Great Lakes faces shortage of pilots!

And here I read your complete lack of understanding of my point in "utter amazement". Who is paying what bills on 25k GROSS pay exactly? to say you can save money on that is laughable at best. Yes there are those outliers that live with their parents or have a spouse that make money but by in large most first year pilots i know defer their school loans (while incurring major amounts of interest) live in a crash pad and still barley "pay their bills". My point was really that Lakes gets used so often in lowering the bar in regional pay and I'm not arguing that they don't have an effect. But its seems ridiculous to me when people talk about how well their "decent" regional pays when its in the range of 22k-25k per year starting out. What a joke. Lakes flies 16 seat turbo prop airplanes on EAS contracts. They are not the comparison people should be making. I'm working for a "decent" regional and took home 18k the first year including perdium. I can tell you that I was not on the internet talking about how good my regional was paying me compared to Lakes. Do I think its ridiculous what they get paid and what people are willing to work for? of course. But I think the exact same thing at my regional...myself included.
There are regionals that do pay more. I made 34 before per diem, and 37 including per diem my first year. I picked up maybe 5 or 6 extra days of flying the whole year.

Still crap. Still makes my quality of life better than if I made less. All regional pay sucks, but some suck more than others.

Could a person run EAS routes in a Caravan? How many people could you cram in a Van? Doesn't under 10 people change the PIC/SIC hiring rules? Please someone explain to me, I'm clueless.

Could a person run EAS routes in a Caravan? How many people could you cram in a Van? Doesn't under 10 people change the PIC/SIC hiring rules? Please someone explain to me, I'm clueless.

Yes, reference Seaport Airlines. This is where Great Lakes may be headed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Easily, Pacific Wings AKA NM air AKA Georgia Skies did it for quite a while.

Word is their management thinks companies like RAH and XJET are majors.
according to management, the pilot group equivalent is Skywest, etc.

Management sees themselves as equivalent to Southwest, JetBlue, UsAirways...etc. (and they pay themselves accordingly)

When you go under 10 seats, you change from 121 Domestic to 135 Commuter rules. If memory serves, right seat 135 is a minimum of 500 hours and left seat is 1200 hours TT for IFR ops (unless a jet is used, when you need an ATP).

I'd look for Cape Air to try to kill Great Lakes. They seem to be one of the few EAS carriers that can actually turn a market into something.

Consensus looks like the Caravan operators sucked - is it because they sucked period, or because the Caravan helped them suck?

Everything they did in Oregon was a massive failure to.

They couldn't even get a portland seattle shuttle going. A route that Horizon puts 2000 airplanes a day on.

The bottom line is operating a regional airline under 121 is very expensive for regional aircraft. The regional airline I flew for years ago dumped the 1900 and increase the use of rj's and dash 8's. Now some rj's are expensive to operate, can you say 1970's here I come. Big cities receive all the service and small cities are back to horse and buggy!

The bottom line is operating a regional airline under 121 is very expensive for regional aircraft. The regional airline I flew for years ago dumped the 1900 and increase the use of rj's and dash 8's. Now some rj's are expensive to operate, can you say 1970's here I come. Big cities receive all the service and small cities are back to horse and buggy!
Seaport is 135.

It does, depending on the complexity of the autopilot. You must have an approval from the FAA to fly without a sic even without the 10 pax capacity, and it is all about the capability of the autopilot. The exemption also has a lot to do with the company training program.

It does, depending on the complexity of the autopilot. You must have an approval from the FAA to fly without a sic even without the 10 pax capacity, and it is all about the capability of the autopilot. The exemption also has a lot to do with the company training program.
I assure you that is not true.

What about the PC-12... That seems to me a lot more efficient than the van. (purely guessing) How would it perform comparatively? Then again it might be far too expensive to operate. Seaport is running PC-12s right? I know that Surf Air is, then again I am not so sure Surf has made a dime yet.

I sure do like the design of the PC-12 though!

Back