Weekend Jet Accidents in the USA

I literally grew up watching tractor pulls most summer weekends.

Where did you grow up?

Sometimes I think that the only thing holding our country together is a bunch of black rednecks. I’m not really joking. They are the voices of moderation.

Staying on topic, I’m one for two flying into Aspen. Both times in a 125.

Last edited:
They use it for all kinds of aircraft, GA on up.

View attachment 70927
Don't be jealous. That's a GA crane, maybe a small business jet, if the crane could get up close (because a wing was torn off). That's a 50 ton crane at most, as a crane extends their boom and booms down the weight rating changes quickly.

By comparison the 777 in SFO required a 300 ton crane. At the time this was the only one in CA, I know, I had scheduled it from Bigge to set a microwave shelter on a mountain top, they canceled because of that accident. Drove it up from Los Angeles to move the 777.

Don't be jealous. That's a GA crane, maybe a small business jet, if the crane could get up close (because a wing was torn off). That's a 50 ton crane at most, as a crane extends their boom and booms down the weight rating changes quickly.

By comparison the 777 in SFO required a 300 ton crane. At the time this was the only one in CA, I know, I had scheduled it from Bigge to set a microwave shelter on a mountain top, they canceled because of that accident. Drove it up from Los Angeles to move the 777.

They’d have to do some aircraft disassembly first there at SNA for a bigger craft. It’s just interesting that some ARFF depts have crane units

They’d have to do some aircraft disassembly first there at SNA for a bigger craft. It’s just interesting that some ARFF depts have crane units
It is impressive, really good to clear a GA aircraft that landed gear up, SNA is very challenged on runways. If a 737, 757, 767 has an issue just call for a rental crane. Construction equipment companies are required to respond to emergencies.

Remember the SFO earthquake during the World Series in 1989, a double deck bridge fell? Penhall, a concrete breaking company, had a caravan of oversize loads heading north from SoCal doing about 75mph. I thought they may be heading to SFO. When they blew past the truck scales I knew where they were going.

Where did you grow up?

Sometimes I think that the only thing holding our country together is a bunch of black rednecks. I’m not really joking. They are the voices of moderation.

Staying on topic, I’m one for two flying into Aspen. Both times in a 125.

Hillbilly. I'm literally 1/2 hillbilly and 1/2 E. Texan.

San Joaquin Valley, the "Nebraska" of California!

Bunch of people never lived in Nebraska commenting on Nebraska?

I lived there, one of the friendliest places I have lived in America. Mid 90s, before 9/11, don’t know how it is now. But I remember being the only brown kid and yet I was accepted and liked in school and treated no different than fellow Nebraskans. Good times. I was actually sad when we moved out. Lotta kids were Offut AFB kids and the discipline was impressive in youngsters.

Bunch of people never lived in Nebraska commenting on Nebraska?

I lived there, one of the friendliest places I have lived in America. Mid 90s, before 9/11, don’t know how it is now. But I remember being the only brown kid and yet I was accepted and liked in school and treated no different than fellow Nebraskans. Good times. I was actually sad when we moved out. Lotta kids were Offut AFB kids and the discipline was impressive in youngsters.

Nebraska is awesome. Whenever I wear my Nebraska sweatshirt, folks from Nebraska will cross the street to say hello.

Pretty sure @derg was intending to point out that many parts of California are not liberal Mecca’s and are much like … Nebraska.

Reactions: jrh
Aspen is a freaking menace. In any rational world, that's a VFR-only airport. The margins are just too thin in any real weather. I'll never have to go there again, and that's not soon enough.
It literally IS a VFR-only airport for any honest jet crew.
LOC/DME-E Cat C - 3122-3
RNAV-F Cat C - 3122-3

That's ALL class Echo and class Delta VFR riaght thar!

Heck, even the Roaring Fork Visual has a non-standard minimum: 6000-10. I'm still not sure how a visual approach has above-standard VFR mins, but Aspen does!

Last edited:
Back