What made you choose freight?

Aahahhahahahhahah. Doing the same stuff in a plane with pax as you do in one with boxes? *weep*. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA. Oh, God, you're killing me over here.

There were a few runs like that in the system. Inyokern to Bishop is flying in a canyon VFR and was "fun" at times. I would never do that with PAX on board. There were a bunch of things done in the freight world that I wouldn't do now when I fly PAX. That being said, I stand by my previous comment about getting the plane configured and being able to make the runway from a 2 mile final safely and comfortably.

Well, the other option is that I'M the Nancy. When I fly pax, I fly as smoothly as is possible with my limited skills. I configure early, I absolutely waste gas and time so that the experience is seamless, with no abrupt power changes or high angles of bank (as totally safe as they might be). It might be true that it's possible to fly on the bleeding edge of performance with people in the back, and I'm just too meow to do it. Regardless, though, I submit to you that it's a different experience for the pilot. Flying freight, if the plane isn't falling out of the sky, everything is cool. Need another ten degrees of bank to line up? Do it. Little too fast on that base leg? Turn it on its side and load it up, that'll slow you down. Flying pax, there's always something in the back of your head saying "OK, but what about Mr. Popadopalus and his prized beagles...either or both might make a mess on the carpet..."

I'm just trying to say the premise that flying pax in jets being like flying freight in props is the same isn't even remotely true.

There's just no reason to push it. Polar742 running late with 250,000 lbs of freight will probably stop the show. Yet, I guarantee those guys on the Whale fly the jet conservatively.

Showing up late to the hub in a Metro? Sorry guys, I doubt anyone really cares. What are you really proving?

There's just no reason to push it. Polar742 running late with 250,000 lbs of freight will probably stop the show. Yet, I guarantee those guys on the Whale fly the jet conservatively.

Showing up late to the hub in a Metro? Sorry guys, I doubt anyone really cares. What are you really proving?
It's not even about time. It's about getting there at all.

You be surprised how much the customer actually cares about a couple of hundred pounds being late. If the feeder is late, the big jet is late or there's a service failure. It could cause a big problem and the feeder wont have the contract for long if they can't do the flight on time. That's a fact.

Not necessarily saying that you have to push it to make it on time. But part of the job is being efficient. If the flight is going to be late. Its blnot going to be my fault.

You be surprised how much the customer actually cares about a couple of hundred pounds being late. If the feeder is late, the big jet is late or there's a service failure. It could cause a big problem and the feeder wont have the contract for long if they can't do the flight on time. That's a fact.

Granted, I'm certainly no old hand at this freight thing. I'm new to it. I'm just trying to understand why the "big jet" (generating the most revenue) would fly conservatively, and the feeder would fly aggressively.

Granted, I'm certainly no old hand at this freight thing. I'm new to it. I'm just trying to understand why the "big jet" (generating the most revenue) would fly conservatively, and the feeder would fly aggressively.

Because the feeder has to meet the big jet, the big jet usually doesn't have to meet another big jet. Not always the case but it usually gets gets offloaded and sorted. I always rushed because the days were so freaking long that if I got home sooner, I could sleep sooner.

Not necessarily saying that you have to push it to make it on time. But part of the job is being efficient. If the flight is going to be late. Its blnot going to be my fault.

+1

I know at our base, if I don't get into MKE by 9pm central I'm pretty much screwed and end up having to go to SDF or RFD instead (which adds to an already long day) because the Big Jet leaves at a certain time no matter if the our cargo is on board or not. Hence, I feel like the Big Jet drivers are not as worried about their times as much as us feeder guys are and it doesn't help that the "Customer" most of the time doesn't really care if there is weather or their own drivers our late they still expect us to get in on time or somehow fix the situation.

Being on time is very important to the big jets, and yes, the big jets meet other big jets, which meet bigger jets, and so on.

Like I said, I don't claim to be anything but an FNG at this whole freight thing; I'm just trying to understand the rationale about pushing the limits of safety to get the freight there.

Being on time is very important to the big jets, and yes, the big jets meet other big jets, which meet bigger jets, and so on.

Like I said, I don't claim to be anything but an FNG at this whole freight thing; I'm just trying to understand the rationale about pushing the limits of safety to get the freight there.
I never pushed any safety limits and that's certainly not what we're talking about.

The Big Jet has definite time limitations. Our 4-motor jets roll into CVG. No sort without them. All the integrators are that way.

We still don't fly it any different than I remember flying pax on a 121 jet.

Repeat after me: It's a (good, alright, crappy) job.

Well, the other option is that I'M the Nancy. When I fly pax, I fly as smoothly as is possible with my limited skills. I configure early, I absolutely waste gas and time so that the experience is seamless, with no abrupt power changes or high angles of bank (as totally safe as they might be). It might be true that it's possible to fly on the bleeding edge of performance with people in the back, and I'm just too meow to do it. Regardless, though, I submit to you that it's a different experience for the pilot. Flying freight, if the plane isn't falling out of the sky, everything is cool. Need another ten degrees of bank to line up? Do it. Little too fast on that base leg? Turn it on its side and load it up, that'll slow you down. Flying pax, there's always something in the back of your head saying "OK, but what about Mr. Popadopalus and his prized beagles...either or both might make a mess on the carpet..."
I don't think you know my level of Sallyness. I've did a go-around a couple days ago! :eek::D

The Big Jet has definite time limitations. Our 4-motor jets roll into CVG. No sort without them. All the integrators are that way.

We still don't fly it any different than I remember flying pax on a 121 jet.

Repeat after me: It's a (good, alright, crappy) job.

I'll put it like this. I fly the aircraft specified by the SOP, GOM, and FAR's.

+1

I know at our base, if I don't get into MKE by 9pm central I'm pretty much screwed and end up having to go to SDF or RFD instead (which adds to an already long day) because the Big Jet leaves at a certain time no matter if the our cargo is on board or not. Hence, I feel like the Big Jet drivers are not as worried about their times as much as us feeder guys are and it doesn't help that the "Customer" most of the time doesn't really care if there is weather or their own drivers our late they still expect us to get in on time or somehow fix the situation.
That's because that base in particular is out of it's damn mind! :bang:

Maybe because the big jet pilots have unions and some semblance of job security and the feeders are constantly told that the contracts that provide their paychecks are up for bid every 30 days.

I'm not saying that I fly "aggressively," but I do know how to do the routes I fly efficiently. I know exactly when and where I can ask for direct and expect to get it. I know that coming from the east that if DEN is landing to the south that asking for direct to a VOR north of the field will save me two or three minutes while the canned flight plan that takes me to a VOR south of the field will just add time getting vectored to the north of the field anyway. And I know they I better have each driver's name written down and EXACTLY what time they got to the airplane because that gives dispatch something to go to bat for me with if I block out two minutes late.

And I know all the clocks in our aircraft are set 2-3 minutes slow. ;)

Back