Virgin America pilot payraise

Negotiations, especially once the NMB gets involved, can be very theatrical. There are times where making an emotionally charged statement may server your purpose, but it has to be calculated and controlled. I've got a story for NJC along those lines.
Agreed. Very rarely, in my personal experience, have they been used well.

Why do you hate saying it? It's true! You got hired to be a pilot not a professional negotiator. Now I understand why ALPA has pilots be the negotiators with a slew of attorneys sitting right behind them, but I think we should have professional negotiators and pilot input.

We train line guys to go up against a team of professional negotiators, corporate psychologists and seven figure labor attorneys.

Why we do this, I have no idea.

It's like me taking a two week course and then trying to perform surgery.

Negotiations, especially once the NMB gets involved, can be very theatrical. There are times where making an emotionally charged statement may server your purpose, but it has to be calculated and controlled. I've got a story for NJC along those lines.

In my experience (especially before the NMB), theatrics are almost always counterproductive. Sure, I can imagine some limited circumstances where they could be beneficial, but they would be rare indeed. I'd love to hear the story, though. You making it out to NJC this year? I finally got vacation on the right days!

We train line guys to go up against a team of professional negotiators, corporate psychologists and seven figure labor attorneys.

Why we do this, I have no idea.

It's like me taking a two week course and then trying to perform surgery.

I was considering working in the union, being a trained negotiator with the Army and all. But Im not sure if those types of negotiating techniques are acceptable in the airline world.

I was considering working in the union, being a trained negotiator with the Army and all. But Im not sure if those types of negotiating techniques are acceptable in the airline world.
"Let them go, or we'll bomb your house" is probably not an appropriate tactic. :D

Back