Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

I'm amused (and most definitely not surprised) after riding around the system the past month how many people STILL have no clue how a merger works when it comes to the SLI. Apparently, they didn't bother to pay any attention the first time around and learned absolutely nothing about the process. I keep hearing some absolute nonsense expectations, and it definitely gives me the chuckles.

“I heard they’re going to be sending the 787 to Barrow!”

If only there was a subscribable resource available that pilots could download and listen to where people who actually do know what they’re talking about would outline the process and give people realistic expectations.

Gosh I hope there’s no one in the union giving “realistic expectations” to anyone.

Virgin said 15% longevity, 85% relative.

Alaska said 70% longevity, 30% relative.

Final was 60% longevity, 40% relative.

The reality is both sides are gonna submit a final proposal that is going to piss off the other side. Guaranteed. And they’ll be extreme, unrealistic proposals.

It’ll be sent to the arbitrators and they’ll decide what it will be. And not even the union ca. predict that outcome.

So seriously, it’s not worth asking anyone what the SLI will look like.

1. You’re wasting time.
2. They don’t know.

I'm amused (and most definitely not surprised) after riding around the system the past month how many people STILL have no clue how a merger works when it comes to the SLI. Apparently, they didn't bother to pay any attention the first time around and learned absolutely nothing about the process. I keep hearing some absolute nonsense expectations, and it definitely gives me the chuckles.
When the mommy airline and the daddy airline love each other verrrrry much… they make a bigger airline that becomes “too big to fail.”
If only there was a subscribable resource available that pilots could download and listen to where people who actually do know what they’re talking about would outline the process and give people realistic expectations.
I guess we’ll never know. AnD I vOtEd No!1!1!!!!11!

Truth.

If I can add any "old man" advice, it would be to continue doing your job, those that say they know anything don't, the ones that do aren't talking and don't get involved in a weenus-measuring contest thinking one carrier is superior to the other, THUS we should benefit more than the other in any sort of SLI.

The ones that are still butt-hurt at my airline about our last merger are generally those that were irrationally exuberant. Words like "premium", "ultra premium", "tiers" even as much as the nuances between merger and acquisition gave line pilots certain unrealistic expectations.

"We saved YOU so therefore..." -- sorry Jones but you didn't save squat. You fly airplanes and no one asked your permission or for your blessing in a M&A scenario.

Your "number" is just your position on your companies seniority list.

"I'm number 300 out of 500, I fully expect to be 300 out of 1000 after we merge or I got screwed" -- this type of pilot math basically created expectations that had long-lasting psychological affects on job satisfaction for the rest of their career.

My best advice? Fly, have fun, leave work at work, avoid "groupthink". You don't have control and when/if any SLI is released it is what it is.

Truth.

If I can add any "old man" advice, it would be to continue doing your job, those that say they know anything don't, the ones that do aren't talking and don't get involved in a weenus-measuring contest thinking one carrier is superior to the other, THUS we should benefit more than the other in any sort of SLI.

The ones that are still butt-hurt at my airline about our last merger are generally those that were irrationally exuberant. Words like "premium", "ultra premium", "tiers" even as much as the nuances between merger and acquisition gave line pilots certain unrealistic expectations.

"We saved YOU so therefore..." -- sorry Jones but you didn't save squat. You fly airplanes and no one asked your permission or for your blessing in a M&A scenario.

Your "number" is just your position on your companies seniority list.

"I'm number 300 out of 500, I fully expect to be 300 out of 1000 after we merge or I got screwed" -- this type of pilot math basically created expectations that had long-lasting psychological affects on job satisfaction for the rest of their career.

My best advice? Fly, have fun, leave work at work, avoid "groupthink". You don't have control and when/if any SLI is released it is what it is.

BuT wE rEqUiReD cOlLeGe DeGrEeS wHiLe ThEy dIdN’t

Like @Richman and I are stepbrothers in the airline world.

I do some mid-level stuff in a certain department, he does some high-level stuff in others. Know what we do when we drink beer? Talk about cats, science fiction and video games. I don’t think I’ve said a word to him about the merger. Probably the only thing company-related we might discuss would be C20’s newsletters never being the same. LOL

Like @Richman and I are stepbrothers in the airline world.

I do some mid-level stuff in a certain department, he does some high-level stuff in others. Know what we do when we drink beer? Talk about cats, science fiction and video games. I don’t think I’ve said a word to him about the merger. Probably the only thing company-related we might discuss would be C20’s newsletters never being the same. LOL

Does he like your lapel pin that has the NW tail logo with the red circle around it and red slash through it?

Nah, I was never down with the jocular “my weenus is better than your weenus” because we all know we shotgunned applications out there and took the first dance partner.

What? You mean you didn’t live on easy street like the kids of today, with multiple mainline CJOs with minimums of hours? Whaaaa? :)

What? You mean you didn’t live on easy street like the kids of today, with multiple mainline CJOs with minimums of hours? Whaaaa? :)

See I’m gonna turn you into the Outfit for a reward.

And maybe, they’ll be so impressed that they’ll ask me to join. And I’ll be on easy street!

Medical, Dental, I’m just, I’m gonna walk you right in.

:)

in further merger news

Didn’t this news break before the jb/nk ruling?

Windfall and lottery are attack words right out of the merger playbook.

Just enjoy this cool job we get to do and leave work at work.
I expect to be a WB CA this time next year! But for real, could we do an A330F base in ANC? K thx bye!

Back