Captain Positions Offered to New Hires

I love that game. I win it every time.

"I suggest you arrange my hotel."

Hell yeah!

ā€But MSP is out of hotelsā€¦ā€

ā€Well, the W shows some openings, when Iā€™m behind the door, Iā€™ll give you a call and thatā€™s when my ten hours startsā€

in the Uber,,..

ā€This is the SouthernJets Crew Notification system. You are scheduled for deadhead flight 123 to LAX departing tomorrow at 0915, press 1 to acknowledgeā€

Had a jumpseater last year that was close to retirement and not ready to hang it up yet. Said the Skywest 135 thing was not gonna be a full schedule, it would be part time. Maybe 30-40 hours a month. The EAS network they have wouldn't support the old school 7 legs a day type EAS flying either. He mentioned they were purposely targeting retired major airline pilots and knew they wouldn't put up with that kind of stuff. Dunno if any of that is actually true but he made it sound like a decent retirement gig, if you wanted that sorta thing.
Just got off the phone with Skywest recruitment. For this charter thing they want 15 days a month. Too much work for me.

Hell yeah!

ā€But MSP is out of hotelsā€¦ā€

ā€Well, the W shows some openings, when Iā€™m behind the door, Iā€™ll give you a call and thatā€™s when my ten hours startsā€

in the Uber,,..

ā€This is the SouthernJets Crew Notification system. You are scheduled for deadhead flight 123 to LAX departing tomorrow at 0915, press 1 to acknowledgeā€

One of the best things about air beach ball is the company credit card. Tell them you need a hotel, if they play games for too long you can fix it yourself.

Ouch guys, that's kinda harsh.

I say more power to her and assume she is an enjoy the journey person as opposed to the destination.

Regardless, college is an outright scam. It's a transferring of wealth from the government (taxpayers) to colleges which leaves the students holding the pile of steaming pile $$$. The government needs to back the hell off student loans. Make loans be issued by either the colleges/universities themselves or by a local bank. And then watch the number of worthless degrees shrink. Lets be honest, colleges/universities would not be acting like how they are today if they knew the kids were directly on the hook for money loaned out by the college/university ITSELF.

You should have been at a major YEARS ago, but you were playing the ā€œcollege degrees are dumbā€ schtick when we all know youā€™re more than intelligent enough to have pulled that off in no time at all.

JSYK, I interviewed at AS in 2021, and WN twice this year (and I'm done trying with the latter.)

I've had apps in at UA and DL for six+ years.

A> Nobody requires degrees at this point.

B> If I'd started a legit degree program from a legit university, I'd problably still be slogging my way through it right now, at best, assuming I hadn't had to drop out due to lack of time, and:
B2> If I'd just bought a degree from a diploma mill like a lot of folks to "ChEcK ThE BoX," I would have sacrificed my integrity to do it.

C> Yes, I did do interview prep for the last two interviews, yes, I've done CP M&Gs. I have a bunch of honest, heart-felt letters of recommendation from people that I've actually flown with, who actually had good things to say about me and my flying. I don't have a single letter that I wrote for someone else to sign, nor have I pestered people I barely know to get them. I have numerous honest internal recs.

D> In my interviews, I tell the truth, I am myself, and I don't tell the made up stories that some interview prep places feed their candidates. I don't exaggerate or tell them "just what I think they want to hear."*

E> I have two checkride failures: My instrument rating 15 years ago, and my initial ATP oral. Other than that, my record is completely cleanā€”I haven't even received a stern talking to.

I have a lot more to say, but I've noticed that many folks here tend to get sanctimonious and preachy when someone disagrees with them, and discard anything the other person has to say. And as I'm posting this on a rare day off, I literally have better ways to spend my time.

*(Outside of the airlines, I have interviewed several dozen times in tech, and the only time I didn't get an offer was when I interviewed with PDI/Dreamworks. Their concern was that I wasn't invested in the feature film industry, which was true. I actually regret that a little because the project they were working on was right up my alley (HTTYD), and I am now currently very into 3D animation, rigging and other TD work, which is my major hobby/passion at the moment. I've also sat across the table on hundreds of interviews, and hired dozens of candidates who almost all excelled. I've never seen a process more geared to hire straight, cis white guys than airline interviews.)

I donā€™t know if you consider UVU illegitimate or a diploma mill, but I got my degree there online while working at my regional. Got 25% of my degree in experiential credit and finished the BS in 3 years. Going to school full time while working sucked but it was quick.

Just got off the phone with Skywest recruitment. For this charter thing they want 15 days a month. Too much work for me.
They may WANT 15 days a month, but if we are talking about a full on retirement gig Iā€™d have problem giving that I felt up for.

They are probably still able to find guys aging out at 65 who NEED to work vs those who want to do it as a retirement side gig. If they could get it down to 10, I'd be interested if the skeds aren't horrible.

I'm surprised more 135's don't work with retirees to allow a "job sharing" schedule. Two guys could work half a 16 day rotation and split the pay. Good deal for the company and good deal for the pilot. Initial training is the downside as you'd have to train two guys. I know Jet Linx is doing this but you have to live near a base. Cape Air does it. Maybe will see more of this in the future.

There have been legal challenges to the business model of removing seats from regional jets to operate under 135 (JSX and Skywest). Will be interesting to see what happens with that.

Probably because every 135 charter has tried hiring retired airline guys and found that they have trouble keeping up with the insanity of the operation, and after a career of having flight planning, catering, fueling, deicing, lavs, hotels, ground transportation etc arranged for them donā€™t adapt well to the 135 environmentā€¦.

A> Nobody requires degrees at this point.
Having anything that sets you out from the pack is a plus. United hasnā€™t ā€œrequiredā€ a degree for years if not more than a decade, yet I believe the statistic for a long time as 98% of their new hires had a four year degree. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if that number is still close. I didnā€™t see an uptick in people who didnā€™t have degrees getting calls until after 2021.

B> If I'd started a legit degree program from a legit university, I'd problably still be slogging my way through it right now, at best, assuming I hadn't had to drop out due to lack of time, and:
B2> If I'd just bought a degree from a diploma mill like a lot of folks to "ChEcK ThE BoX," I would have sacrificed my integrity to do it.
Define ā€œlegit university.ā€ Seriously, I await your response. An accredited university is an accredited university.
C> Yes, I did do interview prep for the last two interviews, yes, I've done CP M&Gs. I have a bunch of honest, heart-felt letters of recommendation from people that I've actually flown with, who actually had good things to say about me and my flying. I don't have a single letter that I wrote for someone else to sign, nor have I pestered people I barely know to get them. I have numerous honest internal recs.

D> In my interviews, I tell the truth, I am myself, and I don't tell the made up stories that some interview prep places feed their candidates. I don't exaggerate or tell them "just what I think they want to hear."*

E> I have two checkride failures: My instrument rating 15 years ago, and my initial ATP oral. Other than that, my record is completely cleanā€”I haven't even received a stern talking to.
Interview prep can be great for organizing your thoughts and pulling out stories and polishing up the formatting/presentation. Iā€™d be willing to be all your stories are there, youā€™ve been in the industry long enough. Iā€™ve never had a prep company tell me to make anything up. Ironically the job I prepped for is the one I didnā€™t get.
I have a lot more to say, but I've noticed that many folks here tend to get sanctimonious and preachy when someone disagrees with them, and discard anything the other person has to say. And as I'm posting this on a rare day off, I literally have better ways to spend my time.
I donā€™t think anyone is being sanctimonious or preachy, theyā€™re just disagreeing with your outlook on some of these things, because I donā€™t think they are accurate.
*(Outside of the airlines, I have interviewed several dozen times in tech, and the only time I didn't get an offer was when I interviewed with PDI/Dreamworks. Their concern was that I wasn't invested in the feature film industry, which was true. I actually regret that a little because the project they were working on was right up my alley (HTTYD), and I am now currently very into 3D animation, rigging and other TD work, which is my major hobby/passion at the moment.
The airline industry isnā€™t the tech industry (thank god.)
. I've never seen a process more geared to hire straight, cis white guys than airline interviews.)
I have no idea what this means.

I'm surprised more 135's don't work with retirees to allow a "job sharing" schedule. Two guys could work half a 16 day rotation and split the pay. Good deal for the company and good deal for the pilot. Initial training is the downside as you'd have to train two guys. I know Jet Linx is doing this but you have to live near a base. Cape Air does it. Maybe will see more of this in the future.

There have been legal challenges to the business model of removing seats from regional jets to operate under 135 (JSX and Skywest). Will be interesting to see what happens with that.

The FAA is pretty aggro about SWC at the moment... there have been some loud "This isn't what we had in mind" statements from them, which I think (and hope) is a sign of rulemaking intent.

*(Outside of the airlines, I have interviewed several dozen times in tech, and the only time I didn't get an offer was when I interviewed with PDI/Dreamworks. Their concern was that I wasn't invested in the feature film industry, which was true. I actually regret that a little because the project they were working on was right up my alley (HTTYD), and I am now currently very into 3D animation, rigging and other TD work, which is my major hobby/passion at the moment. I've also sat across the table on hundreds of interviews, and hired dozens of candidates who almost all excelled. I've never seen a process more geared to hire straight, cis white guys than airline interviews.)
You ask a straight white guy and theyll probably say the opposite. Dont carry that baggage into an interview, airlines WANT to hire people now.

Back