Vision Test

hammer

I went to renew my Class 2 medical last week and low and behold, could not do line 14 (the bottom line) of the vision test to a satisfactory level. Was referred to an optomologist who I saw today. Interestingly, my vision came back as 20/20 which means I do not need glasses but I am slightly nearsighted which explains why I could not see the bottom line. After going through all the vision stuff, one obvious thing was that I could definitely see clearer and crisper with a very light prescription on, which the doctor said would be the case for anyone, even someone with absolutely perfect vision.

Anyway, he said if I wanted a light prescription, it would make things look cleaner, especially in poor visibility/haze and at night. Just thought I'd share as I know most pilots have pretty good vision and have never visited a optomologist for a full vision test .... it's an interesting idea. We wear sunglasses during the day, why not have the option to wear some vision enhancers at night?

[ QUOTE ]
I went to renew my Class 2 medical last week and low and behold, could not do line 14 (the bottom line) of the vision test to a satisfactory level. Was referred to an optomologist who I saw today. Interestingly, my vision came back as 20/20 which means I do not need glasses but I am slightly nearsighted which explains why I could not see the bottom line. After going through all the vision stuff, one obvious thing was that I could definitely see clearer and crisper with a very light prescription on, which the doctor said would be the case for anyone, even someone with absolutely perfect vision.

Anyway, he said if I wanted a light prescription, it would make things look cleaner, especially in poor visibility/haze and at night. Just thought I'd share as I know most pilots have pretty good vision and have never visited a optomologist for a full vision test .... it's an interesting idea. We wear sunglasses during the day, why not have the option to wear some vision enhancers at night?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience (although I haven't failed the FAA eye test yet). Went into the eye doc because I thought it was a good idea just to have a check-up. He recommended a light prescription for distance, said it would help at night. I had no idea how degraded my night vision was getting. My vision at night is noticably different with the glasses than without, and I try not to go anywhere at night without them. During the day, I hardly notice any difference at all.

MF

Back