Upgrade, or Downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantHubbell

Let's say you are just hired at Skywest with 2500 hours. You are at the top of your class and choose to be a F/O on the CRJ. About 1 year later you have the chance to "Upgrade"
to Capt. BUT on the EMB-120. I know that PIC time is golden, but can a F/O on a bigger jet take a job as Capt. on a prop or smaller jet, without ever flying it before?

Good Day

Some captains I fly with have never flown it as a co-pilot.

I remember when I was on Supertug we had just moved an L1011 to the gate and shut everything down and the Capt came on board and was looking around asked if I could start the APU for him he had just changed over from the 727 and wasnt sure how...I thought he was joking but he said he had never done it before so I did it but kinda makes you go hmmm...

Not suprising at all man!
smile.gif

Whenever I'd have an 'abnormal' on the 727, the captain and the FO would look back, stare blankly at my flight engineer panel and say, "Well, do what you've got to do and if you can't fix it and the book says we need to go back, let us know".

Thats the joy of a 3 man cockpit. The guy sitting side saddle is low man and has to fix everything especially if it was an old crusty Capt

I imagine the paperwork and company duties for the Captain are more or less the same whether it's the CRJ or the Bro. Everything else is just systems and handling the plane, which is the same thing you would learn as a new hire FO. The decision process of PIC decisions is more than likely the same on either airframe.

If I were faced with the choice, I'd have a tough decision to make. On the one hand, I need the PIC turbine to get to SWA. However, I don't want to upgrade to captain without the confidence that I can handle the job. If I was comfortable with the EMB-120 systems, I'd probably take it.

I know what ya mean. I have flown with several former jet F/Os who are now Saab captains. One guy said, "Don't hesitate to let me know if I am doin' somethin' wrong." LOL At the time I looked at him and said "Huh?!" as I barely had 100 in type myself!

[ QUOTE ]
I know what ya mean. I have flown with several former jet F/Os who are now Saab captains. One guy said, "Don't hesitate to let me know if I am doin' somethin' wrong." LOL At the time I looked at him and said "Huh?!" as I barely had 100 in type myself!

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the times you're probably happy the pax aren't in hearing range
wink.gif

A couple months online and you completely forget they're even back there!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the captain have to be checked out on the aircraft with so many hours in type before the upgrade is complete?

Probably depends on the airline.

But, *if I had the seniority*, I could bid 777 captain with 0 hours of 777 experience, do a few weeks of training, a tye-rating checkride do a passenger-carrying line trip with a check airman/line check pilot and I'd be online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back