Swayne coming to a 121 near you

The amount of people clamoring to get into the cadet program is staggering

The number of Envoy pilots clamoring to get out of Envoy is likewise staggering

deserves a huge thanks from the pilot group

I'd put him right up there with those of us who voted no three times, but when the third vote passed anyway, voted with our feet and left, "bonus" money in hand.

I don’t get YouTube at all.

Yea, there is a bit of original stuff that verges on interesting. And yea, a certain proportion of that verges on “dang, that’s pretty cool” (I’m looking at you Warhammer 40k lore).

But beyond that, it just seems like channel after channel that just completely rips off other people’s stuff. They wouldn’t be doing it if there wasn’t money involved, while people running their own stuff get shut down by the bots for copyright infringement from other people jacking their videos.
Sure if you sort by popular that seems to be the case. It’s niche areas of interest that it really shines. For instance I just watched a 30 minute video on how to set up PHD2 properly to get the best performance out of an AVX equatorial mount. That’s good information. That’s why I use YouTube.

There is some incredibly educational content on YouTube. Back in 2005 I couldn't have watched a graduate level lecture from the world's leading cosmologist talking about the Big Bang unless I was a graduate student at his university. Now a dozen of them are posted on YouTube. For free.

Sure if you sort by popular that seems to be the case. It’s niche areas of interest that it really shines. For instance I just watched a 30 minute video on how to set up PHD2 properly to get the best performance out of an AVX equatorial mount. That’s good information. That’s why I use YouTube.

My first house is still standing because of what I learned on YouTube

Do you know how much work it takes to put together the incredible set of videos and documentation he has on his YouTube channel? It's not easy, I'll say that. Also, have you ever worked in or closely with recruiting? It's a very difficult job trying to sort out the amount of resumes and determining the right set of candidates. At Envoy especially. The amount of people clamoring to get into the cadet program is staggering in and of itself. Everybody and their brother are attracted to the program because of working for American Airlines. That is a full time job for a full staff as it is and you have an overworked recruiting department of a handful of people trying to fill the current open slots along with trying to plan for the future with the right candidates. Swayne has done every pilot at Envoy a service by putting out these videos and deserves a huge thanks from the pilot group.
Feel free to make that into actual "advancing-the-profession" work, anytime.

Oh, right.

71aye.jpg

YouTubing isn't hard, by the way. You can pay someone in Mexico about $4/hr to do all of the video editing, posting, tagging, etc. All he has to do is record the raw content. Might cost him a few dozen dollars a month to have someone do all of the work, while he's meanwhile monetizing it and profiting.

In Iraqi Kurdistan I met a rookie wannabee Youtuber from Israel who came just to get views from Iraq titled clickbait. He walked around town wearing a yamaka hoping to find controversy, but he found none. The rest of his videos are boring ones about free shower sandals, milking the trip posting one video per day of travel. Sadly, he met a famous Indian youtuber who was also in town exploiting Kurdistan for views rather than actually travel and see things, who gave him a shoutout. Now the "Israeli in Iraq" videos have thousands of views, generating income for the idiot.

I don't care for Swayne's rose colored glasses recruitment videos, but watching him at a influencer panel at Oshkosh, he did seem leagues above the rest in terms of genuineness.

In Iraqi Kurdistan I met a rookie wannabee Youtuber from Israel who came just to get views from Iraq titled clickbait. He walked around town wearing a yamaka hoping to find controversy, but he found none. The rest of his videos are boring ones about free shower sandals, milking the trip posting one video per day of travel. Sadly, he met a famous Indian youtuber who was also in town exploiting Kurdistan for views rather than actually travel and see things, who gave him a shoutout. Now the "Israeli in Iraq" videos have thousands of views, generating income for the idiot.

I don't care for Swayne's rose colored glasses recruitment videos, but watching him at a influencer panel at Oshkosh, he did seem leagues above the rest in terms of genuineness.
I rather enjoy seeing bits of your adventures float past, by the way; hope you are enjoying it (you seem to be).

Genuiness and GENIUS. Kids a prodigy. Well thought of by management in general and the recruiting department totally loves him.

I would like to point out that Swayne has done more for the pilot group, on his own time, than probably anyone in the history of Envoy.
Do you know how much work it takes to put together the incredible set of videos and documentation he has on his YouTube channel? It's not easy, I'll say that. Also, have you ever worked in or closely with recruiting? It's a very difficult job trying to sort out the amount of resumes and determining the right set of candidates. At Envoy especially. The amount of people clamoring to get into the cadet program is staggering in and of itself. Everybody and their brother are attracted to the program because of working for American Airlines. That is a full time job for a full staff as it is and you have an overworked recruiting department of a handful of people trying to fill the current open slots along with trying to plan for the future with the right candidates. Swayne has done every pilot at Envoy a service by putting out these videos and deserves a huge thanks from the pilot group.
Sounds more like Swayne has done more for Envoy management and pilot recruitment than for the pilot group. Not to take away from the work he puts into it, but to say he has done more for the pilot group is a huge disservice to the ones who actually have done so much for the pilot group, both past and present.

Sounds more like Swayne has done more for Envoy management and pilot recruitment than for the pilot group. Not to take away from the work he puts into it, but to say he has done more for the pilot group is a huge disservice to the ones who actually have done so much for the pilot group, both past and present.

Hot take. He's hurting the pilot group by getting people to want to work there and accept it for what it is. I love it.

I actually respect there hell out of the guy for doing something other than playing video games on his days off. He's hustling, and a lot of, ahem, BOOMERS don't see people hustling, they just see a young guy seeking attention. I don't get the impression that's Swayne's motivation at all. But, being a somewhat-grizzled, partially-jaded veteran of a decade of doing this now, I have to chuckle at the content and the delivery.

Dacuj, on the other hand....

I don’t get YouTube at all.

Yea, there is a bit of original stuff that verges on interesting. And yea, a certain proportion of that verges on “dang, that’s pretty cool” (I’m looking at you Warhammer 40k lore).

But beyond that, it just seems like channel after channel that just completely rips off other people’s stuff. They wouldn’t be doing it if there wasn’t money involved, while people running their own stuff get shut down by the bots for copyright infringement from other people jacking their videos.
I mostly find the real value in YouTube to watch music videos from bands I like, which usually leads to discovery of new bands / music in the suggested videos to follow.

Plus, some of the backyard / garage / basement science and tinkering channels are fun. Hydraulic Press Channel is strangely entertaining to me.

Back