Captain Positions Offered to New Hires

I feel you? But keep in mind that there is a good chance that for 8 of those years you were stuck in the right seat at a regional I spent four of those years stuck in the seat of a dominos delivery car and the right seat of a 172 concurrently… and four years in the right seat at a regional.

Lol I don’t understand this. I’m getting push back because I’d hate to be forced to be a super junior captain in perpetuity and likely have to commute?

Kids these days indeed.

You honestly probably made more money than me during at least my first 3 years.

I’m glad things are different now, but I don’t have a ton of sympathy for “oh my god, it’s taking me 6 months to upgrade” these days.

I think most people would choose junior left seat over stagnant right seat which is why some people might give you push back.

We don’t currently have stagnant right seat though and guys that stay FOs will climb the category seniority much faster. Which is a lot different.

-7 year RJ FO
I get what you’re saying but I don’t agree that’s it’s most… if it IS most it’s not “most” by a whole lot.
This is the same argument as taking first available upgrade. Lots will. Lots won’t. I won’t.

-6 year RJ FO

I once complained about not being able to upgrade on a Super 80 Jumpseat and the captain told me about how many years he spent on the panel, then as an FO, before he upgraded (albeit, at a major) and then I stopped complaining. It was like 7 years then 15 years.

You honestly probably made more money than me during at least my first 3 years.

I’m glad things are different now, but I don’t have a ton of sympathy for “oh my god, it’s taking me 6 months to upgrade” these days.
Just curious… when do you think I started flying for the airlines

And show me where I made said anything similar to “oh my god, it’s taking me 6 months to upgrade”.

I’m thinking you might be projecting your frustrations with someone else onto me.

I get what you’re saying but I don’t agree that’s it’s most… if it IS most it’s not “most” by a whole lot.
This is the same argument as taking first available upgrade. Lots will. Lots won’t. I won’t.

-6 year RJ FO
Also, this is assuming RJ wages 10 years ago, I’m pretty much out of touch when it comes to present day RJ FO pay versus CA.

And math doesn’t account for slim majority. I think it’s either most or it isn’t. But that might be a bit pedantic.

-6 year RJ FO

I do get what you’re saying, but I don’t think it applies QUITE as much as it did at the regional level. While I was there we had people who upgraded right before the music stopped. While they could afford to eat, fir the 6 years of suck they had a lower min guarantee, one less day off each month, and most days off were movable.

I’m not familiar with United’s contract but I’d imagine it’s a little better. Plus I’d be willing to put up with more for $240/hr vs $76.

Truth be told, if I was certain that I could hold the left seat out of class, that could be one of the few things that lures me out of the ACMI world. But with my luck that music would stop and I’d have to sell a bunch of things (and organs) to get by on first year pay.

Just curious… when do you think I started flying for the airlines

And show me where I made said anything similar to “oh my god, it’s taking me 6 months to upgrade”.

I’m thinking you might be projecting your frustrations with someone else onto me.

I probably am. Mostly I’m just mad at myself for curbing a wheel this afternoon like an idiot. Thankfully I just happen to have the exact model and size of tire in my basement from my last car. But yeah, sorry for being a butthead

I do get what you’re saying, but I don’t think it applies QUITE as much as it did at the regional level. While I was there we had people who upgraded right before the music stopped. While they could afford to eat, fir the 6 years of suck they had a lower min guarantee, one less day off each month, and most days off were movable.

I’m not familiar with United’s contract but I’d imagine it’s a little better. Plus I’d be willing to put up with more for $240/hr vs $76.

Truth be told, if I was certain that I could hold the left seat out of class, that could be one of the few things that lures me out of the ACMI world. But with my luck that music would stop and I’d have to sell a bunch of things (and organs) to get by on first year pay.
110/169/198 first three steps on the narrow bodies. You can be narrowbody captain by year 2 at 317.

I probably am. Mostly I’m just mad at myself for curbing a wheel this afternoon like an idiot. Thankfully I just happen to have the exact model and size of tire in my basement from my last car. But yeah, sorry for being a butthead
lol no worries. I ran over a whole damn tree that was just over the crest of a hill at night about a month ago. My car makes a bunch a strange new noises and that bumper is going to whenever it feels like it.

Just for the record. A forced upgrade for a lot of people, most even (but not a many most ;) ). And for those people great. But there is a reason it’s going junior… and it’s not because the seniors want to see the junior gain valuable leadership skills. That’s why I’d pass.

Yeah and I was super grateful that it worked out that way… but at the time I WANTED to be a captain. Now I don’t. I’m not willing to change seats so I can perpetually bid 95%.

I mean you see how these are two different things right?

I understand. Just know though, that what you had at 2.5 months, we couldn’t hold for 7-8 yrs in those days. And THAT is when we’d be at the 99.99% mark (as opposed to 95).

Bottom barrel fish but at least it would have been a change. It worked out for me, but I kinda wish I had been able to upgrade onto the RJ. That would have been nice.

I understand. Just know though, that what you had at 2.5 months, we couldn’t hold for 7-8 yrs in those days. And THAT is when we’d be at the 99.99% mark (as opposed to 95).

Bottom barrel fish but at least it would have been a change. It worked out for me, but I kinda wish I had been able to upgrade onto the RJ. That would have been nice.
Small correction. That wasn’t my first airline. I also spent years as an FO.

I think most people would choose junior left seat over stagnant right seat which is why some people might give you push back.

We don’t currently have stagnant right seat though and guys that stay FOs will climb the category seniority much faster. Which is a lot different.

-7 year RJ FO
I kind of wonder if that applies with the pay rates where they are with new contracts. Second year will be the most money I've ever made and would at least have a modicum of control over my schedule and days off. Then again, I've never been stagnant for 7 years either.

Narrowbody.

756 is 336

Well im a dumbass on two counts.....1) didn't realize that was considered WB there, and 2) I guess our 2 yr CAs would *theoretically* make almost that much (though I doubt there has ever been a 2 year CA here). The difference between 314 and 317 is not an inconsequential amount of money however, at least with our flex months and general usage (esp for the new CAs)

I once complained about not being able to upgrade on a Super 80 Jumpseat and the captain told me about how many years he spent on the panel, then as an FO, before he upgraded (albeit, at a major) and then I stopped complaining. It was like 7 years then 15 years.
Yell “protect essential” out over the water to wake them up. :)

Back