US Airways Hiring

It seems absolutely absurd to me that anyone would limit themselves in any career based on how they feel HR treated them. You don't work for HR...you're a dispatcher. Get some thick skin, get over it and laugh it off...all the way to the bank! ;-)

From having sat on Dispatch Hiring Committees before (although I don't work in HR) I can tell you that there are two sides to the coin. On one side, there are always a TON of candidates (even for low pay positions at small carriers where the competition is slim) and HR has to process all of them individually. So, understandably, they HATE having their time wasted when it's next to obvious that a candidate isn't going to make the cut.

On the other side of the coin (as a candidate) major carriers generally have nightmarish hiring practices that, if I weren't willing to grin and bear it, would have excluded me from consideration (and will, consequently, exclude many people who are unable to cope with that reality).

These
are
the breaks*...

Break it up, break it up, break it up!

*Extra points if anyone gets the reference...

Its okay if I will limit myself. Means more Pickens for the rest of you. I'm my own man who makes decisions for me. It has nothing to do with thick skin it has to do with how you treat someone. I have never experienced a more harsh HR department then that. I know it's not optimal to limit myself but it's MY decision and it's MY life so OTHERS opinions don't matter. Thanks for "caring" though.

If you are going to narrow your search down to airlines who's HR departments don't piss you off you've got a lot less choices. Not trying to tell you how to run your life or anything, but in the world of corporate America you might want to consider letting some things roll off your back for the sake of the greater good. Not sayin, just sayin.

Just curious, which major has an HR department that doesn't suck in some way, shape, or form?

Just curious, which major has an HR department that doesn't suck in some way, shape, or form?
54669521.jpg

Not every airline is going to "suck" to everyone. Isn't that why there are choices? So for the sake of blowing up this thread let's all just THINK and READ before we reply with stupid remarks, videos and other satire.

If this very much industry common HR tact is all it takes to make you react like that, I'm very happy with your decision not to work next to me at AA. We have enough of your personality type already.

Best of luck to you.

It would be nice if HR would not treat potential hires as a number and for that reason alone I will NEVER apply to AA again. The way they treated me was just aweful and appalling. Kept me waiting for a response for almost three months.

So, as I understand it, the worse thing that happened was that you applied, and 3 months later you got a TBNT. Is that right?

If so, then I will pile on with everyone else. Grow a thick skin, and accept that this is life in the big city. If there's more to the story, then please share.

Allow me to share some excerpts with some of my favorite TBNT's.

"Thanks for submitting your application for the position. Unfortunately, after careful consideration, you have not been selected to interview for this position."

Except that I WAS selected to interview, and I DID interview with them. It makes me wonder if I made the cut, but somehow slipped through the cracks.

Here's another: "We received a considerable number of applications in response to this requisition and filled the position before having the opportunity to review your application. As a result, you were not selected for this position."

Translation: Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to apply, but we didn't care enough to even review your application.

Not to go all Four Yorkshiremen on you, but if the worst that happened to you was that you had to wait for three months for a response, that's nothing.

No I actually interviewed and they kept us waiting for three months with no communication. When I called once each month she was snappy and snarky, never helpful in any of my questions. I just didn't get a good feeling about the whole process. I don't understand why MY thoughts really care to so many people.

nyk said:
I don't understand why MY thoughts really care to so many people.

You're sharing your thoughts on a public forum... It's kind of what we do here - read and comment. Have discussions. Sorry you took offense to my comments. They weren't meant to be offensive...just honest. Best of luck to you.

I interviewed for what I believe was the same opening you did...I got my TBNT a week or two later...so they didn't take forever on All of us. Before you blame HR....IIRC AA was undecided about a second class or not for a little while and you were probably still being considered for such a class until they decided not to have the class. I wouldn't blame HR for that, nor would I ever rule out a company based on HR. It is your decision ultimately...but twenty years in the future...are you really going to be thinking about HR?

If HR rankles you, then Dispatching is not going to be a good fit for you. HR's mission statement is basically to annoy employees with technicalities and legal ass-covering. If an agreeable HR department is a must for you, then I don't know where you're going to find a job.

If HR rankles you, then Dispatching is not going to be a good fit for you. .

Not necessarily; that's their job. Just going by my encounters with your typical HR puke most of them are lucky to be working at all and in a sane world where we didn't need 24/7 "ass covering and legal techinicalities" they wouldn't be.

I see nyk's point and I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in; I guess I'm the only one.

As much as they are interviewing you for a position, you should be interviewing them. Good for him for having standards and not putting up with it. Maybe it will limit his choices but he can sleep better at night knowing he didn't settle for something. I know a guy who was interviewed for the latest opening. He got an invite to interview and a date. He doesn't live in Dallas and wasn't offered positive space to get there and home, a hotel room for the night, nothing. He spent three hours there to "interview" (time taking a test, time for it to be graded, and a group "interview" with 20 or so other folks) and he spoke for all of 5 minutes. Maybe. All of that screams, "As a company, we don't give a hoot about YOU. You're a number, and a body to fill a seat."

You should have your own reasons for wanting to go work for a certain company but a company should also present the candidates reasons they should want to work there. Being "the biggest airline in the world" only gets you so far.

Pilots will tell you that more people having standards would mean an increase in pay starting out. $16-$20k a year? What an insult; I don't get out of bed for that. But people continue to flock to the right seats of those RJs. Have some standards for yourself. No, in today's world we're all just programmed to accept whatever is jammed down our throats and go along with it like good lemmings. Standing up for yourself or for something you believe in is frowned upon while mediocrity and not "rocking the boat" is applauded.

Rant over, let's get this thread back on topic.

Last edited:
Not necessarily; that's their job. Just going by my encounters with your typical HR puke most of them are lucky to be working at all and in a sane world where we didn't need 24/7 "ass covering and legal techinicalities" they wouldn't be.

I see nyk's point and I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in; I guess I'm the only one.

As much as they are interviewing you for a position, you should be interviewing them. Good for him for having standards and not putting up with it. Maybe it will limit his choices but he can sleep better at night knowing he didn't settle for something. I know a guy who was interviewed for the latest opening. He got an invite to interview and a date. He doesn't live in Dallas and wasn't offered positive space to get there and home, a hotel room for the night, nothing. He spent three hours there to "interview" (time taking a test, time for it to be graded, and a group "interview" with 20 or so other folks) and he spoke for all of 5 minutes. Maybe. All of that screams, "As a company, we don't give a hoot about YOU. You're a number, and a body to fill a seat."

You should have your own reasons for wanting to go work for a certain company but a company should also present the candidates reasons they should want to work there. Being "the biggest airline in the world" only gets you so far.

Pilots will tell you that more people having standards would mean an increase in pay starting out. $16-$20k a year? What an insult; I don't get out of bed for that. But people continue to flock to the right seats of those RJs. Have some standards for yourself. No, in today's world we're all just programmed to accept whatever is jammed down our throats and go along with it like good lemmings. Standing up for yourself or for something you believe in is frowned upon while mediocrity and not "rocking the boat" is applauded.

Rant over, let's get this thread back on topic.

Amen.

Back