Youtuber Fatal Crash

Speaking of which, at least on a pax carrier, you can claim plausible deniability. How do you freight dogs do it? Just two of you, so it’s always gonna be obvious who stunk up the lav.

I assume you mean the lav, rather than the flight deck? Because there isn't any hiding up there :)

But even the lav, those people up in 1/C who are waiting anxiously for you to finish your pilot break are gonna know exactly who blowed it up.

But even the lav, those people up in 1/C who are waiting anxiously for you to finish your pilot break are gonna know exactly who blowed it up.

I dont care, I'll happily blow up the commode in flight, because:

797.gif

I can't edit my previous post, my apologies for the double, but it also looks like someone got into her Youtube channel and privated/deleted all of her videos that were younger than 8 months old or so. Including the ones of her fumbling with the A/P trim.

Interesting.

Is there any sort of mechanism within the FAA to yank someone's PPL if they show severe incompetence other than as the result of an instance where they smash up a plane or violate FARs?

There is emergency revocation, but more common is a 709 ride, which is a reevaluation of skills. If you bust the 709 ride, you lose the ticket (maybe only a rating or all). For example, I did some work with a pilot to prepare for their 709 ride after running out of fuel and crashing off airport. Their ride with the Fed was focused on flight planning and fuel management, which they passed but had to prove to the Administrator that they’ll never run out of gas again.

…which is why I’ve never agreed with the saying ‘you can teach a monkey to fly.’

Nah. You still need to have some actual ability. And usually, it’s natural. You either have it or you don’t. The likes of Colgan CA and the Atlas FO didn’t have it.
This is the best answer in this thread.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOULMjMouqo

Just came across this report....

The similarity with the Debonair accident struck me.... Of a pilot being woefully behind the aircraft and the seemingly basic automation causing more confusion than necessary. In this case the automation seemed like a major crutch and when it confused the pilot and quit (stall) it just got worse. I'd be curious to know how someone signed this guy off, be it a CFI or a simulator initial training.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread. There has been a lot of discussion about her instructors. Has anyone mentioned the DPE or Fed that passed her, probably 350 hours ago....if she really has 400 hours.....

I can see someone being able to pass a ppl checkride in a 172 and completely struggle in a Be33. The big reason her cfi(s) are getting • on is becuase in multiple videos she’s clearly struggling and he’s just sitting in his seat playing on his phone not paying any attention

I can see someone being able to pass a ppl checkride in a 172 and completely struggle in a Be33. The big reason her cfi(s) are getting • on is becuase in multiple videos she’s clearly struggling and he’s just sitting in his seat playing on his phone not paying any attention
Exactly. He was as shocked as anyone that they were 900 feet too low. And still never seemed to grasp the seriousness of it.

Yeah, that is a lot more airplane when compared to a 172. And ergonomically, and otherwise, very different than a Cessna product.

I still have trouble with these automation events. I've had them, in the sense of "WTF is it doing right now?" followed at the speed of light by "click click click", unless it is earlier on, like on an arrival. Maybe we talk about it later at the gate, what I might have done differently, but my cold instinct is to remove it all and fly the plane, and yeah, let's debrief when we are at 0/0 and I can learn something I didn't know about this weird hoopty. I don't know if that isn't a fundamental lesson anymore or not, but it certainly has been for me, especially having grown up in planes with next to no automation. It doesn't make me a better pilot than her, but she unfortunately didn't get the training that she needed.

Last edited:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOULMjMouqo

Just came across this report....

The similarity with the Debonair accident struck me.... Of a pilot being woefully behind the aircraft and the seemingly basic automation causing more confusion than necessary. In this case the automation seemed like a major crutch and when it confused the pilot and quit (stall) it just got worse. I'd be curious to know how someone signed this guy off, be it a CFI or a simulator initial training.

Another reason I’m a proponent of learning to fly in the simplest aircraft possible in order for student to build some basic flying skills and not rely on automation or their Garmin G1000 instrumentation package to save the day… because, as you see, it’s often ends up being a causal factor.

Even at the airline level, there were legs when I would have the student turn everything off and simply fly the aircraft. Climbs, descents, vectors, visual approaches without flight directors, auto thrust or autopilot to see how the aircraft feels and presents itself when it’s not in the desired condition. There will be a day when all that crap fails for whatever reason, in a time-critical phase of flight and if you don’t already possess basic flying skills AND confidence, you’re going to do something profoundly stupid and make it far, far worse.

Someone remind me on the Zoom happy hour and I’ll tell THAT story! :)

Even at the airline level, there were legs when I would have the student turn everything off and simply fly the aircraft.
It's great you did that. I had a tough time on my Capts upgrade in the sims. Really just wanted to crawl back to the right seat and be a PFO. My IOE checkairman was awesome. He had me do a visual into Philly with no automation. It went really well and he complimented me, saying I did better than most guys with that. Huge confidence booster.

Back