Wives

My first wife's a keeper!
wink.gif

good topic..

I broke up with my gf ages ago.. hurt pretty badly but after a few months I realized that not only was she 'not the one' but she never really did like my idea of my dream job career move.. "international airline captian".. so it was just as well.. she would have never supported me in the move.. I know you have to make sacrafices but if this is one goal you really want to do in this life...

so my question for you guys who are married: were your wives totally supportive from the get-go? Did it take some time or what happened? I went on a date with this girl recently and I told her what I was trying to get into and she just yawned and said "B-O-R-I-N-G"

(major turn-off)
mad.gif

Matthew

I have a question for everyone here and this is the perfect post to do it.

What does everything think of a prenup? The terms to a prenup can be pretty much anything, and here are mine. My wife doesn't get squat unless I cheat. The reason for this, as a pilot I plan on being gone a lot, and this seems to be a big problem for many former wives.

comments?

My personal opinion is that if you think you need a prenup, then you probably need to reconsider getting married in the first place, because there's a serious trust issue present.

I'm not married, but my current GF is marriage material ... we'd likely be cohabiting if not for the minor little annoyance that my job is in NC and her grad school is in Houston! She loves to travel, and is understanding of my career choice ... though she's not completely thrilled with the schedule (I don't think ANY pilot's spouse ever is). Her only stipulation is that she wants to live in Texas ... not a big deal because I really want to move back there too, and I'm willing to commute to do it, although a Texas-based corporate job or an airline with TX domiciles would be preferable to a lifetime of commuting! Plus, not paying state income tax is a nice bonus, especially if we're talking regional FO wages.

A buddy of mine who is an ACA captain once told me, "Most pilots wind up living wherever HER family lives." In his case, truer words were never spoken ... he moved to rural Alabama at his SO's request!

To me, I think having a person who is independent and can handle the household while you're gone is important. Ideally s/he would have a portable career ... my GF is in social services, and (other than licensing/certification hassles) there is a demand for people in that field everywhere. That way, if a move (or multiple moves) are in the cards, s/he won't be toast job-wise if you get transferred from Nome to Key West. A high trust factor is a must, given that opportunity (in the form of hotel rooms in strange cities, etc.) for infidelity is certainly present.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for everyone here and this is the perfect post to do it.

What does everything think of a prenup? The terms to a prenup can be pretty much anything, and here are mine. My wife doesn't get squat unless I cheat. The reason for this, as a pilot I plan on being gone a lot, and this seems to be a big problem for many former wives.

comments?

[/ QUOTE ] you mean - everyone?

and what if she cheats? are you & her expecting some cheating to go on? gotta remember that most airline relationships break up because of money issues.. loneliness is 2nd and cheating is 3rd.

Doug and I talked prenup for a while and we came to the conclusion that a prenup is "the beginning of the end"... if you can't trust your spouse, you shouldn't be getting married. but again, that's just our opinion.... you have to make up your own.
[ QUOTE ]
A high trust factor is a must, given that opportunity (in the form of hotel rooms in strange cities, etc.) for infidelity is certainly present.

[/ QUOTE ] yea, but keep in mind that infidelity happens in all situations... it seems that it's more available because of the traveling but in fact, it's not considered more prevailent from any other job out there, from what I know....
[ QUOTE ]
so my question for you guys who are married: were your wives totally supportive from the get-go?

[/ QUOTE ] I'll let doug talk about that cuz i'm biased! hahaha
grin.gif

hey, FL270, how did your gf get into the social services stuff and what does she actually do? That's kind of where I'm leaning towards and although i have my ideas about what goes on in the "real world" i don't really know, most people just tell me its a lot of paperwork. what did she get her degree(s) in? has she done any internship or job type of stuff that made her think about this as a career?

thanks!
cool.gif

if i ever get married i won't worry about a pre-nup. i'm so far in debt i might cheat on her just so she'll divorce me. she can take half of that with her too.
smirk.gif

Skibum ... remind me and I'll tell you all about her situation over our apres-ski cocktails in Utah. Too much to type!

Russ

[ QUOTE ]
if i ever get married i won't worry about a pre-nup. i'm so far in debt i might cheat on her just so she'll divorce me. she can take half of that with her too.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

That's what I say about identity thieves - take it if you want it!!!
tongue.gif

Do you have enough money worth protecting with a prenup? Cause other wise what's the point? I would have said no to a prenup until I saw Intolerable Cruelty.
grin.gif

I could not afford to pay someone to do all the things my wife dose for me. Of coruse if I did pay I wold not be naged so much
wink.gif

My opinion of prenups is that they are the smart thing to do for both parties if...you have any real possessions. I feel if you split up, whatever you have from the time you were married should be spilt by you both. I didn't even consider a prenup when I got hitched because there isn't a lot she could take except my dog and that would just mean war!!!

Not sure where the original question was going, but I'll add my $0.02.

My wife is the best thing that has ever happened in my life. She is not only my "soulmate", she literally IS my best friend. She picks up on details that I would usually miss and vica versa.

She is 100% supportive of my pursuit of a career in aviation because she knows that this is something I LOVE to do and something that I have great interest in. My job now is hell because I absolutely hate what I am doing. Believe me, she wants me to be happy!

She doesn't like to fly. It scares her. So, that's not something we have in common, but the beautiful part of that is that you don't HAVE to have everything in common.

As for prenups? FL270 hit the nail on the head - if you think you need one, you need to reconsider if you want to marry that person becuase there are some SERIOUS issues to consider.

Luckily for me, neither one of us had anything worth a crap when we met.
grin.gif

A prenup shouldn't be necessary if you have trust in the relationship. I know that being gone can put hardships on a relationship so maybe the spouse needs to actually experience what it is gonna be like before you marry them. That way the person knows exactly how it is. If there are any issues about trust and loneliness than rethinking the relationship is a good idea.

John think about it you really do pay for what all you wife does...you just dont send the check out monthly like a car payment...haha...

[ QUOTE ]
Men and women shouldn't be together for more than one night at a time.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that line on one of my ex girlfriends once. She hit me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Men and women shouldn't be together for more than one night at a time.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that line on one of my ex girlfriends once. She hit me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it hurt?

Back