Well, That's one way to call it quits....

He is an idiot and unstable. I am glad he won't be aboard a flight I am on. If he cannot handle this type of stress, then what would have happened in an emergency?

I do not and cannot condone this type of action. I understand the frustration he felt, and I often feel frustration myself, but cannot understand why people are applauding this guy. If you don't like your job, quit, but to intentionally destroy company property and steal? That deserves jail time.

I guess the my problem with this is a simple question, do we want anarchy, or order?

This guy can't deal within societal bounds, so he disregarded them. He affected many lives that day. He may have cost someone a job, or the last few minutes with a dying loved one...because he "flipped"?
Unacceptable behavior...sorry.

Do you and FlyChicaga sleep at attention or something? ;) This situation is just plain funny. Nobody was hurt.

Do you and FlyChicaga sleep at attention or something? ;) This situation is just plain funny. Nobody was hurt.

That's impossible to say. Like has been said before, there could have been business deals lost, or someone missed the last couple moments of another's life.

Aside from those things, it hurt the company. Cost a lot of money in repair, down time, and I'm sure quite a few irate passengers.

That

I don't get the hero worship though because he is just a nutjob who couldn't handle the stresses of his CHOSEN job, but it is damn funny given that there is nobody hurt. But I should say that the hero worship is misplaced at best because people could have easily been hurt deploying the shoot on the ramp just after arrival (rampworkers running around all over the place).

In this guy's defense, did anyone else see the cut on his forehead? He was assaulted as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that he didn't Snooky the chick to the floor is defense enough for me.

Defense: cut on forehead. Felt threatened, was wounded, blow to head.

Temporary insanity/disorientation.

The FA walks. The pax looks like an ass. Life goes on.

I don't condone the FAs actions, surely... but I gotta admit- nobody was hurt, so therefore it's damned funny.

The way I look at it, no, he shouldn't have bailed on his duty/job/responsibility. However, instead of striking back and hitting the pax in return, or going totally postal and tearing up the plane/cabin, he removed himself from the situation. The slide pack, while costly, is made to be used and detach from the plane, so from what I understand there shouldn't have been ANY damage to the plane. Yes, someone on the ground could have been injured from the slide deployment, but no one was.

Basically, he reached a breaking point after being assaulted by a pax, and he removed himself from the situation. Had he flipped out and hurt people on the plane or tore up the plane, I think public sentiment would not be so much on his side.

Just my opinion.

The way I look at it, no, he shouldn't have bailed on his duty/job/responsibility. However, instead of striking back and hitting the pax in return, or going totally postal and tearing up the plane/cabin, he removed himself from the situation. The slide pack, while costly, is made to be used and detach from the plane, so from what I understand there shouldn't have been ANY damage to the plane. Yes, someone on the ground could have been injured from the slide deployment, but no one was.

Basically, he reached a breaking point after being assaulted by a pax, and he removed himself from the situation. Had he flipped out and hurt people on the plane or tore up the plane, I think public sentiment would not be so much on his side.

Just my opinion.

What the guy did was unprofessional and wrong, plain and simple. If the pax was not following command a much better option would have been to have the pax removed from the plain by cops.

Yes, what he did was wrong, completely out of line, and could have caused harm to others.

He's lauded by the public because rational professionals know that we would never, ever, create a situation such as this. He's cheered by the public because many people have been there, frustrated by jobs or the people they work with, and yet remain composed when all they wanted to do was stick it to the man. He lived out (in a grandiose way) the, "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home," fantasy that so many people have had, but would never act on.

While it's not ok to break the law, and it's never ok to potentially cause harm to others...we've all been there Slater, and it's amusing to the public to see someone who finally lived out what many have fantasized about. Was it ok? Absolutely not. Is it amusing? Yes.

That

I don't get the hero worship though because he is just a nutjob who couldn't handle the stresses of his CHOSEN job, but it is damn funny given that there is nobody hurt. But I should say that the hero worship is misplaced at best because people could have easily been hurt deploying the shoot on the ramp just after arrival (rampworkers running around all over the place).

Agree i was his chosen job, and he did it with distinction for 20 years. He hit the last straw. I in NO way think he should get his job back.....I mean, he's the one that made the terminal decision to leave it. But I also don't think he should be prosecuted for anything. IE- cabin crew are in kind of a unique position....they often can't walk away from things, as there's usually nowhere to go.......its not like working in a convenience store and you just lock the doors and put up the "closed" sign.

Maybe, if anything, this should be cause for a potential human factors study of some of the stresses inherent to cabin crew, that cockpit crew very often never have to deal with.

I hope it sparks a wave of similar incidents. Overworked, underpaid "service sector" employees just deciding "screw it". Let's see how your imaginary economy functions when the proles refuse to keep smiling. Oh, and I'm not at all opposed to violence against the terminally rude and dehumanizing. They're destroying everything halfway decent in life in their relentless, infantile, insane quest for MORE FOR ME...least they can do is lose a few toothies in the process.

I hope it sparks a wave of similar incidents. Overworked, underpaid "service sector" employees just deciding "screw it". Let's see how your imaginary economy functions when the proles refuse to keep smiling. Oh, and I'm not at all opposed to violence against the terminally rude and dehumanizing. They're destroying everything halfway decent in life in their relentless, infantile, insane quest for MORE FOR ME...least they can do is lose a few toothies in the process.

For years my siblings, mother and I watched my father berate and harass service personnel - mostly restaurant waitstaff. Everywhere we went - if the food was a few minutes later than normal, he'd start yelling and pointing fingers. If his tea glass wasn't filled up right away he would explode and make a scene in the entire restaurant. My father has a lot of great qualities, but he's the most viral, hateful, inconsiderate, and hostile person I've ever met in my entire life - and his scorn is generally aimed at service personnel. Usually after the meal, when my father was in the restroom, we'd have to go around and apologize to whomever he had belittled.

All that time growing up, I secretly pined for some waiter, one day, to cold cock the ---- out of him and tell him to go to hell. I think that's all it would have ever taken - just for one person to say screw it and defend their own personal dignity - but no one ever did. I mean I don't blame them, my dad was a pretty imposing figure as it was. We didn't say anything to him because he could become very physically abusive if you caught his ire.

It all culminated in him attacking my grandfather (mother's mom) at our wedding in front of other guests. Before he was led out of his son's wedding, the last thing he told me before I was getting ready to walk down the aisle is "I never loved your mom - we're getting a divorce". Well that's just flippin' great - thanks dad!

I'm not trying to be a downer. In fact, my siblings and I have learned to cope with all of my dad's issues with humor. I can even laugh at the wedding thing now. But my point is, there are people out there who live in their own little world where being verbally and physically abusive others is perceived as their right. Most of this country is willing to let them get away with it. I tip my hat to those who don't. I think it's important to put a-holes in their place - more important than any job.

Rant over.

people may not have been injured, but they were damaged...

as far as sleeping at attention, I do have trouble rolling over in my sleep.... I understand if you have no point of reference....

For years my siblings, mother and I watched my father berate and harass service personnel - mostly restaurant waitstaff. Everywhere we went - if the food was a few minutes later than normal, he'd start yelling and pointing fingers. If his tea glass wasn't filled up right away he would explode and make a scene in the entire restaurant. My father has a lot of great qualities, but he's the most viral, hateful, inconsiderate, and hostile person I've ever met in my entire life - and his scorn is generally aimed at service personnel. Usually after the meal, when my father was in the restroom, we'd have to go around and apologize to whomever he had belittled.

All that time growing up, I secretly pined for some waiter, one day, to cold cock the ---- out of him and tell him to go to hell. I think that's all it would have ever taken - just for one person to say screw it and defend their own personal dignity - but no one ever did. I mean I don't blame them, my dad was a pretty imposing figure as it was. We didn't say anything to him because he could become very physically abusive if you caught his ire.

It all culminated in him attacking my grandfather (mother's mom) at our wedding in front of other guests. Before he was led out of his son's wedding, the last thing he told me before I was getting ready to walk down the aisle is "I never loved your mom - we're getting a divorce". Well that's just flippin' great - thanks dad!

I'm not trying to be a downer. In fact, my siblings and I have learned to cope with all of my dad's issues with humor. I can even laugh at the wedding thing now. But my point is, there are people out there who live in their own little world where being verbally and physically abusive others is perceived as their right. Most of this country is willing to let them get away with it. I tip my hat to those who don't. I think it's important to put a-holes in their place - more important than any job.

Rant over.

Sorry to hear about all that. This is exactly the reason I hung up my apron and told myself that I'd never be a restaurant server again. I made good money on a great schedule and worked with some cool people while I was doing it, too. As much as I've always been told that I shouldn't take it personally (the customer is simply venting to the "face" of the company, not you the individual), I just couldn't not take it personally. Someone talks down to me and I immediately get angry. My personality just doesn't work in a standard customer service environment I think.

I am very customer-oriented as a pilot, but my role does keep the belittling and demeaning crowd at bay. Even then, a friend of mine (a Beechjet FO) was just screamed at, belittled, and threatened with termination by a random customer because of some flight delay outside of his control. It's people like that who make me want to stick to sitting behind an armor-reinforced door.

Back