SWA announces COVID vaccination required by Dec 8 to maintain employment

Them ~"I know THOUSANDS of Southwest pilots that called out sick."

Me~ "A huge number of cancelations happened back in early summer very similar to this before there was even word of a vaccine mandate. Southwest is very short staffed and any tickle to the system couses a huge cascading mess. It has nothing to do with vaccine mandates."

Them ~"No. This is different. The pilots are taking their airline back..."

Me~ "No. That would technically be illegal if were true."

Them ~ " 'Let's Go Brandon' "

Me~ "Facepalm"

I was asked today in a FB group, wth the RLA has to do with airlines? It deals with railroads. :D

The “do your own research” crowd is so quick to cite multiple “studies” and unsubstantiated FaceBook articles from reputable and patriotic sources that nobody has ever heard of like labtruth.org or vaxknow.us warning us of many long-term side effects and dangers of the vaccine, while in the same breath saying it “just hasn’t been out long enough” and “we just don’t know enough.”

Which is it?

Some morons put it out there that “DURRR DURRRRR DELTA HAD A PILOTZ DIEEEEEE FROM THE VACCINE IN FLIGHT!” which is absolute tripe and the company has had to put out statements like “this is not true”.

Don’t want to get a vax, just please quit. I’m so over this ridiculousness.

They're

pRoTeCtInG yOuR R1gHtS!!

though

I’m sorry, I’m going to go right ahead and say that the people that are claiming to “pRoTeCt My RiGhTs” are probably a lot of the people who don’t want me to have many. I have never met an anti-vaxer that probably think “good old days” would be me serving them high tea wearing an all white uniform as they sat in a breezy antebellum pergola.

I am more than happy to be politely proven wrong, but I’d better not hold my breath.

Some morons put it out there that “DURRR DURRRRR DELTA HAD A PILOTZ DIEEEEEE FROM THE VACCINE IN FLIGHT!” which is absolute tripe and the company has had to put out statements like “this is not true”.

Don’t want to get a vax, just please quit. I’m so over this ridiculousness.
If it makes you feel any better, I only fly on Delta now due to their anti-mandate stance on vaccination.

Ill be on 2 delta flights today.

• Haha
Reactions: JEP
I’m sorry, I’m going to go right ahead and say that the people that are claiming to “pRoTeCt My RiGhTs” are probably a lot of the people who don’t want me to have many. I have never met an anti-vaxer that probably think “good old days” would be me serving them high tea wearing an all white uniform as they sat in a breezy antebellum pergola.

I am more than happy to be politely proven wrong, but I’d better not hold my breath.

Well, I didn't intend that barb to be taken as a comment on racial or sociocultural issues. A question I keep hearing, and it's valid, is "so you support this mandate because you agree with it, but what are you going to do if Biden mandates 'turn in your guns next week' or 'everyone who drives a Tesla has to move to Jersey?'" Realistic or likely? No. But it does raise its own set of questions as to what people would do if a mandate came down with which they didn't agree.

I don't think everyone who's taking this stance is necessarily anti vax, though I'm sure a Venn diagram would look pretty close to circular; they're anti government control. Same thing @SlumTodd_Millionaire has been on about since mask mandates became a thing.

Well, I didn't intend that barb to be taken as a comment on racial or sociocultural issues. A question I keep hearing, and it's valid, is "so you support this mandate because you agree with it, but what are you going to do if Biden mandates 'turn in your guns next week' or 'everyone who drives a Tesla has to move to Jersey?'" Realistic or likely? No. But it does raise its own set of questions as to what people would do if a mandate came down with which they didn't agree.

I don't think everyone who's taking this stance is necessarily anti vax, though I'm sure a Venn diagram would look pretty close to circular; they're anti government control. Same thing @SlumTodd_Millionaire has been on about since mask mandates became a thing.

Which I get. But the thing is, unlike the mask mandates, there isn’t an actual vaccine mandate. You don’t have to get a vaccine. You just can’t be a government contractor without one. That’s why the other mandate examples you give don’t compare.

Which I get. But the thing is, unlike the mask mandates, there isn’t an actual vaccine mandate. You don’t have to get a vaccine. You just can’t be a government contractor without one. That’s why the other mandate examples you give don’t compare.

I agree. The argument holds little water, though in the interest of an intellectual discussion, let's change the verbiage: "anyone who drives a Tesla can't be a government contractor." Sell the car, or burn your life to the ground and start over? Hang a Gadsden flag out the window and make a TikTok short?

For what it's worth, I asked a few of these newly-outed nutjobs if they had to take inoculations to go to public school or enlist in the military. The answer, and I quote, was "I only wish those were remotely similar to this scenario. Unfortunately, they’re not."

Still trying to figure that one out.

What do you say to these guys whose latest argument is "it's not a vaccine, it's a therapeutic. It doesn't stop you from getting or spreading Covid?"

I don't have a good answer for that one. Not that it should be my job to defend the vaccine. I just feel as though we have a societal responsibility to protect our communities and there are a great many people who are unwilling to do anything for the greater good.

There’s not an anti-mandate stance.
Yeah, but, the thing is, Captain McMAGAt (A350/A) can just pay the $200/month and continue to cough all over his coworkers and then probably (? I presume the leave is still paid/unlimited) bang out Covid-Sick, so it's the gentlest and least effective possible way to make things happen, and it's not fair to the vast majority of SJI employees that don't make enough to buy a new truck every month, either. (And who probably, disproportionately, cannot afford to go down with COVID-19 either, or are more likely to suffer long-term harm therefrom.)

What do you say to these guys whose latest argument is "it's not a vaccine, it's a therapeutic. It doesn't stop you from getting or spreading Covid?"
"Who forged your diploma?"

I don't have a good answer for that one. Not that it should be my job to defend the vaccine. I just feel as though we have a societal responsibility to protect our communities and there are a great many people who are unwilling to do anything for the greater good.

I don't think anyone, at least not those anyones, has cared about the greater good since Saint Ronald Reagan was in the White House.

Hit'em with this:

"Advil doesn't cure an injury. It just relieves the pain associated with it. By your logic you shouldn't take advil because it doesn't 'fix your injury'."

Most medicine doesn't cure problems. They mostly just reduce risks. This goes from anything from heart medication to diabetes medication.

I mean it does stop you from getting or spreading Covid in most cases, it's just not 100% effective; but then few things are perfectly effective 100% of the time. Plus even if you do catch Covid it greatly reduces your chances of having a severe case, needing to be hospitalized or dying.

I mean it does stop you from getting or spreading Covid in most cases, it's just not 100% effective; but then few things are perfectly effective 100% of the time. Plus even if you do catch Covid it greatly reduces your chances of having a severe case, needing to be hospitalized or dying.
Safety risk management would call this "as low as reasonably practicable" and that's where we should all be.

Back