Worthy of a thread... Compass and Gojet getting the boot from Delta.

I know a guy who left Republic to go to Compass and moved to SEA. Hopefully everyone lands ok in their feet. The regional shuffling always sucks.

BlackJadedGuanaco-size_restricted.gif

"Are you sure you want to turn in that two weeks' notice? There's some really big news coming down the pipe soon."

- Every regional chief pilot ever

This is true.

When I ran into the Skyway director of operations right after I turned in my resignation letter, it was:

“I’m sorry to hear you’re leaving Skyway”

“Yes, I got a job at SouthernJets”

“Well, if you’re into that. We’re looking at picking up some Dornier 328 Jets”

Me:

BC6F975F-0C8A-4347-BFDB-B62C305D7DC9.jpeg

Well, for the last quite a few years, for many pilots at shrinking carriers, it’s been a matter of whether to follow the planes, go to a better carrier, or stay and risk the potential of going out of business. In Doug T’s case, it was time for him to move on. If I had just started at Skyway when he left, it would have led to a quick upgrade for me. As a matter of fact, that actually DID happen to me, just a few years later...at Skyway. When I hedged my bets on not needing another regional upgrade while at RAH, I figured they were “safe enough.” The problem was “safe enough” was 0 movement for 8 years, including out...unless I had considered the path less traveled. I didn’t. I turned my nose up at GoJet (this was a different time), Compass, Mesaba, Pinnacle...you name it. Had I gone to any of those places in 2008, when RAH furloughed, I would be at a passenger major years ago. But I stuck it out. I’m happy with where I’ve gone and I honestly don’t know any better now. We have risk at K4. But is it worse risk than startling over at the scheduled 121 cargo carriers? What if I went back to passenger ops? Like someone said years ago (probably Doug T), “you’re always one CEO from bad times (sic).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of ALL the regional pilots since the beginning there are probably a few handfuls at Comair, Horizon, XJT, SKYW, Mesaba and Pinnacle that have been able to squeeze out a living and retire. I would think that’s a few hundred for the hundred thousand or so that have been at regionals.

My sympathy has waned, to anyone who says they haven't looked elsewhere but the 3 that make you wear a hat.

I'm too lazy to do the search, but I can remember being lambasted for saying my "dream job" was at an ULCC.
It's not always about the money, but after 2 years and 8 months, I make more per hour than the entire crew, perhaps their priorities are off.

This is true.

When I ran into the Skyway director of operations right after I turned in my resignation letter, it was:

“I’m sorry to hear you’re leaving Skyway”

“Yes, I got a job at SouthernJets”

“Well, if you’re into that. We’re looking at picking up some Dornier 328 Jets”

Me:

View attachment 49112

Did he dangle the carrot of the super-secret 528/728 Dork Jets, too?

What was planned...

6EB23C37-9D61-4C1A-88D1-D22DB0182F20.jpeg

What actually happened...

BD7FF065-E6F4-4162-BBA1-73C9CA4019DF.jpeg

Back