Why are pilots overweight?

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, reading it even now makes me wonder what her malfunction is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No malfunction. Just a difference of opinion.
wink.gif

I think we can all agree on a baseline of professionalism.

But I think if we can all agree that you should 'play by the rules' when in full view of the public, which 99% of us can agree with, it's best left at that.

I've heard stories of people running across the terminal to scream "WHERE IS YOUR HAT?!" where the pilot's hat was severely damaged or dripping wet with de-icing fluid. Also, a verbal confrontation over a uniform hat in clear view of the public is far worse.

BTW, I hate having to wear my cap! Argh!

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I hate having to wear my cap! Argh!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! Except when it's raining and I'm out there preflighting!
grin.gif

At least airlines now let female pilots wear 'regular' pilots hats, and not those old peter-pan style hats.

Speaking of female pilots, here's a true story for ya:

When I was a flight engineer, we were riding with a UAL crew out to the airport from the hotel. The FO (my crew) looks around and see's a guy in a pilot uniform and four women wearing overcoats.

"Hey!" He says to the driver, "I think we're missing one!"

The driver looks back to the UAL captain and the captain nods "No".

My FO looks at the captain and says, "I guess your co pilot's going to dead head into Rochester?"

The captain doesn't say anything and one of the women wearing an overcoat holds up her FO cap.

"What are you doing with the FO's cap if he's already at the airplane?"

You could cut the tension with a dull butter knife. Lordy lordy lordy.

I wanted so bad to say, "Hey, dumass, SHE'S the FO" but thought he'd be able to work his way out.

Alas, he did not.

I keep myself in shape for the simple fact that I do not want to work so hard for something and have it taken away b/c I did not do 45 minutes in the gym. For as many hours of study and flight and giving up so much for a dream it would seem a waste to be hit with a pulled medical at some younge age, all b/c of something that is avoidable. Plus everyone needs to look at family medical history, my parents both have high blood pressure, so I need to be on top of it all the time. Plus the flight attendants do not like fat guys!!!

I don't know how you managed to keep a straight face there, Doug. I think I would have burst out laughing.

I guess all those time people told me "you look like a pilot" they were really trying to nicely suggest I go on a diet.

[ QUOTE ]
Do any airlines have a weight limit for pilots

[/ QUOTE ]

In the eyes of the FAA, we're all 180 pounds. I did know a couple of guys in the Jetstream that I was surprised could fit in the cockpit though.

I think it comes from sitting around, eating fast food, and not enough opportunity to excercise.

It's hard to get a decent meal on the road without paying $10-15 per meal. That gets expensive, so most of us bring microwavables or go to the burger joints... if we have time to eat. Many meals are made up of pretzels and cokes.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you have two seperate screen names from one computer on Jetcareers?

Or are you only allowed to have one screen name per computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try disabling the auto-login function. Then you can each log in with your separate accounts.

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to know if there overweightness is due to air pressure

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! I don't know how this was meant but I'm just glad I was only drinking water when I read it.

answer: no. but then again pilots aren't really fat. All that hot air makes them appear "larger than life".

Back