What needs to happen to re-open contract negotiations?

How sad. You need to look at the BIG picture my good man.

while we butt heads on the ability of trainees to learn and do the job, i'm right there with you in respect to pay and contracts. i cant BELIEVE how many times i've heard an applicant say "well 40k is more than i made at my own job, so i will be happy." YOUR OLD JOB WASN'T ANYTHING LIKE THIS JOB. :banghead:

while we butt heads on the ability of trainees to learn and do the job, i'm right there with you in respect to pay and contracts. i cant BELIEVE how many times i've heard an applicant say "well 40k is more than i made at my own job, so i will be happy." YOUR OLD JOB WASN'T ANYTHING LIKE THIS JOB. :banghead:

Or the fact, everything in the world has gone up, and ATC wages went down.

better yet,,,

What is to happen to us the new hires, when the FAA sees this new generation just rolls over and let them knock us with pay cut after pay cut after pay cuts.Benefits go out the window? pension? Its a crazy cycle once you go down that road. I am happy to see congress will be getting involved to restore negotiations. The important part is for new hires not to budge when these veterans retire, we have a right to demand what we deserve. Unfortunately all we can do right now though is hope for the best case scenario.

To them that say "well 40k a year is good" tell me at your old job were you responsible for thousands of lives? commerce? national infrastructure? work swing shifts? have no family life? (am i forgetting anything atltracon?)

wow how 40k a year just doesn't look as good anymore does it? The pay cuts are unfair, unbalanced, and imposed work rules are crap. I agree i hope something is done.

it's all relative, the pay is ####. what am I gonna do about it? Nothing.
OK as a CPC I'll make 90k at my facility, that isn't #### to live on.

what will it take? You mean besides an act of god?

it's all relative, the pay is ####. what am I gonna do about it? Nothing.
OK as a CPC I'll make 90k at my facility, that isn't #### to live on.

what will it take? You mean besides an act of god?

IMO, if you can not live off of 90k, you might need to rethink your extracurricular activities or move to a cheaper city/state. Or if you are married tell your wife to get a job.

To them that say "well 40k a year is good" tell me at your old job were you responsible for thousands of lives? commerce? national infrastructure? work swing shifts? have no family life? (am i forgetting anything atltracon?)

Nope....except shorter life span, constant stress and soooooo many more things.

I agree.

Why don't all of you who are bitching quit and drop out of the application process. Then everyone who is left will get raises as they raise the pay to attract more candidates as all of them have left due to the crappy pay.

Also, not everything in the world has gone up. I was making more every year for the last 8 years than I will make this year. Some of us are just going to be thankful to have a job at all during these tough times. When the economy rebounds is when it will be time to fight for better pay and working conditions. When the economy is down like it is now, you will be lucky to get anything.

Also, if you all could make so much more doing something else, why don't you go do it?

sounds like a lot of money, it isn't.

I never said it was a lot of money....for someone who is single, it's dam good money....now 90k for what you do as an ATC I can not comment on.....but in general it's dam good money. If you are responsible with your money, 90k can go along ways. On the other hand, if you go out and buy a Corvette ZR1 at $100k, a $350k house, $60k boat, all within your first year as a CPC, than $90k wont get you very far.:D

I never said it was a lot of money....for someone who is single, it's dam good money....now 90k for what you do as an ATC I can not comment on.....but in general it's dam good money. If you are responsible with your money, 90k can go along ways. On the other hand, if you go out and buy a Corvette ZR1 at $100k, a $350k house, $60k boat, all within your first year as a CPC, than $90k wont get you very far.:D

Maybe if you live somewhere housing is cheap, if you live somewhere that a little ####box house costs 200-225k (or much, much worse) then it doesn't go very far with a $1500 mortgage.
FWIW I drive a $2500 jeep.

I live in California where housing is anything but cheap. I have a $1600 mortgage (not including property taxes) a new car and a motorcycle. My wife also has a nice car and a Coach purse addiction. I could easily live on $60k per year. If you think you cannot live on $90k per year, you are doing something wrong, especially with a $2500 jeep.

I live in California where housing is anything but cheap. I have a $1600 mortgage (not including property taxes) a new car and a motorcycle. My wife also has a nice car and a Coach purse addiction. I could easily live on $60k per year. If you think you cannot live on $90k per year, you are doing something wrong, especially with a $2500 jeep.
with 50% of your take home going to housing, plus bills, plus car payments? if you say so...

while we're nitpicking please point out where I said I couldn't live on 90k :rolleyes:
I simply said it's not a lot of money, and it isn't.

"it doesn't go very far with a $1500 mortgage"

My point was that if you can live on 60k...how does another 30k not go far? that is an extra 50% every year.

I agree it's not a LOT of money, but it is definitely adequate. And if I can keep 50% of my bring home for saving, food and entertainment I think I am doing pretty good. I have made more than 60k in the past, and a ton went into savings at the time. I think people just really need to learn how to handle their money better.

Also, last I checked I think the Median National income was somewhere around 36k. Do you think every one of those people is starving to death? How could an extra 54k not help you live an adequate lifestyle?

"it doesn't go very far with a $1500 mortgage"

My point was that if you can live on 60k...how does another 30k not go far? that is an extra 50% every year.

I agree it's not a LOT of money, but it is definitely adequate. And if I can keep 50% of my bring home for saving, food and entertainment I think I am doing pretty good. I have made more than 60k in the past, and a ton went into savings at the time. I think people just really need to learn how to handle their money better.

Also, last I checked I think the Median National income was somewhere around 36k. Do you think every one of those people is starving to death? How could an extra 54k not help you live an adequate lifestyle?

If you say so.

If you say so.

Why do you all continue to try to argue Philip or any of his comments? Haven't you learned by now he won't stop.

Just smile and nod.

smileannod.gif

Why do you all continue to try to argue Philip or any of his comments? Haven't you learned by now he won't stop.

Just smile and nod.

smileannod.gif

I forgot, you can't argue with the know-it-alls around here.
thank god most of you aren't going to the same facility I am.

Back