AS application question-employment history

Is your rec able to set up a CP meet and greet? (They’re on Zoom now)
Yes, though I haven't yet. It feels presumptuous to bother a BCP with something like that, though most of that is that I don't really understand the culture well enough to know whether that sort of thing is normal or not.

I'll send an email this week, just in case.

Yes, though I haven't yet. It feels presumptuous to bother a BCP with something like that, though most of that is that I don't really understand the culture well enough to know whether that sort of thing is normal or not.

IMO, do it. They made it sound like they have been impressed so far and will call those they see. That’s just what it sounded like to me. I don’t think they’ll be bothered. It’s in the CP update to set up a CP meet n greet if we know someone and want to vouch for them, via a Zoom call. It will be 3 way call: you, CP, and your pilot friend who sent you.

I did one before COVID with the system chief. Buddy of mine who was a line pilot made the appt and just walked me in. He was super friendly and it was low threat, in spite of me getting all dressed up. He did not seem the least bit inconvenienced, and it appeared to be a normal thing, though I'll defer to the others on that judgement.

I set up one for a buddy. No one seemed bothered. It is the best way to get an interview IMO. It was just difficult to coordinate 3 schedules and the onus is on the pilot doing the recommendation. So buy your buddy a beer or 3…

My buddy wisely went to United

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set up one for a buddy. No one seemed bothered. It is the best way to get an interview IMO. It was just difficult to coordinate 3 schedules and the onus is on the pilot doing the recommendation. So buy your buddy a beer or 3…

My buddy wisely went to United

Can you give a breakdown of the questions, format, length, etc?

Can you give a breakdown of the questions, format, length, etc?

The base CP we spoke with had my buddies resume printed out but I would bring one anyway. We went through the cursory set of awkward introductions and I did my best to not look like I wanted to leave the entire time. My buddy treated it like a job interview. He dressed nice. I dressed in business casual. Like you would for the sim center.

Really it was just 15-20 minutes of informal discussion after that. Just show up with some dazzling questions to make the Chief well, feel like the big wig Chief he is. I don't remember what we spoke about. Just my typical feelings of skepticism for anything that management says around here. I smiled and nodded my head a lot because I felt like not opening my mouth and looking like I was enjoying myself would help my buddy get an interview.

Once you are done stroking ego and looking dapper and extremely interested you will likely be granted either a pony or the opportunity for an interview. It was pretty standard meet and greet stuff. Basically do you creep the entire room out and make the Chief feel like he would rather be doing something else than talk to you? Yeah you probably wont get an interview.

Nothing earth shattering, just a slightly formalized networking event.

The base CP we spoke with had my buddies resume printed out but I would bring one anyway. We went through the cursory set of awkward introductions and I did my best to not look like I wanted to leave the entire time. My buddy treated it like a job interview. He dressed nice. I dressed in business casual. Like you would for the sim center.

Really it was just 15-20 minutes of informal discussion after that. Just show up with some dazzling questions to make the Chief well, feel like the big wig Chief he is. I don't remember what we spoke about. Just my typical feelings of skepticism for anything that management says around here. I smiled and nodded my head a lot because I felt like not opening my mouth and looking like I was enjoying myself would help my buddy get an interview.

Once you are done stroking ego and looking dapper and extremely interested you will likely be granted either a pony or the opportunity for an interview. It was pretty standard meet and greet stuff. Basically do you creep the entire room out and make the Chief feel like he would rather be doing something else than talk to you? Yeah you probably wont get an interview.

Nice attitude!

The odds of them calling are almost zero—~5000tt (that's respectable), only ~600tpic (jet) (a lot of folks have zero tpic), no degree (that's correctable), no job fairs (I've never been to a job fair and in the last 3 weeks have scheduled 3 interviews at legacy carriers), two checkride busts (these are building blocks. What did you learn? how did you correct the issues? A lot of folks have a bust), and only one internal LOR. But I have my app in, because AS is where I want to work.

I'm going to guess that a number of those 1500 are pilots like me, with apps in but little realistic chance of being hired.

Keep on trucking. You're more competitive than you'd think.

How much emphasis is there in how well you know the said candidate? Like is there a “do you only know this guy through jumpseating?”

If you are lumping Alaska Airlines in with Legacy carriers such as Delta, United, American, etc. and expecting a similiar career at Alaska, I think you’ll find you are in for some disappointment.
I am not, it was a general statement. I'm not interviewing with AS. I was addressing who I quoted.

Wait til you upgrade and start making 300k. Your tune will change :)

I really don’t know what to say, If you are truly making 300k as a captain at Alaska Airlines that is great and I’m genuinely happy for you. I was hired a handful of months after the junior captain awarded on the latest bid and I have no illusions of upgrading anytime soon, with an effective date in January of next year I remain very skeptical that this bid actually plays out, having said that I truly hope it does.
I will maintain that the only thing Legacy about Alaska is that we fly 737s and Airbus, but so do the other non regional airlines, I feel like we fall pretty woefully short in every other metric if one glances at the contracts of other so called legacy airlines.

truly making 300k as a captain at Alaska Airlines
With reserve guys no longer able to pick up trips on days off, there's no way a junior skipper is making that much

All your points are spot on, this contract being negotiated is a massive mountain to climb if a large percentage of the pilot group is "just happy to have a job".

Back