FO Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
I'm not disputing the fact that it's safer. It does however make you sound like a poor pilot with automation complacency. Sorry....I apologize because I still know how to fly and have not lost my skills yet to automation dependency.
It's quite the opposite. You sound like a moron that learned all the nasty bush techniques that kill a couple dozen people each year.
We could take a half a second to dial in a nav course... but nah, my balls are too big for a nav course. It's 600RVR, lets shoot the visual.

No.... Not a CA at my present employer. Oddly enough no one complains or has an issue with the way I fly the line. I've never had a negative comment at least.... So they may but don't say anything. I've gotten a couple positive compliments.

No.... Not a CA at my present employer. Oddly enough no one complains or has an issue with the way I fly the line. I've never had a negative comment at least.... So they may but don't say anything. I've gotten a couple positive compliments.
From specifically not putting in the course for the approach?

From specifically not putting in the course for the approach?
He probably doesn't walk quite how he talks on the interwebs, or a Captain would have referred him to a CP by now. Unless there's some bookism on his operation that encourages trashing best practices.

Asiana was a complex accident in which no one managed the aircraft (the opposite of what he pretends; the pilot managed it into the ground), but I'll trade that one in a year for all the GA accidents in a year adjusted for hours flown. That assumes an asinine situation where you only can only choose between those two scenarios, but even at it's worse the "automation management" woes (or in this case LACK of management) still come out ahead of the GA big ball syndrome.

I'm not suggesting you are a bad pilot, I'm just a bit surprised at your cavalier attitude. I'm probably a little anti-automation myself, but it would never occur to me not to dial up any kind of course guidance even if I'm flying a visual approach. It makes me no more of a pilot to say "I don't need the ILS" even though it is clear and a million. Judgment skills are what will save you, flying skills just move flight controls. I will tell you that if you said any of what you just posted to an interviewer for a Legacy Airline, you would be shown the door before you knew what hit you. Just something to give some thought to.

Fly safe....

No....I put the frequency in.... But at a lot of airports if it's visual... I don't use it. The moment the words "cleared visual" are said by atc....I turn the ap off and slap off the FD and look out the window doing the 3 to 1 rule in my head. If it's a busy airport like Atlanta....I may throw the frequency in and use the fms course to intercept the final...then swap over the frequency and use blue needles after disconnecting the AP....just to have the data presented.... That way if we go missed I don't have to swap back over to white needles. There are times I don't do that and fly it raw data or totally visual. I don't use green needles unless it's a legit ILS but thats required to be used obviously.

But at a lot of airports if it's visual... I don't use it.

A very good check airman friend of mine who was giving IOE to a brand new FO felt the same way quite a few years ago. He changed his mind the day he landed at the wrong airport. Nobody gave him kudos that day for being able to fly without a crutch like the ILS freq dialed in. I bet the Southwest crew in Branson would like an opportunity to re-think their approach that night.

To me it's like saying "I'm a very good driver, I don't need snow tires."
You look real dumb sitting in a ditch off the road after you lose control of your car on a slick road.

If you have a way to add a level of safety to your flight, you are not a professional pilot if you don't use it, you are simply a gambler.

I'm not disputing the fact that it's safer. It does however make you sound like a poor pilot with automation complacency. Sorry....I apologize because I still know how to fly and have not lost my skills yet to automation dependency.
You know what makes you sound like a poor pilot? Approach clearing you to a fix you've never heard of, you have to ask for the phonetic spelling, then ask for a vector towards it because you just got cleared to the final approach fix for a visual at a busy airport and you weren't ready for it because you're treating like a 172.

And at the end of the day, the plane is not yours. You fly it the way your employer tells you to. And I imagine any and every 121 operator encourages if not requires backing up with any available navaids.

(Of course procedure wise, not if there's a safety issue)

You don't like it because I'm not the normal?... Because I'm a little cow boyish? Yes...your right.....it's how I live my life in general....I beat my own drums....someone doesn't beat them for me. You can live life as a puppet....or not. It's also why I enjoy hobbies that give me a rush. Anyways....this troll is tired and going to bed.

You don't like it because I'm not the normal?... Because I'm a little cow boyish? Yes...your right.....it's how I live my life in general....I beat my own drums....someone doesn't beat them for me. You can live life as a puppet....or not. It's also why I enjoy hobbies that give me a rush. Anyways....this troll is tired and going to bed.

You're probably tired from all that extra work you're doing

No....I put the frequency in.... But at a lot of airports if it's visual... I don't use it. The moment the words "cleared visual" are said by atc....I turn the ap off and slap off the FD and look out the window doing the 3 to 1 rule in my head. If it's a busy airport like Atlanta....I may throw the frequency in and use the fms course to intercept the final...then swap over the frequency and use blue needles after disconnecting the AP....just to have the data presented.... That way if we go missed I don't have to swap back over to white needles. There are times I don't do that and fly it raw data or totally visual. I don't use green needles unless it's a legit ILS but thats required to be used obviously.

If you have a way to add a level of safety to your flight, you are not a professional pilot if you don't use it, you are simply a gambler.

A lot of the fields I go into and out of, there isn't an ILS or sometimes any instrument approach available. If it happens to be there when flying fixed wing, I'll use it because it doesn't hurt to, it only helps. But at the same time, if an ILS or other instrument approach is not there or otherwise available, I don't necessarily feel like I'm missing out on any kind of critical piece of equipment that now makes my visual approach unsafe or less safe. There's just not any kind of backup azimuth or glidepath guidance available, and just have to revert to the basics. No major deal either way.

So there is a happy medium. Use all you can when available. Just be prepared when it isn't available.

Of course, in the helicopter, all of this is moot anyway, as I could be approaching the field from any and all directions, and underneath traffic patterns. :)

Last edited:
Back