SWA announces COVID vaccination required by Dec 8 to maintain employment

This! Idk why folks keep throwing the word “strike” around. If there was a strike then that would mean there’s a helluva lot of scabs out there after this weekend.
OK this is actually starting to seriously worry me. I've seen the "scab" word thrown around a bit on some facebook posts. If my carrier does this sick out •, which is being strongly hinted that we should, I will NOT participate. This is absolutely not something I support, and I'm getting worried my toeing of the line is going to hurt me in the future. This is not a solidarity issue.

OK this is actually starting to seriously worry me. I've seen the "scab" word thrown around a bit on some facebook posts. If my carrier does this sick out •, which is being strongly hinted that we should, I will NOT participate. This is absolutely not something I support, and I'm getting worried my toeing of the line is going to hurt me in the future. This is not a solidarity issue.
@SlumTodd_Millionaire remember when I took your advice and gave up a spot as an airline pilot to go do something else. Man did I ever dodge a bullet.

to be a scab, one would have to cross a picket line, or work struck work, of a legally sanctioned strike. There’s no other definition, and a sick out doesn’t meet the criteria.

Back in 2016, IBT at ABX tried an illegal strike when there was no release to do so, which they tried to call ATI ALPA pilots scabs for flying some of their stuff, when ALPA told them what they had was informational picketing only, not a legal strike. Hence, can’t be calling the ATI guys scabs, because they weren’t.

Anyone who thinks the “I won’t social distance/wear a mask/get a vax because it’s infringing on my rights” crowd will submit to blood testing for antibodies is delusional. And the ones who will, will be out there throwing covid parties so they can avoid the vax and clogging ICUs…again.

I suspect there’s actually a not-insignificant number of them…I definitely know a few who are actually going through with it on their own, getting tested every month so they can prove they don’t need the vaccine.

My guess is that the natural immunity>vaccine folks are people too intelligent to believe the nonsense that the vaccine doesn’t work and is dangerous but still have enough loyalty to their political football team to want to avoid getting the shot.

And @Old Pete , I think the reason companies aren’t going to allow antibody testing in lieu of vaccination is that there haven’t been large scale, rigorous studies of various antibody test responses and covid outcomes…which there have been for the vaccines. They’re safe and they work. Natural immunity likely is quite good for a lot of people, but for how long and how many isn’t well known enough right now.

to be a scab, one would have to cross a picket line, or work struck work, of a legally sanctioned strike. There’s no other definition, and a sick out doesn’t meet the criteria.

Back in 2016, IBT at ABX tried an illegal strike when there was no release to do so, which they tried to call ATI ALPA pilots scabs for flying some of their stuff, when ALPA told them what they had was informational picketing only, not a legal strike. Hence, can’t be calling the ATI guys scabs, because they weren’t.
No I know what a scab is. I’m not worried about scabbing. I’m worried some of these people will see my non participation in a non sanctioned work action will have a similar perception to that of a scab. “Scab” gets thrown around way too much… like in the ATI/ABX event, or I like when Go Jet was founded people called their pilots scabs. It’s the wrong use, but it doesn’t have to be right for someone to hold a grudge.

I’d be really peeved if my failure to call in sick for some bull • cost an opportunity in the training department.

I have worked zero (0) days without an OO pilot calling me a scab for having the audacity to point out that illegal concerted activity is, uh, illegal.

Did you read the study or just repeating what you hear on the news? Because if you read the study, it did say natural immunity is better than the vaccine, but the best is if you could have both, and the best way to get both is to be vaccinated when you get COVID.
Exactly what I said.
Now as far as the Sears good/better/best rating. I'll buy that, but I don't think that's what it said. It, or another study showed that, if one were exposed to the virus and then were vaccinated, one would have more antibodies than if they weren't, well I think that's a no brainer, and the vice versa, if you are vaxxed and then exposed to the Sars cov-2 virus you will have more anti-bodies than if you weren't, (in fact I said to my wife who is eager for the booster, (you want a booster? just go down to the jail and inhale, I hear there's an outbreak there.)
But, despite the fact that I'm a "more is better" kinda guy, there is probably a point of diminishing returns with anti-body titers. and getting both (vaccine and infection) probably isn't much better than either individually.

And @Old Pete , I think the reason companies aren’t going to allow antibody testing in lieu of vaccination is that there haven’t been large scale, rigorous studies of various antibody test responses and covid outcomes…which there have been for the vaccines. They’re safe and they work. Natural immunity likely is quite good for a lot of people, but for how long and how many isn’t well known enough right now.
Ill agree and disagree. The study referred to is marginal, but the reason companies aren't going for it has nothing to do with "science".

Exactly what I said.
Now as far as the Sears good/better/best rating. I'll buy that, but I don't think that's what it said. It, or another study showed that, if one were exposed to the virus and then were vaccinated, one would have more antibodies than if they weren't, well I think that's a no brainer, and the vice versa, if you are vaxxed and then exposed to the Sars cov-2 virus you will have more anti-bodies than if you weren't, (in fact I said to my wife who is eager for the booster, (you want a booster? just go down to the jail and inhale, I hear there's an outbreak there.)
But, despite the fact that I'm a "more is better" kinda guy, there is probably a point of diminishing returns with anti-body titers. and getting both (vaccine and infection) probably isn't much better than either individually.

I had Covid in Feb. I guess it would be classified as a mild case because I didn't go to the hospital, but I sure never want to get it again. So a few months later I was vaccinated. Then, once boosters were available I figured "what the heck?"

My thinking was that I spend 8 hours a day locked in a metal cubicle with a coworker, neither of us wearing a mask, and the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are not vaccinated.

In addition, we were headed to Florida for a family vacation and Florida has kind of been a hotspot lately. I knew I was going to be in big crowds with a lot of non-vaccinated people. So better safe than sorry.

I read the same article that you did, and felt reasonably comfortable with my immune system having been trained by two doses of Pfizer and a round of natural infection. But it gave me some peace of mind.

I'm neither scientist nor researcher. I asked my family doctor and my AME what they thought, took their advice and did what I felt was right.

I don't think I was signaling virtue because I did it for me and my family, not for anyone else. And I would've done it regardless of who was in political office. (I'm not a fan of identity politics. We separate ourselves into tribes in plenty of other ways. Last thing I need is another echo chamber)

When push comes to shove I sincerely doubt any of these airlines are going to fire a whole bunch of people. They like money, and they're not going to intentionally make it so they can't fly the published schedule over the holidays. I suspect there will be a last minute reprieve that will allow both parties and the govt to at least partially save face.

On the whole SWA scheduling mess and cancellations from the past week, man are there some SWA pilots who are instantly defensive and manically sensitive to even the slightest bit of criticism of that airline.

something I’ve observed offline from here on another site. Normally rational people, until their beloved airline was critiqued in the least.

One guy made a funny quip that SWA, is Sun Country who taxies too fast. The jets do have a similar look…

Just a number of weeks ago, I had a SWA jet racing to pass me opposite side to final, as I was slowing to start getting configured on a heading to join final, just so they could be sequenced by approach ahead of me on final. Then as I’m rolling out on a 9 mile final, they’re several miles ahead of me and nearly co-altitude, asking tower for s-turns on final because they were too high and too fast, at their short distance to the runway. :ooh:

The Weather excuse…….clear and a million it looks like in the pic, and no wind too. Goes nicely with the mysteriously absent ATC delays. :)

DF3F2291-A897-4C66-A342-8C1E99919B85.jpeg

Back