WN Hiring (Mar '23)

i actually think it might be more competitive as an internal than an external, but i can’t say for sure. i do know a few internal employees that have tried every posting and not broken through yet. there seems to be a lot of swa employees that have their dx cert, so it’s definitely competitive

i thought about taking a job as a ramper a few years back, but chose to go regional -> ulcc -> now i’m starting in this next class. i would guess that i’d still be working the ramp if i had taken that job in 2021, and i’d have zero dx experience. personally i think going the regional/ulcc route would be faster and give you more options if you’re open to going to a different major

edit/ now if southwest dispatch is your one and only goal, a ramp job with them may get you there eventually, but you’d have to be patient and keep up your studies. you’d also have to be okay with closing the door on every other major, as it’s unlikely they would hire you with no dx experience
That's what I've heard with many of the Majors . It's harder to move internally than to move externally. This is probably the largest internal class I've seen since I've been here.

yeah, and THE largest class southwest (and possibly any airline) has ever done

while i’m a little sad for my seniority, i’m more happy seeing the internals flourish. the more i think about it, the more i think it is harder. for one, you really have to stand out in the interview, as most internals don’t have dx experience to lean back on. you’ve already been hired by southwest, so clearly the company likes you.. but how do you stand out from the rest?

either way kudos to everyone, see you on the 24th <3

That's what I've heard with many of the Majors . It's harder to move internally than to move externally. This is probably the largest internal class I've seen since I've been here.
I heard 2x big internals this year due to FK rollout next year. They might not even hire in 2024 due to all the training they will need to do. Just rumours though

I heard 2x big internals this year due to FK rollout next year. They might not even hire in 2024 due to all the training they will need to do. Just rumours though

If you are looking to get hired by WN, I would look at whats going on at B6 and AA right now. Especially B6. B6, AA, and WN all collaborate with Flightkeys and learn from each other. B6 is planning to cut their whole operation this fall. They will be the first carrier to use Flightkeys on US domestic operation. WN and AA are going to be looking at that to see what is needed for their domestic move to Flightkeys.

If you are looking to get hired by WN, I would look at whats going on at B6 and AA right now. Especially B6. B6, AA, and WN all collaborate with Flightkeys and learn from each other. B6 is planning to cut their whole operation this fall. They will be the first carrier to use Flightkeys on US domestic operation. WN and AA are going to be looking at that to see what is needed for their domestic move to Flightkeys.

Yep. We’re all going through FK training now for the September cutover. It’s going to be…. Interesting. With that said this latest class in OJT will have to re-learn a whole new system as soon as they get sorta comfortable with FPM. Yikes. Because of the cutover I don’t believe they plan on a new class until at least Dec or Q124- at least until the OJT instructors get comfortable with FK.

Why you surprised about delta? They all pay the same now. Think you would see alot of major to major movement now as people move for location since pay isnt a big factor anymore.
Flight benefits. Breadth of experience. Industry reputation. Money isn’t all.

Regardless of what some people at this company may think about their own company..It's pretty much subjective on where you really want to end up long term.

In my time here, I wouldn't change my route. Im happy here. Of course everyone is entitled their own opinion, but it's given me the life I've wanted and provided me many opportunities going forward.

Last edited:
Flight benefits. Breadth of experience. Industry reputation. Money isn’t all.
Flight benefits sure, breadth of experience and industry reputation??? Dispatch is dispatch dude you get to learn that real quick and anyone who worked at a carrier that did international flights around the world would tell you the same only people who only worked at domestic regionals think its a novelty to dispatch to asia and europe.

Hard disagree but that is subjective. Maybe Denver Colorado not Atlanta. Nobody unless they got ties is switching majors for either location.
Gonna hard disagree as well. I know plenty of dispatchers who would much rather be in Dallas/FW over Atlanta. The only people I know that like Atlanta are the ones who have roots/family there

Regardless, nice to have options in several locations for the Big 4

Last edited:
oh i agree, pay isn’t everything. and now is a great time to be a dispatcher looking to make a move to a major. don’t have to chase the money, just find the city that you luv and go for it

but in general, florida and texas are seeing the most amount of new residents and i don’t think it’s really that close. taxes are probably a big factor for this, although people tend to overlook property taxes in texas

You go with the first major that hires you. If you decide the location is that terrible to deal with, then moving onto another major is the move

Turning down offers from majors because they're in a city that's less than stellar is a bad choice. That might be your only chance to get on any major and seniority and for most the pay are very important

You go with the first major that hires you. If you decide the location is that terrible to deal with, then moving onto another major is the move

Turning down offers from majors because they're in a city that's less than stellar is a bad choice. That might be your only chance to get on any major and seniority and for most the pay are very important
Yes that definitely holds true nowadays as the hiring slows down. But the former made sense when the majors were all hiring like crazy and people actually had a choice. Those days are more or less over, though

oh i agree, pay isn’t everything. and now is a great time to be a dispatcher looking to make a move to a major. don’t have to chase the money, just find the city that you luv and go for it

but in general, florida and texas are seeing the most amount of new residents and i don’t think it’s really that close. taxes are probably a big factor for this, although people tend to overlook property taxes in texas
I'll just leave this too

Back