Air Wagner

Thumbed through most of it. Maybe watched about 20 seconds total. Jesus that was enough.

For those that don’t want to watch to minute 26…

“What’s it doing?” (Assigned altitude 6000):
684AC2B6-5F9C-4C29-B2C9-79B4A414010D.png

Trying to activate vectors to final on the RNAV 10L into OAK, from just outside the FAF (by the way, why not menu, activate leg and just intercept that segment?). Activates approach from IAF instead. Turns into IMC to follow course guidance to IAF (at FAF altitude). Realizes in IMC, disconnects autopilot, does this…

2FD0A456-69C9-46A2-B129-8AF52B1AEBCC.png

EB4C5227-18F1-4B8A-B082-7FC83FC9D97B.png

Breaks out around 1000 ft.
Poor bastard in the right seat: “Woah!”
Jerry: “I’ve got it!”

E46555B6-B5ED-46A4-BA8C-334974E89AEE.png

“Tower the autopilot threw us off course!”

This is the second time since I’ve been paying attention Jerry has, for lack of a better word, “fallen out of” an instrument approach to OAK in IMC and then put it on YouTube (the first was the ILS 28R). He’s either got nine lives, or the self awareness to have high enough personal minimums that he can recover from the inevitable unusual attitude, or both.

Screenshots preserved here for the historical record if this video disappears tomorrow.

For those that don’t want to watch to minute 26…

“What’s it doing?” (Assigned altitude 6000):
View attachment 71521

Trying to activate vectors to final on the RNAV 10L into OAK, from just outside the FAF (by the way, why not menu, activate leg and just intercept that segment?). Activates approach from IAF instead. Turns into IMC to follow course guidance to IAF (at FAF altitude). Realizes in IMC, disconnects autopilot, does this…

View attachment 71522
View attachment 71523

Breaks out around 1000 ft.
Poor bastard in the right seat: “Woah!”
Jerry: “I’ve got it!”

View attachment 71524

“Tower the autopilot threw us off course!”

This is the second time since I’ve been paying attention Jerry has, for lack of a better word, “fallen out of” an instrument approach to OAK in IMC and then put it on YouTube (the first was the ILS 28R). He’s either got nine lives, or the self awareness to have high enough personal minimums that he can recover from the inevitable unusual attitude, or both.

Screenshots preserved here for the historical record if this video disappears tomorrow.
I think the first video you’re referring to got deleted, but it was bad. The only reason he recovered was because he popped out of the bottom of the clouds. If it was down to mins he would have smacked right into that freeway.

I think the first video you’re referring to got deleted, but it was bad. The only reason he recovered was because he popped out of the bottom of the clouds. If it was down to mins he would have smacked right into that freeway.
It’s almost note for note exactly the same thing that happened in this one - 2nd, 3rd and 4th picture above are the unusual attitude and break out at ~1000 ft.

He’s going to pull the “Jerry Graveyard Spiral on final” on an approach to actual real minimums one day and kill his wife and whoever right seat guy is, and maybe the Oakland FSDO can answer for what they’ve been waiting for the last decade.

Back