Yay Jumpseat Wars!

Regrettably, if UAL does not fix the jumpseat software within thirty (30) days, UAX pilots will be left with no other choice but to deny all UAL pilots any requests for the jumpseat, regardless of aircraft tail-colors beginning 08/31/08.

If ya'll missed this little tidbit here, it means all UEX regional airlines would deny all UAL pilots on their flights, regardless if its operated as United, Delta, USAir, Continental, etc..

Signed, the pilots of:

Chautauqua Airlines

Shuttle America

Republic's JS committees were involved in this, but they apparently didn't sign.

Republic Airlines doesn't fly for United, I assume thats why they are not on there. Both Chautauqa and Shuttle do though, but they should have just put "Republic Airways" because we're all the same Union.

This jumpseat situation is complicated. Because if it weren't for Mainline, the Express pilots probably wouldn't have jobs. So in that sense, Mainline pilots should be priority even on Express flights because it was their flying farmed out to begin with. Its not their fault that the plane only has 50 or 70 seats.

The other is that the Express carriers need priority for getting their flights out on time, otherwise their Code-share partner could kick them to the curb for performance. So of course they want their pilots to have jumpseat priority so that the company can continue to do their job.

Its just a mess....hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

The other is that the Express carriers need priority for getting their flights out on time, otherwise their Code-share partner could kick them to the curb for performance. So of course they want their pilots to have jumpseat priority so that the company can continue to do their job.

Its just a mess....hopefully it gets resolved quickly.
Explain this please.

I feel for the UAX guys...especially those who are adversely affected by UALs computer system. Those guys are a minority though, and I think the majority are scared of repercussions and hence will not follow through with any action planned by the union.

United is playing hardball, they know they're disregarding the JS agreement and they're shrugging their shoulders. The problem starts with them, fix the computer and all this other garbage goes away.

Could you imagine if the situation was reversed? The problem would be solved immediately, and if it weren't, I could see similar threats being made.

But as I stated above, unless the problem directly affects the ca, I think most will look to avoid any confrontation.

So really, how can the uax pilots hold united to their end of the agreement? Or is it just not worth fighting for?

United is playing hardball, they know they're disregarding the JS agreement and they're shrugging their shoulders. The problem starts with them, fix the computer and all this other garbage goes away.
?

Actually this change in priority is a result of UAL MEC asking for and UAL management agreeing to give UAL pilots higher priority...

. . .shot across the bow!

Eh? How so?

The thread was, up to that point. . .simply more a bitching about gate software than a real "jumpseat war" thread.

It has since moved into the "jumpseat war" section though, rightfully in my opinion. But this wouldn't be the first time that the strong advocates of union politics tried to explain their positions in regards to protecting the overall union portion of the profession from the negative affects of having non-union pilots utilizing a benefit that was developed and fought for by union members.

Unfortunately, this will more than likely turn into the usual union thread around here and get closed in about a day and a half. Here's to hoping it can stay civil, and people will simply realize that the jumpseat is at the discretion of the captain - and not some gate software, or the person asking (if they bother to ask and not command) for a lift.

Eh? How so?

The thread was, up to that point. . .simply more a bitching about gate software than a real "jumpseat war" thread.

It has since moved into the "jumpseat war" section though, rightfully in my opinion. But this wouldn't be the first time that the strong advocates of union politics tried to explain their positions in regards to protecting the overall union portion of the profession from the negative affects of having non-union pilots utilizing a benefit that was developed and fought for by union members.

Unfortunately, this will more than likely turn into the usual union thread around here and get closed in about a day and a half. Here's to hoping it can stay civil, and people will simply realize that the jumpseat is at the discretion of the captain - and not some gate software, or the person asking (if they bother to ask and not command) for a lift.

. . .I was simply stating that the UAX memo to UAALPA is tantamount to a "shot across the bow"!

Explain this please.

Well the Express carriers would like their own employees to have priority over anyone else on their own jumpseat. Which makes sense. If pilots can not easily commute to their job, than it makes doing their job that much harder. If you have options to commute to work on your own company flights, you should be able to have priority for that jumpseat.

Conversly, the name in big letters on the side of the plane doesn't belong to the Express carrier. They are just the Regional lift provider doing the contract work, so the Mainline pilots should not be denied a jumpseat ride either.

I'm merely pointing out the irony that is the Regional feed provider denying jumpseats to the very hand that feeds them. Anyone else see that irony?

UAL just needs to fix their system. Problem solved.

Do these companies not have unlimited jumpseats?

I mean really. . .Delta doesn't seem to have this issue with their small lift providers. Comair pilots have priority on CMR flights, ASA pilots have priority on ASA flights, and so forth.

I mean really. . .Delta doesn't seem to have this issue with their small lift providers. Comair pilots have priority on CMR flights, ASA pilots have priority on ASA flights, and so forth.

First I've heard...I get priority on all Republic operated flights...I bumped an Airways mainline guy the other guy on one of our flights, but he did have another way to get to work, so it all worked out.

Correct me, but can't a SKW or Shuttle CA give priority to a company jumpseater over a UA pilot if they desire?

Its not so much a matter of the CA, its the jumpseat software, and the gate agents not allowing the jumpseater to speak with the captain.
That is NOT an excuse. Captains should (need) to come out of the cockpit and see if there are any jumpseaters and see if there are any issues. It's not the gate agent's airplane, it's the captains.

UAL just needs to fix their system. Problem solved.

The problem is that UAX carriers have been trying to get UAL to fix the system, and (from what our JS coordinator has told us) the UAL MEC is consistently blocking attempts to correct this problem. I don't support denying jumpseats, but I also don't have any answers as to how to get UAL to fix their software.

Which is exactly as it should be.

First I've heard...I get priority on all Republic operated flights...I bumped an Airways mainline guy the other guy on one of our flights, but he did have another way to get to work, so it all worked out.

Correct me, but can't a SKW or Shuttle CA give priority to a company jumpseater over a UA pilot if they desire?

You get priority based on your airline's individual policy. UAL's software, though, gives priority to UAL (1st) and GoJet/TSA (2nd) pilots, followed by you. If you can talk to the captain, it's not a problem...but the gate agent controls access to the airplane, so if the captain doesn't come out to check to see if any of his/her fellow company pilots are there, there's a good chance the UAL guy is getting your jumpseat ahead of you. While the majority of them are good folks, there have been repeated instances where individual UAL guys/gate agents do not respect the UAX carrier's jumpseat priority.

The vast majority of UAL pilots are not aware of this policy--it's their MEC that pushed it through. I think most of them would understand. I just wish that there was a way to make them aware of it without threatening to cut them out of the jumpseats--that is going to creat a ####storm of problems for everybody.

That is NOT an excuse. Captains should (need) to come out of the cockpit and see if there are any jumpseaters and see if there are any issues. It's not the gate agent's airplane, it's the captains.
OK, thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the middle of my UAL mandated 18 min MST turn...:whatever:

Mike, I'm the last person to pull the "you don't know what you are talking about being from the freight dog world and all" but in this case, I don't think you understand the logistics behind a 20 minute turn.

Sure, the big boys often have a bit more time to go up and check at the gate, but all it takes is running a little behind, a goofy release and some MX and there isn't even time to hit the lav, let alone wander up to the gate and check people's jumpseat priority.

Mike, I'm the last person to pull the "you don't know what you are talking about being from the freight dog world and all" but in this case, I don't think you understand the logistics behind a 20 minute turn.

Sure, the big boys often have a bit more time to go up and check at the gate, but all it takes is running a little behind, a goofy release and some MX and there isn't even time to hit the lav, let alone wander up to the gate and check people's jumpseat priority.

Hopefully your jumpseat coordinators will be spreading this message in the near future as this is where I've gotten this idea of checking the gate area.

I routinely do <5 min, 1 engine turns and if I have a jumpseater listed I will run inside to see if they are waiting in the FBO. Different situation but it's taking the extra effort and it should be incorporated into the 20 minutes that you have.

Man! These guys need to take a page from Utah and figure out how to make this whole "polygamy" thing work, because that's what this is: one pilot group is married to the airline and the other is going steady with it.

Back