Piston Twin Good for Training and Transport -- Suggestions?

Re: Piston Twin Good for Training and Transport -- Suggestio

I'm looking at the Navajo as we speak, actually. If I were to leave the training option out for now and just do "transition training" instead for someone who already has a multi rating, you really think the Navajo is a good idea?
Do you mean insurance required training for the owner/operator to fly the navajo or just training for any random person that has a ME rating that wants to transition to the navajo?

Either way, you can probably do it...but I don't see the value for a multi-rated pilot to get "transition" training in a navajo other than so they can say they've flown a Navajo.

-mini

Do you mean insurance required training for the owner/operator to fly the navajo or just training for any random person that has a ME rating that wants to transition to the navajo?

Either way, you can probably do it...but I don't see the value for a multi-rated pilot to get "transition" training in a navajo other than so they can say they've flown a Navajo.

-mini

That would be it...option B.

I just don't see the market for it and thus the justification for the additional insurance cost.

-mini

I just don't see the market for it and thus the justification for the additional insurance cost.

-mini

The only way its going to work, is if your the only twin engine training facility in a fairly big area. If there are a bunch of flight schools around, forget it. But if nobody has a twin, it might work.

Having flown both the Navajo and 414/421 series, I prefer the Cessna's. From a technical standpoint, I find them easier to operate and easier for someone coming out of a Seminole/Duchess/Twin Star.

The Cessna's are pressurized and can get above the weather, however, it can be more costly for mx.
I see...

The only way its going to work, is if your the only twin engine training facility in a fairly big area. If there are a bunch of flight schools around, forget it. But if nobody has a twin, it might work.
Even if you are, why would someone who already has the multi-engine rating want to plunk down $400/hr just so they can say they've flown a 414/navajo?

-mini

Even if you are, why would someone who already has the multi-engine rating want to plunk down $400/hr just so they can say they've flown a 414/navajo?

-mini

Probably not. You could advertise it for like recurrent training, but beyond that, probably not. Something like a 400 series Cessna or Navajo isn't going to be used for training at all, unless you've got a job in it.

Probably not. You could advertise it for like recurrent training, but beyond that, probably not. Something like a 400 series Cessna or Navajo isn't going to be used for training at all, unless you've got a job in it.
I understand your point where training is concerned...I'm assuming he'd mike like to have others fly the plane and so they can be trained in the aircraft for the position. If that's the case, then I'm sure it narrows the field to the best aircraft for the job in terms of cost of operation. How's our list of potentials looking so far?

You mention the 6 passengers over 400 miles. Are you going to be looking to set up a charter operation? If so, it's probably easiest to look for an airplane that is already on a 135 certificate.

You mention the 6 passengers over 400 miles. Are you going to be looking to set up a charter operation? If so, it's probably easiest to look for an airplane that is already on a 135 certificate.
Nope...he want's his own plane, but he travels extensively and from what he's mentioned to me, I assume that range would be the minimum.

Still doing research...

For what it's worth, there's one Navajo that comes on our ramp every now and then from Canada. He flies fishing charters and I've seen 6 BIG guys get off that thing and it's PACKED with all their fishing gear, camping gear, coolers with their catch, and they did it in one hop. Without having the actual numbers in front of me or Navajo flying experience, they just seem to me like they're a flying truck.

I'm looking at both the Navajo and the Cessna 400 series aircraft now...

Yeah, if this is just some guy buying an airplane, don't do training with it. Get him what he needs, and forget the training. Maintenance is probably going to be a fairly large bill in any case, so no need to beat the plane up for no money in return.

Nope...he want's his own plane, but he travels extensively and from what he's mentioned to me, I assume that range would be the minimum.

Still doing research...

Multi time = Multi time
I question yet again, a multi Experimental has similiar value to a Navajo, Seneca, Seminole- at a fraction of the cost.
Flying 6 people around is gonna require Insurance and sounds like Business = Part 135 and THAT's expensive.

Multi time = Multi time
I question yet again, a multi Experimental has similiar value to a Navajo, Seneca, Seminole- at a fraction of the cost.
Flying 6 people around is gonna require Insurance and sounds like Business = Part 135 and THAT's expensive.

Why does business use of an aircraft = 135? Why not 91?

I think it can be used Part 91 actually. I'll check to confirm.

For the record SIU uses C-310s for all of the twin training and they work pretty well.

When you say 6 people, do you mean 6 pax + pilot or 6 people total in the plane? If it's the former then you've ruled out a 310, Aztec or Baron immediately. If not, it should be noted that none of those planes was actually meant to carry six people. Have you ever seen the third row of seats on a 310 or sat across from somebody in the back of a Baron? No full sized adult will go for that.

Navajo is great so is the 414. 421 also a good plane but the geared engines have mixed reviews. If you stay low the 402 is awesome but very hard to find without a whole lot of time and slow.

I'd throw in another vote for the 310...you can get the VG kit that will increase the Max TO weight by 180# I believe.

Have you looked at the Cessna 340 or 335? 335's aren't plentiful but provide a cabin environment and a little more room for the pax. It's also unpressurized. The 340 is the pressurized version. I'd say that's a decent compromise between the small cabin 310 and the mx intensive and larger 414 or 421.

Back