FO Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
You don't like it because I'm not the normal?... Because I'm a little cow boyish? Yes...your right.....it's how I live my life in general....I beat my own drums....someone doesn't beat them for me. You can live life as a puppet....or not. It's also why I enjoy hobbies that give me a rush. Anyways....this troll is tired and going to bed.

Ooh, we've got an internet bad ass here.

We've never in a decade of having this community ever seen anything like this at all.

Beat your drum however you want, but my rhythm section is playing a particular beat that, while you don't have to play if you don't want, but if you want to be in my drum line, you will.

I'm going to go make a nice cocktail, maybe take a pee, come back and see how you handle this.

Ooh, we've got an internet bad ass here.

We've never in a decade of having this community ever seen anything like this at all.

Beat your drum however you want, but my rhythm section is playing a particular beat that, while you don't have to play if you don't want, but if you want to be in my drum line, you will.

I'm going to go make a nice cocktail, maybe take a pee, come back and see how you handle this.
Where are you bringing it?

A very good check airman friend of mine who was giving IOE to a brand new FO felt the same way quite a few years ago. He changed his mind the day he landed at the wrong airport. Nobody gave him kudos that day for being able to fly without a crutch like the ILS freq dialed in. I bet the Southwest crew in Branson would like an opportunity to re-think their approach that night.

To me it's like saying "I'm a very good driver, I don't need snow tires."
You look real dumb sitting in a ditch off the road after you lose control of your car on a slick road.

If you have a way to add a level of safety to your flight, you are not a professional pilot if you don't use it, you are simply a gambler.
I'm happy he's an FO now instead of still in the bush where in a year or two we'd get to go pick his dead pax off the side of a hill. Read about the same thing happening all over again in an NTSB report.

You don't like it because I'm not the normal?... Because I'm a little cow boyish? Yes...your right.....it's how I live my life in general....I beat my own drums....someone doesn't beat them for me. You can live life as a puppet....or not. It's also why I enjoy hobbies that give me a rush. Anyways....this troll is tired and going to bed.
badass.jpg

Holy jesus you sound like a massive tool. I feel so bad for anyone who has to put up with you in the cockpit.

Dude, I can't believe I missed out on this thread!

@Akbush - seriously dude, backups help. It doesn't make you a crappy pilot to load up a final approach course, or at worst OBS the runway - in fact, quite the opposite. It's like flying around in the Delta - how much fuel did you carry? I bet it was enough to get somewhere and not run out of gas - have strong course guidance set up and rocking is the same as carrying extra fuel. It's the same as not flying past the point of no-return in the mountains. It's a good thing to have accurate electronic course guidance to back up your mark-one eyeball. No, you don't need to rely on it exclusively, but you can stay sharp while also covering your ass.

CFIT is the biggest killer up there, every other freaking accident is a CFIT it seems. There's no reason NOT to back yourself up. Yeah, if it's clear and a million, and I have been to the same airport a million times I don't OBS the runway or load up the approach, but if the weather is anything less than amazing, and I have ANY restrictions to vis, or I'm unfamiliar, I get an approach loaded, or OBS the field. Fly wouldn't you do that? You can still handfly and do that. You don't need to couple up to fly the visual.

What kind of flying did you do up north? Did you do much IFR flying? If you flew IFR up north I think you might think a little bit differently about using extra info. On charters, there were airports I went to where I was completely unfamiliar and had to come up with a way to keep me from landing on the wrong runway on the night circling approach. There were airports I went to I had to fly IFR to a nearby field, then fly underneath the layer to another airport, OBS-ing the runway, or loading up an instrument approach for centerline guidance (if perhaps the approach didn't get you that low) is in-freaking-valuable.

Sounds like from his description of flying into a place like ATL, he's a right seat RJ driver. Which is fine, at least there is another pilot hopefully capable of ensuring nothing bad happens eventually.
Until he upgrades.

Sounds like from his description of flying into a place like ATL, he's a right seat RJ driver. Which is fine, at least there is another pilot hopefully capable of ensuring nothing bad happens eventually.
Until he upgrades.
Which will be in about 5 months

Until he upgrades.
We can only hope that said RJ driver, upon his upgrade, has a first officer that is worth his weight; a good pilot monitoring is invaluable. (And it's not always easy to be a good pilot monitoring.)

Which will be in about 5 months
Where can I apply and what are their minimums? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, what @ppragman said. In particular:
Dude, I can't believe I missed out on this thread!

@Akbush - seriously dude, backups help. It doesn't make you a crappy pilot to load up a final approach course, or at worst OBS the runway - in fact, quite the opposite. It's like flying around in the Delta - how much fuel did you carry? I bet it was enough to get somewhere and not run out of gas - have strong course guidance set up and rocking is the same as carrying extra fuel. It's the same as not flying past the point of no-return in the mountains. It's a good thing to have accurate electronic course guidance to back up your mark-one eyeball. No, you don't need to rely on it exclusively, but you can stay sharp while also covering your ass.

CFIT is the biggest killer up there, every other freaking accident is a CFIT it seems. There's no reason NOT to back yourself up. Yeah, if it's clear and a million, and I have been to the same airport a million times I don't OBS the runway or load up the approach, but if the weather is anything less than amazing, and I have ANY restrictions to vis, or I'm unfamiliar, I get an approach loaded, or OBS the field. Fly wouldn't you do that? You can still handfly and do that. You don't need to couple up to fly the visual.
Yeah, I mean, why wouldn't you...the electricity is, after all, paid for; there is no reason to not use all available resources to make sure you don't screw it up.

The real reason I am this way: I assume that I'm actually a fairly lousy and error-prone pilot, and am pleasantly surprised almost all of the time, rather than assuming that I am God's gift to aviation and finding myself sorely disappointed (or, perhaps, splattered, with crushing finality and disastrous consequences, upon a mountaintop that I didn't see until I was eye-to-eye with the goats) on occasion.

No....I put the frequency in.... But at a lot of airports if it's visual... I don't use it. The moment the words "cleared visual" are said by atc....I turn the ap off and slap off the FD and look out the window doing the 3 to 1 rule in my head. If it's a busy airport like Atlanta....I may throw the frequency in and use the fms course to intercept the final...then swap over the frequency and use blue needles after disconnecting the AP....just to have the data presented.... That way if we go missed I don't have to swap back over to white needles. There are times I don't do that and fly it raw data or totally visual. I don't use green needles unless it's a legit ILS but thats required to be used obviously.
Erm, have you read your FOM?

I ask, because I'm sure your operation requires that visual approaches be backed up, when available, with some sort of instrument guidance, because that's just (1) industry best practice because it really is (2) common effin' sense. Backing up visual approaches with instrument guidance, where available, is given work at SkyWest ("you will..."), was given work at American Eagle, and is given work anywhere that I would like to work. It makes it less likely that stuff will, in fact, happen. Having an active and engaged pilot monitoring (or being an active, engaged monitor) is also invaluable. Having someone around to stop a screw-up cold at an early stage is invaluable. "Please, please, please, if you think I'm screwing up, say so!"

To be replaced in crushing finality by doing it the company's way the day you finally maybe end up at a legacy. Unless you're now gonna scoff in righteous indignity that working for a legacy was never your plan and being a lifer RJ captain was what you saw as a career high. This is then followed shortly thereafter by hoots of derision from the peanut gallery and a total dismissal of said troll.
Rinse and repeat.
YMMV

Dude, aviation forums are littered by guys like you who come around thumping their own chests about how great they are, and how they don't need backup or automation. We don't care. Really.

What you should care about is the fact that if you intend to move out of an RJ someday, you're going to be the first guy sacrificed to the training gods at whatever legacy/major you manage to make it through an interview at. The industry is rather effective at picking off the guys with this type of attitude early on.

That is, if you can find someone to vouch for you. The industry is small, and the internet is not anonymous.

Back