Spirit Airbus Near Mid-Air Collision with Skydive Plane

That is a fairly busy dropzone and they communicate with Detroit on every jump... I doubt it's as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. Once again "got them on TCAS" really does not nothing for anyone.

I don't see why the skydive pilot would be in any sort of trouble. FAA said both were in VFR conditions. Both have the same right to be there...

The story says the RA commanded a 1600 fpm descent. Hardly seems excessive or newsworthy or enough to bump heads.

Your right. Comprehension fail on my part. I hadn't finished reading it. :D
You know how the flying public is. Anything aside from occasional turbulence is a major event ;)

I don't see why the skydive pilot would be in any sort of trouble. FAA said both were in VFR conditions. Both have the same right to be there...

The story says the RA commanded a 1600 fpm descent. Hardly seems excessive or newsworthy or enough to bump heads.

I agree, but it seems they may have been climbing and then nosed over a little too hard, causing a 0 or small negative G factor which can throw some people off. But bins opening seems a little weird.

Now since it commanded a descent, it seems like the dive plane may have been at cruise, which then its the TRACON to vector the climbing IFR aircraft away unless he said maintain visual separation. Since Spirit is faster and climbing, it would come down them to not maintaining VFR separation and they are the ones at fault.

TCAS is the new naked eye don't cha know?

YOO Betchya.

"See and avoid" -- not "Uhh, I've got my head down at the TCAS display in VMC and I assume this is the guy you're talking about".

This was a completely blown up by the media situation. I know the pilot and he has already spoken with the FAA, and has been cleared. It was miss-communication between ATC and Spirit. The article looks like it was written to scare people instead of giving facts (probably because it wouldn't have been news had it been the facts).

This was a completely blown up by the media situation. I know the pilot and he has already spoken with the FAA, and has cleared. It was miss-communication between ATC and Spirit. The article looks like it was written to scare people instead of giving facts (probably because no one would read it if had been the facts).

You should have heard the audio from ABC News on my Slacker channel. They interviewed a woman who said the screams were that of death and she began crying claiming her life flashed before her eyes. :rolleyes: It reminded me of something my wife might say.

What's up with the guys that are asking to climb to 15 and drop over CCC on the weekends? :)

There's a lot of big, lumbering airplanes hobbling by at 12! :)

Meh.

400 feet and 1.6 miles separation? I have come much closer and didn't dive down like a little girl. It definitely would have made me put my coffee down and pay attention though. Hell, I probably would have muted my music even.

Back