Why are pilots overweight?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you have two seperate screen names from one computer on Jetcareers?

Or are you only allowed to have one screen name per computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Send a PM to Tenney/Giants fan he can help you out.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you have two seperate screen names from one computer on Jetcareers?

Or are you only allowed to have one screen name per computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Send a PM to Tenney/Giants fan he can help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We had this one pilot at Eagle who used to sit around the crew lounge (thankfully he never went into the terminal like this) with the top two buttons on his shirt undone, clip-on tie clipped to an epaulette, no t-shirt under his uniform shirt, and icky tufts of chest hair sticking out the top by his chin. It was just the nastiest thing you'll ever see!

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like a personal problem.....yours.

Give it a few years girl, and you'll be hoping people cut you a little slack in the appearances dept., if you don't already. Seriously, it cracks me up how chest hair in particular was an integral component of what was considered "hot" a few decades ago, but is now apparently repulsive. Bottom line--people come in all shapes and sizes; we can't all look like the personas of perfection the media and Hollywood have foisted upon us and hate when people find the flaws in us just as we hold a magnifying glass up to theirs.

Get over it already.

[ QUOTE ]
We had this one pilot at Eagle who used to sit around the crew lounge (thankfully he never went into the terminal like this) with the top two buttons on his shirt undone, clip-on tie clipped to an epaulette, no t-shirt under his uniform shirt, and icky tufts of chest hair sticking out the top by his chin. It was just the nastiest thing you'll ever see!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a personal problem.....yours.

Give it a few years girl, and you'll be hoping people cut you a little slack in the appearances dept., if you don't already. Seriously, it cracks me up how chest hair in particular was an integral component of what was considered "hot" a few decades ago, but is now apparently repulsive. Bottom line--people come in all shapes and sizes; we can't all look like the personas of perfection the media and Hollywood have foisted upon us and hate when people find the flaws in us just as we hold a magnifying glass up to theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Aloft, I would have a problem with that too. Just cause the guy got the job doesn't mean he has to stop looking respectable at word.

I know it wasn't in the terminal, but I would still find that offensive (not sure if the crew lounge is a male lockeroom).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWO BUTTONS! SHIRT UNTUCKED! CHEST HAIR! IN THE CREW LOUNGE!
You have gotta be kidding me. Somebody call quality assurance.
Throw in a bag of pretzals and a hand-down-the-pants (hdtp) siteing and I would have called the cops.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a personal problem.....yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, My high school basketball coach wouldve had chest hair popping out of a tuxedo.

People need to stop watching the E! channel and get a life. Best part is I don't even grow chest hair. But if I did, Im damn sure I wouldnt want people crying if they saw a hair or two poke out. Come on.....

I think the point was is it was unprofessional...

Just ignore me.. this thread is heading the squawkbox way
confused.gif

Unprofessional?! The guy was off the clock and out of public view for crying out loud. Who friggin cares? I'm sure he wasn't in the crew lounge trying to pick up chicks.

Just because he was out of view of the passengers doesn't mean he shouldn't act and look like a professional. Professionalism isn't a "show" for the customers, where behind the curtain you can act like a tool.

I'm curious why you are so bothered by this? He was displaying himself in a distasteful manner among fellow professional aviators. It doesn't make a difference if he was a boy-band wannabe or a gorilla. Your appearance and how you carry yourself says a lot about you.

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at a photo gallery of airline pilots and I noticed many of them seem overweight. Even at the airport I have seen overweight pilots. I am wondering what makes them so overweight? Is it life style or is it because they fly many hours in the sky and because of altitude pressures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a combination of fatigue, screwed up circaedian rhythms and unavailability of decent nutrition.

Lots of our trips are constructed so it's extraordinarily difficult to eat something healthy when at least two of you meals are purchased in the airline terminal.

Terminals are packed with people traveling on business, picky eaters and others that are on vacation. This means that hamburgers, chik fil'a fried chicken sandwiches and mega greasy chinese food and pizza are the norm at the airport.

Some days you might skip breakfast to maximize sleep, fly all day and only have a meal opportunity while passing thru a terminal. And unless you've got an igloo that'll store food (and pass security) for four days, you're having a quick dinner in the terminal with limited choices. You'll normally arrive at the hotel late, without an opportunity to exercise, unless you're absolutely gung ho, and repeat for three more days.

Plus, it's a very sedentary job. I spend a lot of time sitting on my butt in cruise flight and I try to stand up at least once an hour to avoid getting a blood clot, which is a clear and present danger to people in this field.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because he was out of view of the passengers doesn't mean he shouldn't act and look like a professional. Professionalism isn't a "show" for the customers, where behind the curtain you can act like a tool.

I'm curious why you are so bothered by this? He was displaying himself in a distasteful manner among fellow professional aviators. It doesn't make a difference if he was a boy-band wannabe or a gorilla. Your appearance and how you carry yourself says a lot about you.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Distasteful manner"? Against what standard? Sorry Matt, but two undone buttons hardly counts as distasteful OR tool-like, particularly when you're on your own time--and if this isn't the case, then you better read Doug the riot act here, because I've seen photos of him on the job, in the cockpit, with his tie off and his collar unbuttoned! Oh the unprofessional humanity!

For that matter, how on earth could you arrive at "acting like a tool" from a description of his appearance? This is why I'm bothered by this: pretty boys and girls "offended" by the appearance of not-so-pretty ones, afraid it's going to rub off on you or something.

And my high fashion clip on tie gets taken off in the pilot lounge!

[quote}
displaying himself in a distasteful manner among fellow professional aviators.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean distasteful like dog testicles?
I don't get it....
confused.gif

That's not it at all. I have a zipper tie which I loosen or take off often, in the cockpit or in the crew lounge. But, even while relaxing and "loosening up a bit", I will still try to make sure that I maintain a positive appearance.

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I'm bothered by this: pretty boys and girls "offended" by the appearance of not-so-pretty ones, afraid it's going to rub off on you or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get this from what I said? It has NOTHING to do with looks. It has to do with taking care of yourself. I'd say the same thing about the most "pretty" pilots out there who don't use deoderant, walk around with wrinkled shirts untucked and unbuttoned, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Against what standard?.....particularly when you're on your own time...

[/ QUOTE ]

The standards set forth by crew uniform policies. "Own time?" Yes, you are relaxing, but you are still at work. When you are on overnights, you are on your "own time" but still represent the company you work for. When you are heading home and are still in uniform, you are "off the clock" but people are still watching you. It's just about being comfortable but still maintain a positive, professional appearance in your uniform.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like a personal problem.....yours.

Get over it already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! I must be a real jetcareers regular now, this is my first time getting personally attacked!

I have friends in all shapes and sizes. I hold a magnifying glass up to no one. E.K. (the pilot I mentioned) looked like a slob. That's my personal opinion. Period, end of story.

Great attitude Matt. You know, its funny, even if a pilot is a little overweight, but he still cares about his appearance while at work, its possible to still pull off a professional image. But its pretty annoying how many pilots just DONT CARE how they present themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
Professionalism isn't a "show" for the customers, where behind the curtain you can act like a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, brother. Uniforms are a show for the passengers. So what if someone wants to loosen up their gear in the privacy of the crew room. As long as the public doesn’t see it there is no harm. Do you object to ATA crews removing their ties on a four hour leg behind a locked door? What about FedEx crews stripping down to shorts and t-shirts on a fourteen hour long-haul flight to Asia? Are they any less professional?

Now I’d argue that flying a 30 seat turbine airliner for $19k a year and then whining about it on some bulletin board is unprofessional. That’s just my view though.

And I second everything Aloft says.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I'm bothered by this: pretty boys and girls "offended" by the appearance of not-so-pretty ones, afraid it's going to rub off on you or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get this from what I said? It has NOTHING to do with looks. It has to do with taking care of yourself. I'd say the same thing about the most "pretty" pilots out there who don't use deoderant, walk around with wrinkled shirts untucked and unbuttoned, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you not been reading the thread? It has everything to do with looks...specifically, the looks of "icky" chest hair peeking out of the open collared shirt of an off-duty pilot. Jesus, reading it even now makes me wonder what her malfunction is.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you mean distasteful like dog testicles?
I don't get it....
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! Im not saying anyone is right or wrong here, its definitely a matter of personal opinion. As that saying goes, well, you know it. Fact of the matter is you cant please everyone all the time, but as long as your shirt is buttoned up with tie on while walking in public, I dont see the problem.

What I do see as a problem is something aloft brought up. The media. They have made us a hollywood society which requires a body that of a perfect human specimen to avoid any criticism. Next thing you know they are going to be altering DNA in the womb so we all come out with blonde hair and blue eyes.

I guess all Im saying is we all have different things that disgust us about someone else, but what may be pretty to you may be repulsive to someone else. So lets all just be ourselves and go home.
grin.gif

Back