Welp, I knew it would happen... KCM at risk

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
ROME, Jun 24, 2013 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Police in Rome say they've arrested a US Airways flight attendant for allegedly trying to bring a disassembled gun onto a flight.

The 60-year-old woman who was only identified by her initials, J.J., was found with a disassembled Sig Sauer revolver and 40 round of ammunition, five of them spent, in her carry-on bag Sunday, the Italian news agency ANSA reported Monday. The gun was detected at the Fiumicino airport security checkpoint.

The woman was scheduled to work a flight from Rome to Charlotte, N.C. She was instead taken to Cicitavecchia prison and charged with possession of an unauthorized firearm.

She allegedly told police she'd brought the gun to Italy from the United States.

From the Italian Media:
(ANSA) - Fiumicino, June 24 - Police arrested a gun-toting 60-year-old flight attendant Sunday at Rome's Fiumicino Airport.

The woman, known only by the initials J. J., was about to board a US Airways Rome-Charlotte flight when Italian border police found a disassembled 40 caliber SIG SAUER revolver in her carry-on luggage. They also found 40 rounds, five of them spent.

Nabbed during pre-boarding security procedures, J. J. told police that she brought the gun to Rome from the US. Charged with possession of an unauthorized firearm, she was taken into custody and transferred to Civitavecchia prison pending an investigation by the local prosecutor's office.

ALPA and the ATA paid for it, pilots helped develop it and then Lee Moak and the ATA absolutely insisted flight attendants be included without additional background checks.

Derg said:
From the Italian Media:

ALPA and the ATA paid for it, pilots helped develop it and then Lee Moak and the ATA absolutely insisted flight attendants be included without additional background checks.

There goes what could have been an amazing program....

I am going to be royally pissed if KCM goes away.

Its not that I don't trust flight attendants or find them unworthy of special treatment. It's that it is a lot easier for someone who wishes to do something bad to become a flight attendant than it is to put up with all the BS required to become a pilot.

I am going to be royally pissed if KCM goes away.

Its not that I don't trust flight attendants or find them unworthy of special treatment. It's that it is a lot easier for someone who wishes to do something bad to become a flight attendant than it is to put up with all the BS required to become a pilot.
That's a good point

I didn't even know Sig made a revolver. Seems somehow inconguous, like Boeing trying to build a tractor or something...
That's the first thing I noticed to. Off to google. I didn't even think they made anything but all metal DA/SA until recently.

Before they dump KCM, they should dump the FAs. I agree with the above statement...it is not that hard to become a FA and get KCM.

Isn't the first time an FA was caught with a pistol who was 'suspected' of passing through KCM.
There was one a little closer to home, like in Ohio...

She still has her job after a little unpaid vacation.

I have to echo what Emu said above.

There's no reason to believe that KCM is at risk. And as far as the attitude that FAs are more likely to cause problems with this than pilots, I'll remind you that several pilots have been arrested over the years for trying to bring guns through security.

Isn't the first time an FA was caught with a pistol who was 'suspected' of passing through KCM.
There was one a little closer to home, like in Ohio...

She still has her job after a little unpaid vacation.

I have to echo what Emu said above.

It happened in ATL as well. But with the "cheese cutter"

Even a KCM lane at LAS would take far more time than the present process for both drop-off and pick-up.

Agreed, but I am sure the TSA is thinking 'by golly, if we have this KCM line, the crews are going to use it!'

You get my text?

I think it wouldn't be correct for us to state that the 'change in crew pickup/dropoff' was precipitated by the soon-to-arrive KCM desk at LAS.

Several crew members breached the agreement on numerous occasions and the kibosh was put on the program.

Personally, I'm heavily afraid that continued abuse of the system is going to result in the canceling of KCM just like LAS. We need to take these incidents seriously and not seemingly shrug it off as a acceptable anomaly, especially in the age of spending cutbacks.

These incidents can color the program "low hanging fruit" of the budget and we, the users, need to guard it protectively and proactively.

I don't care how much longer it takes. I'll stand in line for up to 20 minutes if it means I don't have to do the laptop out, shoes off, juggle my luggage game.

We enjoy(ed) round trip jetway-to-hotel service, European-style in Las Vegas for years.

Hell, just getting out of the gate area to the pick-up area may take you 15-20 minutes probably the same from drop-off thru the KCM checkpoint to the gate, I presume.

Every minute you spend doing this is one less minute on your layover as I'll bet you a dollar we will pick up earlier.

Back