Great Lakes faces shortage of pilots!

Looking forward to the end of lakes. Why would anyone with a shred of self respect go there?

I went once, allowed me the PIC time I needed to land an air ambulance job close to home. Worked with a handful of people who lived near the bases, others had connections that allowed them to slide into the majors. Everyone seemed to have different reasons but 98% of the pilot group was very respectable when I was there, problem is the company still thinks its operation (and payscale) is still in the mid 1990's, most other regionals have moved onto jets jets and bigger jets.

I can speak first hand for how hard some there worked for a new and better contract, company fought against it so much now people are leaving.

How fast are upgrades now?? @wildfreightess see, someone out there might take me!

I flew on Great Lakes from DEN to SHR about two weeks ago. The FA told me that there is now only 1 FO in the entire company. I am not sure how true that is but I can tell you that there were two Captains up front that day.

I have been told that ALL UPGRADES have been placed on hold, they have nobody to replace the FOs if they upgrade... so why pay someone captain pay to fly right seat.

"The FA told me that there is now only 1 FO in the entire company"
If this is true I have fixed "ALL UPGRADE" this for you.

:)

eightballfreight said:
"Great Lakes regrets to announce and indefinite ceasing of upgrade classes......sorry Bill."

Lol...was this a legit message from a member of management to an employee group?

Except this time, their help is actually helping.
Helping who? A bunch of pilots lost their jobs. A bunch more got downgraded. All of them are having to work that much more just to cover the schedule. And it doesn't sound like there are any new hires on the horizon. So who is getting helped?

Where did you hear a bunch of pilots lost their jobs? From the sound of it, it seems they jumped shipped to greener pastures.

I'm just curious to how this works... so they keep losing pilots? and fly CA-CA and refuse to hire anyone with CA pay just to staff? And refuse to upgrade the few FO's they have remaining but don't want them to quit?

Helping who? A bunch of pilots lost their jobs. A bunch more got downgraded. All of them are having to work that much more just to cover the schedule. And it doesn't sound like there are any new hires on the horizon. So who is getting helped?

Pilots have left and are refusing to work for a company that is notorious for terrible wages, even compared to other regional airlines. Sounds like something's working to me... Now if we can only make that work for all the regionals (yes, I realize I'm part of the problem).

My company has kept all of those guys employed. The market will sort out companies like Great Lakes when they can't staff their company.

This has nothing to do with the market. This is a case of the government interfering with the market. They had no problems staffing their company until the government imposed the new restrictions on them.

This has nothing to do with the market. This is a case of the government interfering with the market. They had no problems staffing their company until the government imposed the new restrictions on them.

Incorrect.

There was a "pilot" workgroup, an "A4A (which is really the ATA)" workgroup and the FAA workgroup.

We all had a hand in this and nothing was imposed. Let's just make sure we're clear on that before we spin out of control.

And I'm pretty sure Lakes received government subsidies to fly a bunch of it's current/former routes that were otherwise unprofitable. So I'd say the government was interfering in that market from the outset.

Dear Great Lakes,

I have 5000TT and a 1000 King Air PIC. I heard about your problem with pilot staffing. I just wanted to let you all know that for 150K a year and an 8 day a month schedule I'd be willing to fly as an FO for Great Lakes.

Your Friend,

Beef Supreme
150K??? ...I think 100K is much more reasonable.

Back