What Else Should we not do in an Airplane?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21509
  • Start date
Don't take off with the towbar on your 172. Don't land your Seneca on a Cessna tow bar. Don't get out of a running Seneca to retrieve a tow bar from an active runway. Don't insult another CFI for flying with a towbar attached within earshot of that CFI's student.

Don't forget to put the gear down... I've seen 2 planes belly so far, and I'm sure those won't be the last I see....

upload_2015-1-16_21-40-4.jpeg

Remember about child support before going out with all of them..............

Yeah, I can't stand SFO drivers. At least you KNOW LA drivers are going to drive like a-holes. SF drivers are always way too timid and flip out and end up doing something unpredictable. Should be fun when I bring the Subaru out in a few weeks :p
Somebody didn't get laid in high school and I'm stuck behind somebody in Prius with ironic facial hair going 55 in the left lane.

Between 80 knots and V1 is a terrible time to get on the satphone and call dispatch for release.

One shall not use passive-aggressive language in the cockpit.

New pet peeve.

"So you're briefing me on doing a flaps 3 landing, but you'd rather do a flaps full landing, but the evil training department wants us to do 3, but you're not comfortable with it so you want to go flaps full, but you think that I'm going to think poorly of you for, wait, WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU WANT TO DO?!"

One shall not use passive-aggressive language in the cockpit.

New pet peeve.

"So you're briefing me on doing a flaps 3 landing, but you'd rather do a flaps full landing, but the evil training department wants us to do 3, but you're not comfortable with it so you want to go flaps full, but you think that I'm going to think poorly of you for, wait, WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU WANT TO DO?!"

Is there a reason the training department wants flaps 3 as the normal/preferred landing configuration?

There's one other airline I know that does that and they do solely because of saving 20-40 lbs of gas from the FAF to touchdown that one would save being flaps 3 versus full. Airbus's manual says flaps full config, with a note that in gusty or crosswind conditions flaps 3 might be preferred. All things normal, this thing is designed for flaps full and that's what I prefer. At our Co. all autolands (even the single engine) has to be flaps full. For PCs most guys will do their hand-flown single engine ILS with flaps 3 but I do it as full. If the autoland needs it that way, why not us?

Alas, someone always needs to change something and before long we too will be doing flaps 3 landings as the normal/preferred.

Is there a reason the training department wants flaps 3 as the normal/preferred landing configuration?

There's one other airline I know that does that and they do solely because of saving 20-40 lbs of gas from the FAF to touchdown that one would save being flaps 3 versus full. Airbus's manual says flaps full config, with a note that in gusty or crosswind conditions flaps 3 might be preferred. All things normal, this thing is designed for flaps full and that's what I prefer. At our Co. all autolands (even the single engine) has to be flaps full. For PCs most guys will do their hand-flown single engine ILS with flaps 3 but I do it as full. If the autoland needs it that way, why not us?

Alas, someone always needs to change something and before long we too will be doing flaps 3 landings as the normal/preferred.
If I remember right, (and some one correct me if I'm wrong) when I got to xjt in '07'ish they were doing flaps 22 landings so they weren't dragging it in at flaps full "wasting all that fuel". After six months or a year doing that, they realized they were spending more on brakes and taxi fuel after landing longer. Then we went back to flaps full landings. Why can't the bean counters just stay out of it and find their "cost savings" some where else?

If I remember right, (and some one correct me if I'm wrong) when I got to xjt in '07'ish they were doing flaps 22 landings so they weren't dragging it in at flaps full "wasting all that fuel". After six months or a year doing that, they realized they were spending more on brakes and taxi fuel after landing longer. Then we went back to flaps full landings. Why can't the bean counters just stay out of it and find their "cost savings" some where else?

I agree. From studying the Perf approach page on hundreds of flights, I've noticed that 99% of the time, the Vref difference between full and flaps 3 is 5 knots. So that's 5 additional knots of having to eat more runway, having to use additional brakes, and more time spent in reverse thrust. At the end of the day I really wonder how much fuel is saved. Our airline is very fuel conscious but they haven't "suggested" for us to do more flaps 3 landings. [Yet]

Back