Well, That's one way to call it quits....

There have been several cases of people being killed by slide deployments. I think they were mostly on the jetway side, but it has happened.

100 tons?

Seriously no idea. He could have looked out the window before he pulled it. He's trained after all.

What part of his training was he following that day? Where is the "steal beer" clause in his SOP...

So you don't know how much it weighs, but scoff at the idea that it could kill someone, all while defending this maniac's actions.

What part of his training was he following that day? Where is the "steal beer" clause in his SOP...

So you don't know how much it weighs, but scoff at the idea that it could kill someone, all while defending this maniac's actions.

Yeah yeah I'm a bad person.

How, freak accident? I don't think the slide would have done anthing other than knock someone down.

Yes, the slide can kill you during inflation and people have been people have been killed over the years when slides get deployed accidentally. Most airlines have specific procedures to ensure the slides are disarmed at the gate prior to opening the door. I know at my previous operator no outside the aircraft my touch a door until the FA and confirmed the slides have been disarmbed. The slides deploye quickly with a lot of force behind them.

Now I hear he was offered his own reality tv show to host? And misses being in the industry and wants back in? This guy has so much popularity and publicity... move over sully! The people want the crazies and unprofessionals on their flight decks I suppose. [IMHO]

Now I hear he was offered his own reality tv show to host? And misses being in the industry and wants back in? This guy has so much popularity and publicity... move over sully! The people want the crazies and unprofessionals on their flight decks I suppose. [IMHO]

It is amazing how people reward this crap behavior....

It is amazing how people reward this crap behavior....

Indeed.

However we are living in a society where all it takes is a big butt and a sex tape and one can be a star with millions of dollars showing up in your BankOne account every 15th.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare this episode (rather than the character involved) to dancing with the stars, et al. The Serfs are sick and tired of smiling rictally whilst serving their Betters in jobs that offer not only poor pay and benefits, but no conceivable potential for advancement, let alone a rewarding, meaningful, dynamic interior life. They identify with the subsumed Rage the guy must have been feeling for years and years. Serving drinks, getting treated like a child BY CHILDREN. Seen as almost literally a human convenience, there to take your drink order, adhere to your notion of seemly conduct, smile, and disappear forever back to wherever the Proles live and breed, Or Else: feel the wrath of your displeasure. It would drive me to homicide in way less than 20 years. I'd say ole Steve showed great fortitude and went out the graceful way.

Ponder this: You may not agree with me, being (for the most part) relatively priviledged middle-class work drones (as, obviously, am I). But it's worth thinking about why this guy has a gadjillion totally PO'ed admirers. As in, like, what does this say about the society we live in, and where it's headed? And I don't mean "haha, does guyz are dum. Let's buy some more stocks!"

I'm pissed too, but singular random acts of idiocy isn't going to fix the issue. Only when we realize that our strength is in numbers and we actually start paying attention and making sacrifices to change things will we be able to stop the continuing spiral into the cast system.

I tried to educate pilots about the issues, and most people just want to put their head down and not take a stand. People were happy to see me stand up, but no one would back me up.
I do not tolerate people being mean or rude, and I call them on it within the rules of society. I win nearly all the time, but it takes an effort.

Every time you let someone be rude, or give you poor service, or let the mother of the child behind you in line allow her boy to destroy the property of the shop owner, every time you avoid confrontation for expedience when you KNOW there is a wrong being committed you contribute to the continued degradation of our civilized culture.

I can't tell if he jumped out with 1 beer or 2. The world may never know.

If he left with two, but ended up with a full can and an empty, but imbibed, on the bottom of the escape slide, that's pimp.

Back