Best Diet for Pilots?

What's really scary about this conversation is that it's the first time I think I've ever agreed with Todd wholeheartedly.

This whole thread can be summed up with one video:

Hey, you can still eat that stuff. I had some rolled tacos with guac the other day. What I'm advocating is cutting it back to less than 20% of your overall diet. 100% compliance is not realistic, and will often lead to failure, just like incessant calorie counting.

What I'm really saying is that when I'm 45, I want to be active and healthy, not fat, chronically ill, and worried about keeping my medical. I'm 31 as well, and now is the time to start really thinking about this stuff; treat your body right through your 30s and into your 40s, and your chances of maintaining good health are greatly improved later on. Fill your arteries with plaque now, and you may not be able to reverse this stuff later.

I'm also guessing what people are trying is loading up their plates with bland, steamed veggies, and calling that a meal alongside a bland, skinless piece of chicken. Yeah, no thanks. No wonder people fail. What eating better teaches you is that properly prepared and seasoned, veggies and healthy foods are delicious. Research some recipes and learn what you like. Don't be afraid of oils and monounsaturated fats, either (fat doesn't make you fat!).

But, it's really up to everyone. Do you want to be a slave to junk food, and let it ruin your health? Or, would you rather continue to be healthy, and still enjoy the occasional ice cream or burrito as a treat? I know what I choose.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423455925.108556.jpg

No wonder this country is one of the worst in the world in terms of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease!
That I agree with. All joking aside, my wife actually cooks pretty healthy, and I get probably 3-4 salads a week. If left to my own devices I'd probably eat out way too much and eat much worse then I do. That said, I'm 31, have 2 kids that keep me active, and play ice hockey 2-3 times a week. I could use a little ore muscle mass, but I'm doing ok. (I gave up meat for lent 2 years ago and survived, but did not enjoy it. We are smarter as humans...therefore smarter = apex predator.)

Like I said, I'll take the heart attack over the weeds.
Weeds, huh. Well, maybe that would explain why you tried and failed. ;)

Below is what I had to eat today, and yes, I could have added more greens. I know Todd isn't listening, but this might help someone else:

Breakfast:

-3 eggs cooked in coconut oil. Black coffee. This is fairly high in calories, so for those looking to cut weight, better options are available. A friend of mine just turned me on to chia seed/cashew milk pudding (make all the ch-ch-ch-chia jokes you want!) mixed with blueberries. Delicious. Might be my go-to breakfast from now on.

Lunch:

-Spaghetti squash mixed with boneless pork and pesto. A much healthier alternative to pasta, and it tastes great.

Afternoon snack:

-Mixed nuts and green tea (I sometimes do a banana with almond butter instead)

Dinner:

-Chicken (skin on), with a huge (I mean, really huge) helping of kale cooked with garlic, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of banana squash.

Dessert:

-Grapes and raspberries, and probably some sort of herbal tea before bed.

Not really much in the way of weeds in there. I didn't count calories at all, and at no point did I have to make myself go hungry. When I got hungry, I ate until I was full. No sugar, no refined carbs. Everything tasted good. Really no downsides here.

5-6 years ago, I would have shrugged and said, "yeah, I get the healthy lifestyle, and that's cool for you, but cheeseburgers, beer, bourbon, wings and anything with a ton of cream in it are what make life worth living." And I would say that while smoking a pack of Camel Lights.

About 2-3 years ago, I realized I could do all of those things, but I was suddenly paying a noticeable price in how I felt.

And then I hit 40. And realized that if I wanted to FEEL good, I had to change things.

For me, the same kind of diet @dasleben recommends is the one that not only makes me feel better, but makes me happy. I say this as a man who nurses a severe addiction to tex-mex - specifically, breakfast tacos with chorizo.

Healthy eating makes me a better person, because I'm a hell of a lot nicer when I'm happy.

Weeds, huh. Well, maybe that would explain why you tried and failed. ;)

Below is what I had to eat today, and yes, I could have added more greens. I know Todd isn't listening, but this might help someone else:

Breakfast:

-3 eggs cooked in coconut oil. Black coffee. This is fairly high in calories, so for those looking to cut weight, better options are available. A friend of mine just turned me on to chia seed/cashew milk pudding (make all the ch-ch-ch-chia jokes you want!) mixed with blueberries. Delicious. Might be my go-to breakfast from now on.

Lunch:

-Spaghetti squash mixed with boneless pork and pesto. A much healthier alternative to pasta, and it tastes great.

Afternoon snack:

-Mixed nuts and green tea (I sometimes do a banana with almond butter instead)

Dinner:

-Chicken (skin on), with a huge (I mean, really huge) helping of kale cooked with garlic, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of banana squash.

Dessert:

-Grapes and raspberries, and probably some sort of herbal tea before bed.

Not really much in the way of weeds in there. I didn't count calories at all, and at no point did I have to make myself go hungry. When I got hungry, I ate until I was full. No sugar, no refined carbs. Everything tasted good. Really no downsides here.

Do they have a menu like this, but for men?

Bread and pasta are not bad you. If you stick to whole grain your fine. Next your going to tell me to stop eating brown rice or oats because it's a carb. What happened to a balanced diet, moderation, and exercise.

Any evidence on dairy being bad? I've been told that sting cheese is a healthy snack. Casien is very popular with the fitness crowd and find it hard they would poison themselves.

Last edited:
Bread and pasta are not bad you. If you stick to whole grain your fine. Next your going to tell me to stop eating brown rice or oats because it's a carb.
Whole grains are fine. My posts have been discussing the avoidance of refined carbohydrates (breads and pastas are typically refined and artificially enriched). And as you can tell, there are plenty of carbs in the menu I posted above.

You guys are throwing bad science at me left and right, so I urge anyone interested in making a change to do the homework to understand why I'm advocating what I am. I don't expect anyone to take it at face value; look into the science behind it yourselves.

In the end, you have to like yourself more than you like the junk food. Nobody else can lead you to that point.

Back