US Senate panel votes to reject hiking pilot retirement age

I pay a lot of taxes now, and get zero healthcare for it.

Going to a single payer system, and still spending the most per capita in the world on healthcare, would still save us $1.5 trillion dollars per year. (The US spends about $4.5 trillion in total now). There's probably a lot of other things that money could be spent on, that would be better for the US economy.

Quality would go way down, and wait times would go way up. And I don’t mean just for ER. My maternal grandfather passed away in 2018 but he had his heart surgery postponed twice, and each time he was pushed off by several months. At least here, once you’re scheduled, barring an extreme situation, you’re getting it done. In the Canadian case, more “important” cases showed up that day and his surgery was post poned.

And I don’t trust the government to run us in a single payer system. About the only thing they do right is USPS. Have you ever taken a trip to the DMV? The DGAF attitude. Imagine that now as your kid faces a surgery and you’re dealing with a robot who doesn’t GAF and has a guaranteed govt salary and retirement.

My perspective from 6 years of working in close proximity to emergency medicine and hospitals is that “death panels” would be the humane and rational thing to do. Nothing like spending 6 figures at 3 AM to transport a hopeless case somewhere where they can die alone hundreds of miles from their home and family.

Where do you draw that line?

Let’s be honest, an overwhelming majority of our healthcare resources are spent trying to extend people who are in their last 5 yrs of existence.

Cut back on some of that, you can save some real money too. Should we start with your loved one? What if dad is 90 yrs old? And can spend $230k on procedures that will let him live another 14 months. And then what if that living isn’t really even that comfortable?

I come from a family of docs, and the stories are plenty. They amount of families who will threaten you to do whatever you can to keep grandma alive, or else!

Meanwhile, grandma confides to you to please make her DNR and let her go if it happens.

The “problem” isn’t even the old people. It’s their offspring who just won’t let them go.

And I know I’m gonna offend literally everyone here, I apologize right now….

Then add the American culture of throwing your parent into a nursing home? Sorry, screw that. I’d rather be dead than to know my kids abandoned me to a nursing home. In our culture, elder parents live with us. Most in our circles are financially fortunate and will hire help to help take care of them. But they don’t die in a nursing home.

Have you ever taken a trip to the DMV?
Yes. Every trip I've taken to the DMV in four separate states now has been painless and pretty pleasant, minus Texas where I had to drive an hour to some random town to get an available appointment. If you actually go in with an inkling of an idea of what paperwork you need and already have your crap together, they're actually really helpful and *gasp* friendly, even in California.

Where do you draw that line?

Let’s be honest, an overwhelming majority of our healthcare resources are spent trying to extend people who are in their last 5 yrs of existence.

Cut back on some of that, you can save some real money too. Should we start with your loved one? What if dad is 90 yrs old? And can spend $230k on procedures that will let him live another 14 months. And then what if that living isn’t really even that comfortable?

I come from a family of docs, and the stories are plenty. They amount of families who will threaten you to do whatever you can to keep grandma alive, or else!

Meanwhile, grandma confides to you to please make her DNR and let her go if it happens.

The “problem” isn’t even the old people. It’s their offspring who just won’t let them go.

And I know I’m gonna offend literally everyone here, I apologize right now….

Then add the American culture of throwing your parent into a nursing home? Sorry, screw that. I’d rather be dead than to know my kids abandoned me to a nursing home. In our culture, elder parents live with us. Most in our circles are financially fortunate and will hire help to help take care of them. But they don’t die in a nursing home.
I swear you're basically arguing with yourself now.

Yes. Every trip I've taken to the DMV in four separate states now has been painless and pretty pleasant, minus Texas where I had to drive an hour to some random town to get an available appointment. If you actually go in with an inkling of an idea of what paperwork you need and already have your crap together, they're actually really helpful and *gasp* friendly, even in California.
Imagine having ever dealt with a health insurance company and complaining about the DMV

Not my experience. Beechy attitude. I avoid that place like the plague. Had a real problem transferring a NJ-registered lease car to CA registration when we moved. The lady finally had to get her boss, because she couldn’t figure it out.

Imagine having ever dealt with a health insurance company and complaining about the DMV

It depends. My health care complaints are stuff that needs to be approved/authorized. As long as you are, you have the blessing to go get it done. But if you think private insurance sucks for that, wait until the govt takes over. Remember SS trust fund? Let’s raid it and we’ll replenish it later. Imagine that for healthcare.

Not my experience. Beechy attitude. I avoid that place like the plague. Had a real problem transferring a NJ-registered lease car to CA registration when we moved. The lady finally had to get her boss, because she couldn’t figure it out.
Could be branch dependent, but it's yet to be my experience anywhere. I always went to the one in Chula Vista in SD and they were super efficient and nice. Helps going on off peak hours too, which is an advantage to having your weekends in the middle of the week. But especially in CA now you can do most of the stuff on the website then just go in person for the rest of it.

Could be branch dependent, but it's yet to be my experience anywhere. I always went to the one in Chula Vista in SD and they were super efficient and nice. Helps going on off peak hours too, which is an advantage to having your weekends in the middle of the week. But especially in CA now you can do most of the stuff on the website then just go in person for the rest of it.

Costa Mesa one was a complete pain in the butt, long lines, less than interested workers, even showing up with a positive attitude. On the flip side, the DMV in Blythe, friendly and helpful, pleasure to go to.

Okay, he was talking about the license place. I read that and though he was talking about the Washington D.C. area.

You're still kinda somewhat new to AZ., but have you found your way to any of the third party DMV places? They're a godsend. If not try em out, so that you don't have to go to the actual DMV.

Okay, he was talking about the license place. I read that and though he was talking about the Washington D.C. area.

You're still kinda somewhat new to AZ., but have you found your way to any of the third party DMV places? They're a godsend. If not try em out, so that you don't have to go to the actual DMV.
I haven’t, but I’ve never felt the need to either since it’s so easy to look up what I need to take online before I go, then it’s ready to go once my number comes up. The DMV close to us never seems that busy. What’s the advantage of those places? There’s one nearby and I’ve always wondered.

I haven’t, but I’ve never felt the need to either since it’s so easy to look up what I need to take online before I go, then it’s ready to go once my number comes up. The DMV close to us never seems that busy. What’s the advantage of those places? There’s one nearby and I’ve always wondered.

They're small, less busy. You can normally just walk in and got straight to the counter. I've never seen more than five people in one. They can't do everything that the DMV can, but they can do a lot. ServiceAZ.gov is also good as well.

You want Canada style MAID? I can see that being controversial.

You put the expense on the government, 1. We’re all gonna pay. No such thing as “free” healthcare. 2. They’re gonna decide when it’s not worth keeping your mom or dad alive. And deny it.
We pay more per capita, and have a lower quality health care, than most other developed countries. Your narrative doesn’t appear to be accurate.

Don’t ask me, I’m the one who said to CC:

:smoke: :cool::biggrin:
I predict a response that tries to frame a series of problems related to our income inequality and inadequate regulation of things like the food industry as personal failings of poor people.

Back