Great Lakes faces shortage of pilots!

What about the PC-12... That seems to me a lot more efficient than the van. (purely guessing) How would it perform comparatively? Then again it might be far too expensive to operate. Seaport is running PC-12s right? I know that Surf Air is, then again I am not so sure Surf has made a dime yet.

I sure do like the design of the PC-12 though!
Seaport had PC-12's up in the NW and switched to mostly Vans. The haul the same amount of people iirc and take a lot less to operate. On the short flights they do, time difference is probably only a few minutes.

Got almost 300 hrs in the PC-12 albeit 6 years ago. IIRC we used pull the power back to 1500 pph below 15,000 ft and used to climb with a max ITT of 760 C. This was more restrictive than the POH, just what the company wanted for engine life. Cruising speed above 20K we were between 255-265 TAS with fuel consumption down to 375 or so pph @FL 300. Our Pilati were in the 6 seat exec configuration with the bed pan toilet. Never flown the Van so I can't really compare though...

Got almost 300 hrs in the PC-12 albeit 6 years ago. IIRC we used pull the power back to 1500 pph below 15,000 ft and used to climb with a max ITT of 760 C. This was more restrictive than the POH, just what the company wanted for engine life. Cruising speed above 20K we were between 255-265 TAS with fuel consumption down to 375 or so pph @FL 300. Our Pilati were in the 6 seat exec configuration with the bed pan toilet. Never flown the Van so I can't really compare though...

1500 pph?????? What the hell kind of pilatus were you flying?????

In the PC12 we cruise at 720 ITT and that's about 26-30". Gives us about 240-270kts. The Van might give us 190kts on a good day. A 5.0 day in the PC12 would be 6.5 in the Van.

What about the PC-12... That seems to me a lot more efficient than the van. (purely guessing) How would it perform comparatively? Then again it might be far too expensive to operate. Seaport is running PC-12s right? I know that Surf Air is, then again I am not so sure Surf has made a dime yet.

I sure do like the design of the PC-12 though!

PC-12 is in a completely different class than a Caravan. There is no comparison, really. A little over 400PPH in the NG.

1001738_10151867521622932_1607752182_n.jpg

The van is great if you can stay low. A lot of those EAS routes have some rocks to go over. Also the stock ones don't have enough get up and go in icing. Throw a 900 or 950 horse TPE331 on there and you're good to go.

The van is great if you can stay low. A lot of those EAS routes have some rocks to go over. Also the stock ones don't have enough get up and go in icing. Throw a 900 or 950 horse TPE331 on there and you're good to go.
Throw a TPE on anything, and you're good to go! Power without the increased fuel consumption!

PC-12 is in a completely different class than a Caravan. There is no comparison, really. A little over 400PPH in the NG.

1001738_10151867521622932_1607752182_n.jpg

Do y'all normally run ITTs at 780 in cruise? Or are the ITT limits higher in the large series PT6 compared to the small? That seems pretty high compared to what I'm used to.

Do y'all normally run ITTs at 780 in cruise? Or are the ITT limits higher in the large series PT6 compared to the small? That seems pretty high compared to what I'm used to.

Can't speak for the NG, but in the "classic" /45, 760 is max continuous, so it seems reasonable to me that 780 would be normal for an engine which is basically the same engine allowed to run a little harder. For some reason, my company wants us to keep it at 720, which I'm totally convinced was cooked up by two former Nurses who found themselves in Management and compared notes on the engine life of their Toyotas.

Back