Weekend Jet Accidents in the USA

Nebraska is awesome. Whenever I wear my Nebraska sweatshirt, folks from Nebraska will cross the street to say hello.

Pretty sure @derg was intending to point out that many parts of California are not liberal Mecca’s and are much like … Nebraska.

I've lived in Nebraska for 16 years. It's not for everyone, but I like it better than the half dozen other places I've lived around the country.

I had an odd experience the other week, walking along the Strip in Las Vegas. Someone walking towards me was wearing a Nebraska shirt. Another stranger walking next to me yells to the first one, "Go Big Red!"

They reply, "You're from Nebraska?!? Alright!!!" and shared their little moment.

For a split second I was tempted to yell, "Nebraska over here too!" but then I bit my tongue and kept walking, because that would get too weird. But the urge was there.

Anyway, Nebraska is underrated. Politically it's super Republican yet not very Trumpy (Google Ben Sasse or Don Bacon, very typical of current politics). Traffic jams don't exist outside of Omaha, and even Omaha isn't bad. Before the pandemic you could buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood for less than $300k and you can still do it for less than $400k. We'll have clean drinking water long after everyone else runs out or gets polluted and natural disasters aren't really a thing here. There's tornadoes, hail, and an occasional blizzard, but that's not nearly as bad as earthquakes, wildfires, or hurricanes. Murders are a thing, but it's mostly confined to sketchy people doing sketchy things. Not mass shootings where you might get blasted while minding your own business.

Also, we are home to the country's newest ULCC! Google "Red Way" and you'll see what I mean. Maybe I'll be an Airbus driver before long!

I wonder whose bright idea that was?! I can’t believe the airport authority went along with that.

I can't believe the PIC/DO/owner went along with that!

Some years ago, a student pilot lost control of our flying club's Warrior and veered off the runway at DMW into a ditch off the left side of 34. He was okay, thankfully, and the airplane WOULD have been okay....

...but the FBO called a wrecker to come pull the airplane out. And rather than hook up to the tail tiedown to pull the airplane out, they rigged up some kind of strap around the front of the fuse near the firewall and dragged it out, tail first.

...bending the firewall and, I think, the spar, and few other things as well. Instantly totaled the airplane.

The did this before letting the club know.

That Warrior wasn't the shiniest example of an airplane but it had pep, the controls were rigged nicely and it was a lovely little airplane to bum around in for $100 hamburgers.

SoDak is right up there. It’s Nebraska without the crowds or income tax.

The area around Rapid is an undiscovered gem. I fully expect the money to swoop in an exploit and/or ruin it shortly.

Back in the day, NoDak decided they weren’t as cool (colder, yes) as SoDak, and there was an effort to change the name to just “Dakota”.

The area around Rapid is an undiscovered gem. I fully expect the money to swoop in an exploit and/or ruin it shortly.
True story. Custer State Park is a budget version of Yellowstone. I love it up there. Most of the same beauty with a fraction of the crowds and price.

If I didn't have the runway by Red Table I was going missed and heading to Montrose or Rifle.

This was in a Falcon 900EX/B and 50EX.

What's that even mean? Literally nobody there at all?

Omaha metro area is over a million people. That's about half the population of all of Nebraska.

It kind of has a Chicago + Illinois dynamic to it.

Omaha isn't big by most standards, but when you're comparing it to little towns of 5k or 10k people, it's a big deal.

Everything is relative.

SoDak is right up there. It’s Nebraska without the crowds or income tax.

Back in the day, NoDak decided they weren’t as cool (colder, yes) as SoDak, and there was an effort to change the name to just “Dakota”.
It’s already happening. My wife is from the Black Hills and the amount of change occurring up there over the last 5-10yrs has been staggering.

I've lived in Nebraska for 16 years. It's not for everyone, but I like it better than the half dozen other places I've lived around the country.

I had an odd experience the other week, walking along the Strip in Las Vegas. Someone walking towards me was wearing a Nebraska shirt. Another stranger walking next to me yells to the first one, "Go Big Red!"

They reply, "You're from Nebraska?!? Alright!!!" and shared their little moment.

For a split second I was tempted to yell, "Nebraska over here too!" but then I bit my tongue and kept walking, because that would get too weird. But the urge was there.

Anyway, Nebraska is underrated. Politically it's super Republican yet not very Trumpy (Google Ben Sasse or Don Bacon, very typical of current politics). Traffic jams don't exist outside of Omaha, and even Omaha isn't bad. Before the pandemic you could buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood for less than $300k and you can still do it for less than $400k. We'll have clean drinking water long after everyone else runs out or gets polluted and natural disasters aren't really a thing here. There's tornadoes, hail, and an occasional blizzard, but that's not nearly as bad as earthquakes, wildfires, or hurricanes. Murders are a thing, but it's mostly confined to sketchy people doing sketchy things. Not mass shootings where you might get blasted while minding your own business.

Also, we are home to the country's newest ULCC! Google "Red Way" and you'll see what I mean. Maybe I'll be an Airbus driver before long!

Not necessarily cultural, but I mean I'm from the part that gets a little too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, it's usually cloudy or foggy. tons of agriculture, traffic jams because of farm equipment on city streets and "Oh, that dairy air!"

I like Nebraska! Besides, I'm friends with the former mayor of Omaha and one of your former state senators!

Last edited:
Not necessarily cultural, but I mean I'm from the part that gets a little too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, it's usually cloudy or foggy. tons of agriculture, traffic jams because of farm equipment on city streets and "Oh, that dairy air!"

I like Nebraska!
diary air / Derrière (?)

I guess it’s all relative. My town has 25% of Nebraskas entire population.

Yeah, I'm just giving you a hard time.

Although Memorial Stadium really does hold 90k+ which is a crowd by pretty much any standard. Downtown Lincoln on a game day was kind of a mind blowing experience when I first moved to Nebraska.

Back