US Senate panel votes to reject hiking pilot retirement age

Every pilot I know at my shop nearing 65 is flying insane amounts to pad that check. I don’t believe it for one second when a guy who is top 10% seniority, getting 41 days vacation, holding 19-20 day off lines (before any vacation), is going to punch out early.

Punch out of what? You already are semi-retired.
Exactly. It’s easy to talk that noise now, but very few people are walking away from an extra 2-4 million for work that isn’t very taxing. Not saying nobody does, but airlines aren’t losing a bunch of 50-55 year olds every year to anything other than medical loss.

Exactly. It’s easy to talk that noise now, but very few people are walking away from an extra 2-4 million for work that isn’t very taxing. Not saying nobody does, but airlines aren’t losing a bunch of 50-55 year olds every year to anything other than medical loss.

I agree it is most likely not the norm at all. It would take a different outlook on life than many have, to make that decision. Especially for the folks who suffered through the bad times, or folks who were stuck at regionals at regional pay for many years......for some, there is a need to make up for lost time. But to Cherokee's point, I hope that I am fortunate enough to make that decision by my late 50's (specifically 59, when I would have 20 years, get the retiree travel benefits/etc). But one ideal that is rational for one person, might make little sense for others, given differing life situations.

That all being said, I do think it is good that this legislation was killed. It was gonna be bad for a lot more people than it was gonna be good for.

I agree it is most likely not the norm at all. It would take a different outlook on life than many have, to make that decision. Especially for the folks who suffered through the bad times, or folks who were stuck at regionals at regional pay for many years......for some, there is a need to make up for lost time. But to Cherokee's point, I hope that I am fortunate enough to make that decision by my late 50's (specifically 59, when I would have 20 years, get the retiree travel benefits/etc). But one ideal that is rational for one person, might make little sense for others, given differing life situations.

That all being said, I do think it is good that this legislation was killed. It was gonna be bad for a lot more people than it was gonna be good for.
The healthcare is the big issue for me, even if you can “afford” to retire early. You don’t qualify for Medicare until 65, and most of the plans I’ve seen on the marketplace are garbage.

The healthcare is the big issue for me, even if you can “afford” to retire early. You don’t qualify for Medicare until 65, and most of the plans I’ve seen on the marketplace are garbage.

Valid point. I'm on the military/tricare system, so something I hadn't thought of. Probably a bigger deal than a few extra hundreds of thousands or millions in a retirement account for a lot of folks that age.

On campus a few days ago speaking with a coworker and realized that, under the old system, I’d have retired last year with a full pension.

Le sigh…
Don’t sell yourself short Derg!!! We love you here don’t get me wrong but I’m always willing to move up a number early if you’re willing! Let’s click the send button together

/sarcasm

One of the things we have kept on this contract is the ability to trade accumulated sick time for insurance at a rate of 1 month for 10TFP. Starting at age 55 if you have had at least 15 years of service and at age 60 for everyone else. So the magic number is 600 which is about a third of what we can have in our bank.

I’m 47, soon to be 48. I’ve talked with my financial advisor to punch out at 55. If I could it would 50. This job is fairly simple but time on the road and in the air take a toll not to mention the sleep schedule changes. I want to enjoy my retirement with Mrs. Soul.

I stay on East coast time but still, getting up at 3:30 am, the traffic, the s-show that is work. I’ll try to get out as early as possible as well. I feel so much better after a week or two away…

I've got three works for you boys: voluntary incentive line.

But how will I make my corvette, boat, vacation house, and alimony payments on only 15k/month?

Those are nearly the exact reasons I hear guys in their early 60s not wanting to retire at 65. I mean… Shouldn’t all that crap be paid off by now?

I've got three works for you boys: voluntary incentive line.

None offered. I’m just a sucker line pilot that flys 75 hours month after month since I started here. Just brutal. Broken planes, hour + delays just as normal ops…this place has sapped the life out of me.

As to health care and retirement age. When the age changed from 60 to 65, the IPA was able to negotiate keeping the age to receive retirement benefits at 60, since that's where it was in the contract, and for retired pilots to be able to stay with the IPA health plan if desired but pay out of pocket. I think mine is $550/mo. At age 65, that terminates and you go on Medicare. I guess we had a good deal. I never knew how it worked elsewhere but health bene's are certainly a big deal.

As to health care and retirement age. When the age changed from 60 to 65, the IPA was able to negotiate keeping the age to receive retirement benefits at 60, since that's where it was in the contract, and for retired pilots to be able to stay with the IPA health plan if desired but pay out of pocket. I think mine is $550/mo. At age 65, that terminates and you go on Medicare. I guess we had a good deal. I never knew how it worked elsewhere but health bene's are certainly a big deal.

We've spent a fair amount of negotiating capital over the past 10 years towards that end. Right now, normal retirement is still 60 (and earlier if you meet some longevity requirements), and you keep your active employee health insurance plan (at the same rate you've been paying) until Medicare eligibility. That way guys are covered, even if the government pushes Medicare access back.

We've spent a fair amount of negotiating capital over the past 10 years towards that end. Right now, normal retirement is still 60 (and earlier if you meet some longevity requirements), and you keep your active employee health insurance plan (at the same rate you've been paying) until Medicare eligibility. That way guys are covered, even if the government pushes Medicare access back.
I suspect this will become more commonplace in our industry as us young folk get older.

Yeah… it sometimes makes me want to upgrade just so I can fly with younger folks who have not ruined their lives yet. Sometimes…
I have a very small sample size since I'm finishing up Captain OE, but there's a lot of truth to this. On my last two trips the LCAs were both area code seniority and we picked up junior FOs as relief pilots for the international portion of the trips. Both of the LCAs were excellent and very enjoyable to fly with, but in both cases when I was up front by myself with the FO, they were ecstatic to fly with someone close to their age, talking about things they could relate to, and that wasn't constantly angry at something.

Hopefully the energy will stay the same once I'm out on the line without adult supervision. At my seniority I'll mostly be flying with newhires. Granted I personally haven't had too many problems with boomer stereotypes as an FO because I'm pretty good at changing the subject, but it does take a lot of energy especially with the ones that are dying to find a way to start talking politics or complain about "kids these days".

I have a very small sample size since I'm finishing up Captain OE, but there's a lot of truth to this. On my last two trips the LCAs were both area code seniority and we picked up junior FOs as relief pilots for the international portion of the trips. Both of the LCAs were excellent and very enjoyable to fly with, but in both cases when I was up front by myself with the FO, they were ecstatic to fly with someone close to their age, talking about things they could relate to, and that wasn't constantly angry at something.

Totally off topic... you guys are able to run OE on augmented flights as a three pilot crew? We are required to run 4 pilots because the OE pilot isn't checked out yet and as such can't be at the controls without a check pilot in the other seat. That even applies in the case where the pilot is still technically right seat (and hence RO) qualifed.

Totally off topic... you guys are able to run OE on augmented flights as a three pilot crew? We are required to run 4 pilots because the OE pilot isn't checked out yet and as such can't be at the controls without a check pilot in the other seat. That even applies in the case where the pilot is still technically right seat (and hence RO) qualifed.
Same here. And those trips become very desirable to pick up because of the extra break length.

Same here. And those trips become very desirable to pick up because of the extra break length.

Over here the original FO tends to get salty when it happens because they lose their landing. But yes, long breaks are nice, unless the Check Pilot is a dick and splits it 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 so they can observe the OE candidate coasting in and coasting out. (ask me how I know...)

Back