Great Lakes faces shortage of pilots!

You guys stated clearly that the only experience that would validate their knowledge for you is 121 pilot. Why do you care what the job is, if it's not?

You guys stated clearly that the only experience that would validate their knowledge for you is 121 pilot. Why do you care what the job is, if it's not?

I'm interested to know what position a person holds when they lecture others about the nature of their job.

Because:

big_lebowski.jpg

Lol. Whatever floats your boat. They're dug in. You're dug in. They appear to have watched the moon landing from the moon's orbit if you know what I mean, so I doubt you're going to be able to dislodge their opinions.

I ran into an acquaintance one day railing against the 1,500 hour rule. Went on, and on, and on about how it won't solve anything, "a good pilot is good at 500 hours", essentially the whole list of "industry talking points".

Usually when I see a guy polarized in such a "in the weeds" topic that doesn't really directly affect them, there are two, and ONLY two, reasons: 1) There's money involved or 2) There are bros or relations involved.

So I ask him if a good pilot is a good pilot at 500 hours, why, for eons on end, did even the bottom most, dirt merchant, fly by night outfit require 1200/200, and even the quality outfits required 3,000? "Uh, well, airlines higher the best pilot that they can get". Me: Sooo, total time IS a measure on pilot quality? Him: "Uh, uh ,uh". Me: So, except of some VERY isolated cases (and I mean very isolated), the ATP rule would have been completely irrelevant because the hiring standards were close to or exceeded the rather minimum requirement of 1,500 hours.

So, after digging a bit with this guy, it turns out that a) he owned a flight school and b) his focus was on mil guys getting their ATPs.

Here's a tip. Guys who have the time DON'T care (unless they support it). The only people who care are the low time wannabes who now might actually have to go out and turn a wheel, or people who have a fiscal interest in "the dream" (and that includes proud parents who just dropped 65k only to see junior having to CFI for a few years).

So endeth the lesson.

Richman

I do not fly professionally. I never have. I have, however, spent the better part of the last 2 decades working in the airlines.

A-Ha! And the truth shall set you free…….

Working in the airlines and working as a pilot in the airlines……2 completely different animals.

Back