US Airways Hiring

I did let an HR department at a major one time know what I thought of their process after it was all said and done and I got my TBNT email. I probably have blacklisted myself with them, but I had decided at that point that if that was the way they treated applicants then I really didn't want to work there anyhow. Everyone has to make their own choices. Just remember that there are a limited number of majors (even more limited now after the last decade of merger mania), so I wouldn't pull that trick too many times - although I don't regret my actions either.

Reactions: nyk
Not necessarily; that's their job. Just going by my encounters with your typical HR puke most of them are lucky to be working at all and in a sane world where we didn't need 24/7 "ass covering and legal techinicalities" they wouldn't be.

I see nyk's point and I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in; I guess I'm the only one.

As much as they are interviewing you for a position, you should be interviewing them. Good for him for having standards and not putting up with it. Maybe it will limit his choices but he can sleep better at night knowing he didn't settle for something. I know a guy who was interviewed for the latest opening. He got an invite to interview and a date. He doesn't live in Dallas and wasn't offered positive space to get there and home, a hotel room for the night, nothing. He spent three hours there to "interview" (time taking a test, time for it to be graded, and a group "interview" with 20 or so other folks) and he spoke for all of 5 minutes. Maybe. All of that screams, "As a company, we don't give a hoot about YOU. You're a number, and a body to fill a seat."

You should have your own reasons for wanting to go work for a certain company but a company should also present the candidates reasons they should want to work there. Being "the biggest airline in the world" only gets you so far.

Pilots will tell you that more people having standards would mean an increase in pay starting out. $16-$20k a year? What an insult; I don't get out of bed for that. But people continue to flock to the right seats of those RJs. Have some standards for yourself. No, in today's world we're all just programmed to accept whatever is jammed down our throats and go along with it like good lemmings. Standing up for yourself or for something you believe in is frowned upon while mediocrity and not "rocking the boat" is applauded.

Rant over, let's get this thread back on topic.
Thanks that's exactly how I feel. I never settle and NOBODY will tell me otherwise. I have ny reasons and so do you. The End.

Its okay if I will limit myself. Means more Pickens for the rest of you. I'm my own man who makes decisions for me. It has nothing to do with thick skin it has to do with how you treat someone. I have never experienced a more harsh HR department then that. I know it's not optimal to limit myself but it's MY decision and it's MY life so OTHERS opinions don't matter. Thanks for "caring" though.
You really cannot judge an airline by its HR department. Most of the time they are overworked and understaffed. The management team is supposed to give you the warm and fuzzy feeling. Most major 121 carriers HR departments exist to "process" applicants through the rigamarole that is the hiring process, not care how you feel. Once you get hired, they change their tune. I agree with @womanpilot and grow some thick skin. You will get treated the same way at any other position within corporate America.

You really cannot judge an airline by its HR department. Most of the time they are overworked and understaffed. The management team is supposed to give you the warm and fuzzy feeling. Most major 121 carriers HR departments exist to "process" applicants through the rigamarole that is the hiring process, not care how you feel. Once you get hired, they change their tune. I agree with @womanpilot and grow some thick skin. You will get treated the same way at any other position within corporate America.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting his point but I believe he's saying that he's settling for his current reality so as not to have to settle for that future reality and that settles it...

It wasn't just HR it was the whole process which included HR. I felt like they left us out to dry with no communication for three months. I know it was around the time they were merging but if they weren't sure about a larger class at least communicate that to us. This has nothing to do with thick skin so please stop saying that lol it has to do with respect. I've had a lot of jobs in my life I'm not some 20 years old nieve to the world. I have experience with a lot of HR departments and never like this. I'm entitled to my opinion and that's how I feel.

They left me completely incommunicado for 2 months right before they declared bankruptcy in 2011. You should cut them some slack especially since they were going through a merger. If you have never been through one before, it turns a company into a giant zoo, and HR is unfortunately the center ring of all of it. Don't completely discount working for a terrific carrier, and one that will have a very good union contract because of one bad HR experience during a merger.

It wasn't just HR it was the whole process which included HR. I felt like they left us out to dry with no communication for three months. I know it was around the time they were merging but if they weren't sure about a larger class at least communicate that to us.

At least you got a response. I know several people who interviewed face to face with Southwest and never heard anything after the interview. Not even a TBNT email. I know people that describe similar issues with the UAL and DAL interview process that they went through. There is a good chance it will be like this wherever you apply. The easy part HR wise at every airline is getting hired. Just wait for the HR process after you get hired lol!

nyk said:
It wasn't just HR it was the whole process which included HR. I felt like they left us out to dry with no communication for three months. I know it was around the time they were merging but if they weren't sure about a larger class at least communicate that to us. This has nothing to do with thick skin so please stop saying that lol it has to do with respect. I've had a lot of jobs in my life I'm not some 20 years old nieve to the world. I have experience with a lot of HR departments and never like this. I'm entitled to my opinion and that's how I feel.

Nobody is picking on you here... I just think some of us were surprised that you'd turn away a potential future job at a major just based on how you were treated by HR. Your first post about this ONLY mentioned HR...not all involved in the whole process. If you got treated poorly by everyone that interviewed you and got bad vibes from everyone you came into contact with there, that's another story. But just HR? I have to shake my head at that... Lol... Honestly tho, to each his own and thanks for the extra slot if you decide to maintain boycotting them. ;-)

dead-horse.gif

Back