Piston Twin Good for Training and Transport -- Suggestions?

Re: Piston Twin Good for Training and Transport -- Suggestio

Ahhh...But that's just in zero-sideslip right? I know for a fact that I could get many twins to lose directional control well above published Vmc. I used to demonstrate that in Seminoles when I taught commercial students. Published Vmc was pretty dang low (in the 50s at sea level I recall), but I could get it to start rolling over on itself at 80+ knots up at high altitude. Just had to take it out of zero sideslip.
Well I'm sure any twin can start to roll over early. When we were doing Vmc training, we would always do "zero-thrust" since our planes don't have unfeathering pumps. (You can get them installed, like on Bob Hoover's airplane.) So I really wouldn't be able to tell you if I could get it to roll over. It would always stall out at 6,000ft when we did them.

I'm gonna have to put my vote in for a AC-50. ...the hardest thing I think would finding a DE for it but I'm sure the FSDO would just have to ride along on a checkride to give your DE a LOA.

What would be harder... finding a DE or learning how to taxi the Commander? :)

What would be harder... finding a DE or learning how to taxi the Commander? :)
That's pretty tough.... I guess if the student can taxi a Diamond they may be able to taxi the Commander.

What's so hard about taxiing the AC?

At least on the AC50, the nose steering is controlled by actuating the brake valves, so not only are you using differential braking, but the nose wheel will turn in the direction you brake. It's power nose castering steering. Really weird and really sensitive (just "curl" the toes to turn) but after a while you get used to it and it becomes completely natural. Just be prepared to be gawked at by the line guys if you are taxiing for the first time.

Guys, how good is the Rockwell Commander 700?

It is a very unique airplane. I demoed one last month and we may end up buying it. The cabin feels much larger than a 400 series. When my boss stuck his head inside his first remarks were about how he could dance down the isle! However, it is underpowered and very rare. Fuji/Commander knew they were not going to make many of the piston version so they used all generic parts. The people I have talked to have said parts are not a problem. From what I have seen, it is the best piston twin for the money. The 700/710 were designed as a proof of concept for a turbine version of the airframe that was never built, so the airframe is very solid. The 710 uses the Lycoming 541's which I have never been a big fan of.

What's so hard about taxiing the AC?

The nosewheel steering is controlled through the top of the rudder pedals. The first few centimeters of movement steers the nosewheel, and the rest controls the brakes. It takes a while to get used to. I've taught quite a few students in the 560, and have always found that once they can taxi the plane well, they can also fly the plane well.

What about a Duke? I've never flown them but they're the gap filler between the Baron and the Queen Air.

I have always loved the Duke. It has the 380hp Lycoming 541s, but it does not have enough ground clearance to have a prop big enough to turn that into power.

Alex.

Turbine Duke = wet dream.

-mini

Except for those pesky fueling caps that Beech designed. The same could be said about the Kingair's though, so I won't hold that against the Duke. I've seen a few turbine Duke's, but I'd imagine the only way its cost effective is if you 1) Own a Duke with engines that need overhauled, or 2) Someone gives you a Duke with engines that need overhauled.

To me it seems the easiest way to go about this would be to send your student to a local flight school and have him do his multi-engine add on in a seminole or similar trainer. After he gets the license and has performed the required maneuvers in a easier aircraft transition him to whatever airplane he would buy, and the only training you would technically have to do would be to meet the insurance mins. Plus you would probably save some money training in a seminole at 200$ an hour vs. whatever you buy and considerably more, its also going to take more time for the rating in a higer performance more technical aircraft. Remember you don't have an hour requirement to sign off for the checkride I've seen multi-engine add ons done in as little as 8 hours.

It is a very unique airplane. I demoed one last month and we may end up buying it. The cabin feels much larger than a 400 series. When my boss stuck his head inside his first remarks were about how he could dance down the isle! However, it is underpowered and very rare. Fuji/Commander knew they were not going to make many of the piston version so they used all generic parts. The people I have talked to have said parts are not a problem. From what I have seen, it is the best piston twin for the money. The 700/710 were designed as a proof of concept for a turbine version of the airframe that was never built, so the airframe is very solid. The 710 uses the Lycoming 541's which I have never been a big fan of.
Alex.

We're going to check out a 414 soon, but I'm seriously liking the Aero Commander 700. How do you go about demo-ing an airplane?

The Duke is a real sweet bird, but can be a real pain and VERY expensive on maintenance. They had a lot of corrosion problems in the belly around the outflow valves, and there were also corrosion problems as I recall with the vertical stab, I think. Both very expensive and could well ruin your day. There may also be wing spar checks that are $$. Duke insurance will eat you alive without a good bit of multi time and they'll want at least 100 hours in the plane with an instructor before they even consider writing a policy.

The engines eat turbochargers unless handled VERY carefully, because of the tight nacelles. Decsents must be well planned and as I recall the engines are geared...which means you don't ever pull them back to idle for descents...you always carry power. All of which makes this a really poor choice for someone who is getting a multi. As for acquisition cost??...check the rags like Trade a Plane...and hold on. A good one is $$$$.

Best bet would be to check the Duke owners group webpage. Same on the Commander.

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the plane. It's a nice step up from a smaller unpressurized cabin twin. But for the money, when I got to that stage of the game, I'd go to a small King Air.

AOPA's website can likely give you good cost comparisons and reviews on all these aircraft. They can also give you numbers and requirements on insurance for each one.

I still say go with the 'pig. (Aztec) The time difference overall based on speed will only be a few minutes. It's tough, reliable and easy to fly.

Decsents must be well planned and as I recall the engines are geared...which means you don't ever pull them back to idle for descents...you always carry power.
IIRC it's just the TIO-540s on the Duke.

Good advice though if someone's looking into the Twin Bonanza and/or 421. ALWAYS make sure the engines are driving the props.

-mini

Good advice though if someone's looking into the Twin Bonanza and/or 421. ALWAYS make sure the engines are driving the props.

Same with the pressurized piston Twin Commanders (680FL), they are all geared props and have problems. Bleh!

If you insist on burning kerosene and having a nosewheel a turbine Duke would be hard to beat for the singular reason of sexiness. I could even get laid if I had a turbine Duke. Seriously, what an amazing looking machine.

RoyalTurbine008.jpg

If you insist on burning kerosene and having a nosewheel a turbine Duke would be hard to beat for the singular reason of sexiness. I could even get laid if I had a turbine Duke. Seriously, what an amazing looking machine.

RoyalTurbine008.jpg
When I win Powerball tonight, I'll be buying 3 of them. You're welcome to come sit in one and make airplane noises anytime you like. :D

-mini

It's like motorboating an airplane.....

LOL!!

Checked out an old Navajo today. Maintenance was said to be about $2300 annually, and it was flown on average of 300 hours per year (part 135). Is that good?

Maintenance was said to be about $2300 annually, and it was flown on average of 300 hours per year (part 135). Is that good?

...I've got this beach side property in Arizona you might want to take a look at.

Maybe the annual inspection is $2300, but I don't buy that the entire mx bill for a year is $2300.

-mini

...I've got this beach side property in Arizona you might want to take a look at.

Maybe the annual inspection is $2300, but I don't buy that the entire mx bill for a year is $2300.

-mini
:laff:

Maybe that's what he meant...

The engines needed overhauling though, and it looked raggedy...

Back