Air Wagner

“What’s it doing?” (Assigned altitude 6000):
It's been quite some time since I flew a GA autopilot/flight director with such a level of sophistication (the Model 50 does not have such a sophisticated setup either), but it would seem to me that there's no active pitch mode in this picture.

It's been quite some time since I flew a GA autopilot/flight director with such a level of sophistication (the Model 50 does not have such a sophisticated setup either), but it would seem to me that there's no active pitch mode in this picture.

Tell us about the wait… fast edit! :)

Tell us about the wait… fast edit! :)
It's a nice old autopilot that is surprisingly capable despite its age and being married to some very nice new display and nav equipment. No flight director and no FMA, as those weren't even really features at that price point in the 60s. Yes, 1960s.

I’m half convinced that he’s actually competent and just completely trolling us

Jerry knows where the bodies are buried or something.

All my Jerry conspiracy theories involve him being some criminal informant in a high profile case that makes him immune from all federal prosecution. :D

You’re right, when I initially took that it was because he was futzing about why it wasn’t capturing the altitude at 6000 when 7000 was clearly selected, but looking at the autopilot he’s also only in AP and HDG mode (I wasn’t sure about the amber vs blue numbers on the Garmin). It’s also his first pilot deviation of the video in IMC and he hasn’t even gotten to the unusual attitude on approach yet. Foreshadowing things to come!

All my Jerry conspiracy theories involve him being some criminal informant in a high profile case that makes him immune from all federal prosecution. :D
I'm afraid the actual explanations for this are far more banal and bureaucratic, though it certainly is good "head-canon."

Meanwhile FAA suspended a guy for 6 months based off a doorbell camera video
I’ve been chewing on this since last night. So why the difference? Maybe in one there is an actual aggrieved party where there is not in the case of Jerry? That makes sense. But then there was the guy got busted for calling clear of the runway when he wasn’t passed the hood line. There was no one that the crime was committed against. There is no rhyme or reason to this. So to me that means this is a “different FSDOs” type situation.

Also, other than some really liberal application of 91.13, what actually FARs has he violated?

Also, other than some really liberal application of 91.13, what actually FARs has he violated?
Being that low is probably noncompliance with an ATC clearance (91.123).

But you nailed it. Most of what has been aired has been merely reckless operation (times 10,000 events) as opposed to a much more clearly articulated violation.

The fact that he gets to monetize it is pretty sickening, but oh well. As the NTSB have pointed out, the FAA's purpose is to ensure regulatory compliance—necessary but insufficient to assure safety.

You’re right, when I initially took that it was because he was futzing about why it wasn’t capturing the altitude at 6000 when 7000 was clearly selected, but looking at the autopilot he’s also only in AP and HDG mode (I wasn’t sure about the amber vs blue numbers on the Garmin). It’s also his first pilot deviation of the video in IMC and he hasn’t even gotten to the unusual attitude on approach yet. Foreshadowing things to come!

Been wondering if the G500 has FMA capability. You'd think it would. It's got to, right?

At least on my Dynon, when you're within 1000 of the bugged ALT, it changes color, which is also what it does on the E-145, so that may be why 7000 is amber there. So maybe he didn't have it in a climb mode and was just drifting up to an altitude that he shouldn't have selected to start with, but I don't know, obvs.

How CAN he scan? He’s got so much information being blasted at him with the insane amount of electronics he seems to need
I was thinking the same thing. Way too much going on with the electronics. That alone causes a ton of extra work for no reason.

I was thinking the same thing. Way too much going on with the electronics. That alone causes a ton of extra work for no reason.
Tech heads are always wondering if they can, without asking if they should.

(Also most avtech nowadays is just grift. Carry on.)

Oh that’s precisely it, I’m sure. Take 3/4s of that • out of his panel and I’d wager he’s flying skills would improve by at least an order of magnitude. I feel like most of the poor flying I’ve seen him do (sans really poor decision making) could very often be contributed to finger blasting one panel or another.

Back