Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

I'm happy for this. My 1.5 million miles at Alaska should get me to Seoul or somewhere in Japan now on AS (HI) metal. I really want to go to Thailand.
You can book your tickets there now with Alaska miles. Still one of the best values.

Alaska......................................

tumblr_of2d00IgIo1r3smugo1_500.gif

A321s and 717..............................................................

200w.gif

@BobDDuck on the B787...............................................

tumblr_p2656hDuD71qa6wvao1_500.gifv

3rd merger and SLI.....................................

15D38D0DD815530D15422F53F631A1A672119940

What is ALPA’s merger policy? In the podcast they mentioned it’s a combination of DOH and status (WB/NB and CA/FO), but in general how much do they weight each?

What is ALPA’s merger policy? In the podcast they mentioned it’s a combination of DOH and status (WB/NB and CA/FO), but in general how much do they weight each?

It's:

-Longevity. Which is date of hire minus any types leaves that the merger committees agree to count against your DOH.

-Career Expectations. Historically this had been distilled down to career earnings expectations based on fleet type and career progression up the seniority list.

-Status and category.

How much they are each weighed is up to the merger committees if they can agree, and an arbitrator if they can't.

It's:

-Longevity. Which is date of hire minus any types leaves that the merger committees agree to count against your DOH.

-Career Expectations. Historically this had been distilled down to career earnings expectations based on fleet type and career progression up the seniority list.

-Status and category.

How much they are each weighed is up to the merger committees if they can agree, and an arbitrator if they can't.
I should have added I’m not worried about where I’ll end up. Just a wild guess that not many HNL folks have a burning desire to move to where the air hurts half the year. I have high hopes that things will stay civil.

I should have added I’m not worried about where I’ll end up. Just a wild guess that not many HNL folks have a burning desire to move to where the air hurts half the year. I have high hopes that things will stay civil.
I don’t have any seniority to lose so I don’t really worry about the SLI. OTOH what it does to retention and future hiring is very relevant to muh interests, but it seems it’s anyone’s guess how that’s gonna go at this point.

I do doubt many Hawaiian folks are gonna wanna do the equivalent of the inter island flying but with dodging floatplanes half the year and deicing 4x a trip the other half, so I got that going for me, which is nice

I do doubt many Hawaiian folks are gonna wanna do the equivalent of the inter island flying but with dodging floatplanes half the year and deicing 4x a trip the other half, so I got that going for me, which is nice

There's actually a sizable contingent of guys that commute out to here from up there. Almost all of them are widebody CAs though so I doubt many would give up that gig to go fly multiple legs a day in a 737, so you should be ok.

I was telling a friend of mine over there the other day that I really don't see any scenario where the Alaska route structure is going to change much, or where there will be a flood of xHAL seniority list pilots trying to get in to a former Alaska base. However, I think there is a very large concern on this end of things that there is going to be a massive shift in where aircraft are crewed out of, what routes are still operated, and how big a draw the widebody flying will be for xALA pilots to go chase even if it means coming out to Honolulu.

The worst case scenario (but probably the one that makes the most sense operationally *other* than the cost of HNL hotel rooms) is to move all of the widebody's to the west coast, and operate and crew them out of there doing SFO/LAX/SEA --> HNL --> Asia/Oceana and then back. I have to assume that a lot of senior ALA pilots would be happy to jump to the 330/787 if it was based in their backyard.

I was telling a friend of mine over there the other day that I really don't see any scenario where the Alaska route structure is going to change much, or where there will be a flood of xHAL seniority list pilots trying to get in to a former Alaska base. However, I think there is a very large concern on this end of things that there is going to be a massive shift in where aircraft are crewed out of, what routes are still operated, and how big a draw the widebody flying will be for xALA pilots to go chase even if it means coming out to Honolulu.

The worst case scenario (but probably the one that makes the most sense operationally *other* than the cost of HNL hotel rooms) is to move all of the widebody's to the west coast, and operate and crew them out of there doing SFO/LAX/SEA --> HNL --> Asia/Oceana and then back. I have to assume that a lot of senior ALA pilots would be happy to jump to the 330/787 if it was based in their backyard.
I know ALA is an official abbreviation for Alaska in some circumstances but it still throws me when I see it.

Almost all of them are widebody CAs though so I doubt many would give up that gig to go fly multiple legs a day in a 737, so you should be ok.
Who knows, but if they are senior they would have some decent two leg-two days on the Guppy. The plane sucks but they would have a great QOL. Beats a commute any way. We'll see I guess...
I think there is a very large concern on this end of things that there is going to be a massive shift in where aircraft are crewed out of, what routes are still operated,
They should be concerned, management gives zero regard to the desires of the pilot group. If the numbers work out in their favor, they will absolutely move planes around.
and how big a draw the widebody flying will be for xALA pilots to go chase even if it means coming out to Honolulu.
Virtually none of my FOs has said that WB flying is a draw, I also dont really believe them if it pays more. Personally I'd love to do some international WB stuff at some point in my career. But I was acquired, not hired, so my perspective is not eskimo centric as I never even applied to them.
The worst case scenario (but probably the one that makes the most sense operationally *other* than the cost of HNL hotel rooms) is to move all of the widebody's to the west coast, and operate and crew them out of there doing SFO/LAX/SEA --> HNL --> Asia/Oceana and then back.
Worst case is they move them all to SEA. SFO/LAX have competition and management hates head-to-head. They like to avoid that. I would wager a high likelihood of half the WBs being based in SEA when the dust settles. I'm sorry but hopefully things change slowly at least.

Who knows, but if they are senior they would have some decent two leg-two days on the Guppy. The plane sucks but they would have a great QOL. Beats a commute any way. We'll see I guess...

They should be concerned, management gives zero regard to the desires of the pilot group. If the numbers work out in their favor, they will absolutely move planes around.

Virtually none of my FOs has said that WB flying is a draw, I also dont really believe them if it pays more. Personally I'd love to do some international WB stuff at some point in my career. But I was acquired, not hired, so my perspective is not eskimo centric as I never even applied to them.

Worst case is they move them all to SEA. SFO/LAX have competition and management hates head-to-head. They like to avoid that. I would wager a high likelihood of half the WBs being based in SEA when the dust settles. I'm sorry but hopefully things change slowly at least.
I realize it’s a nearly insignificant sample size, but I’ve been riding the JS a lot to and from training and nobody seems to be like “f yeah widebodies! All ur international flying are belong to us!”. In fact the only person who seems excited about it is my sim partner who seems to think he’ll be able to bid widebody HNL within 5 years.

Guess we’ll see in a few years tho. I do sort of wonder what net effect this will have on recruiting/retention.

I realize it’s a nearly insignificant sample size, but I’ve been riding the JS a lot to and from training and nobody seems to be like “f yeah widebodies! All ur international flying are belong to us!”. In fact the only person who seems excited about it is my sim partner who seems to think he’ll be able to bid widebody HNL within 5 years.

Guess we’ll see in a few years tho. I do sort of wonder what net effect this will have on recruiting/retention.
Agreed, it's just too soon to tell but things will change for some people and the company took a BIG bite of something new. We'll see how it works out.

There's actually a sizable contingent of guys that commute out to here from up there. Almost all of them are widebody CAs though so I doubt many would give up that gig to go fly multiple legs a day in a 737, so you should be ok.
That sounds like a rough commute.

I hope all the HNL WB flying doesn’t leave HNL. I wouldn’t be surprised if they put some in SEA eventually. Definitely don’t just trust whatever BM et al say though (which I am sure everyone already knows, especially the exVXers). The $1.9B elephant in the room is “what is HQs plan for the WBs?” Do they plan on continuing/expanding on HAs strategy, or do they have other ideas to feed WBs? I don’t know, I’m only ok at flying planes not filing them up.
I know ALA is an official abbreviation for Alaska in some circumstances but it still throws me when I see it.
ALA ASA ALK AAG AS CAN WE JUST PICK ONE PLZ :bounce:

Back