operatored by a subcontractor for a minute too

1714422917744.jpeg

View attachment 77691

Better AT Airbus photo (they also CRJ200’s for a hot minute)

I believe they had outsourced CRJ-200s at 2 different time, the first time operated by Air Wisconsin. Several years after the Air Wisconsin contract ended, they started had CRJs operated by SkyWest. If memory serves, the SkyWest service started after Midwest Airlines went out of business, and was mostly out of MKE. SkyWest had been doing Midwest Connect flying, and then Airtran basically had that operation continue under their brand after Midwest's demise.

I remember Southwest in IAH before they pulled out the second time. I think it was just the -200s going to DAL.

I remember one of their pilots asking for a whole bunch of stuff and clogging up the radio. The controller finally retorted:
"Hey Southwest, know what IAH stands for?"
"Uh...no."
"It Ain't Hobby! Knock it off!"

I remember Southwest in IAH before they pulled out the second time. I think it was just the -200s going to DAL.

I remember one of their pilots asking for a whole bunch of stuff and clogging up the radio. The controller finally retorted:
"Hey Southwest, know what IAH stands for?"
"Uh...no."
"It Ain't Hobby! Knock it off!"

IMG_5306.gif

I believe they had outsourced CRJ-200s at 2 different time, the first time operated by Air Wisconsin. Several years after the Air Wisconsin contract ended, they started had CRJs operated by SkyWest. If memory serves, the SkyWest service started after Midwest Airlines went out of business, and was mostly out of MKE. SkyWest had been doing Midwest Connect flying, and then Airtran basically had that operation continue under their brand after Midwest's demise.
Since we’re nerding out, ExpressJet operated some ERJs for jetBlue back in the day. And Horizon flew CRJs for Frontier.

And Horizon flew CRJs for Frontier.
And Horizon/Air Group screwed a bunch of DEN based folks with the F9 deal. Lots of people I know moved/uprooted their families to DEN.

Sold it as a “10 year contract!”, but no one said it was renegotiable at 3 years…F9 wanted slightly cheaper 700 rates + QX to bring Q’s down to DEN. Air Group overplayed their hand, and F9 hired away a senior air group person to start up Lynx.

Back