Update: UPS flight dispatchers are asking to be paid like counterparts at Delta, American

1589182258129.gif

There’s about to be more applicants than you can shake a stick at.

Speaking of UPS, did anyone else notice a dispatcher posting go up last night for a few hours? It's down again now.
You had to create an account and be logged in to see the continue button to apply even though it said that the req number was inactive. It was possible to get to the application.

HR is working on reactivating the post. Not sure when it will post but keep watching. For those that did get through the application process, you might want to reapply once it’s active again as I’m sure it will have a new Req #. As of now, I’m told this is just a class of 2, to cover a few retirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully UPS or Fedex or the other cargo ops have classes come october 1st but hopefully it wont come to that

Hopefully UPS or Fedex or the other cargo ops have classes come october 1st but hopefully it wont come to that
What would some of the reasons be that one would wait until October to apply at UPS if they’re hiring right now?

What would some of the reasons be that one would wait until October to apply at UPS if they’re hiring right now?

I think he means is that he hopes that there will be additional hiring come October after when everyone is expecting layoffs once the CARES act requirements time out if passenger traffic doesn't pick up soon.

To keep your seniority number. If you leave now, you surrender your seniority number. If you are at a regional or supplemental, applying now would make sense. You aren't losing much. If you are at a major and considering this, it is a lot to give up.

I am not sure how many major airline junior dispatchers will be applying but have heard it could be substantial. I could make a long list of reasons why a major dispatcher should or shouldn't apply to this. I could also write a long list of why a major dispatcher would or wouldn't make this kind of move.

If a major does liquidate, UPS might next year be getting apps from senior dispatchers if they hire next year.

To keep your seniority number. If you leave now, you surrender your seniority number. If you are at a regional or supplemental, applying now would make sense. You aren't losing much. If you are at a major and considering this, it is a lot to give up.

What if they've been burned in the past hiring temps (pilots & mechs) with recall rights...to the point they started requiring proof of resignation as a condition of the job offer?

“So I see on your resume your employment ended at XX Airlines on October 1st. Can you tell us why we should hire a dispatcher with recall rights at a major pax carrier over a dispatcher coming from a regional or supplemental? I ask because we noticed you’ve never applied here before, and I must say those talent pools up in Indy and Cincy have worked out quite well for us.”

What if they've been burned in the past hiring temps (pilots & mechs) with recall rights...to the point they started requiring proof of resignation as a condition of the job offer?

“So I see on your resume your employment ended at XX Airlines on October 1st. Can you tell us why we should hire a dispatcher with recall rights at a major pax carrier over a dispatcher coming from a regional or supplemental? I ask because we noticed you’ve never applied here before, and I must say those talent pools up in Indy and Cincy have worked out quite well for us.”

you don’t think there are regional dispatchers that go to UPS for a couple of years and then end up at one of the passenger majors?
Dispatchers coming from the passenger airlines will not get called back for a few years so I don’t think the hiring managers will worry about that, they will just look for the best fit for new hires, in my opinion.

you don’t think there are regional dispatchers that go to UPS for a couple of years and then end up at one of the passenger majors?
Dispatchers coming from the passenger airlines will not get called back for a few years so I don’t think the hiring managers will worry about that, they will just look for the best fit for new hires, in my opinion.

I think that’s being optimistic. I know many people have gone to UPS and intend to stay there. Their pay is mainline, so no point in losing seniority and pay to end up at the same level years later. Theres always exceptions though.

Atlas, Spirit, ATI, Kalita etc seem to be more of the feeders.

Does UPS not hire internal? I thought they were big on promoting from within.
Not really, that’s for the rest of the business. They’re not keen on hiring pilots or mechanics from the trucking side either.

Yeah that doesn’t really happen, sorry to burst anyone’s passenger dispatch bubble. UPS isn’t a stepping stone, industry leading contract and maybe for a while, thanks to CoVid.

Not really, that’s for the rest of the business. They’re not keen on hiring pilots or mechanics from the trucking side either.

Yeah that doesn’t really happen, sorry to burst anyone’s passenger dispatch bubble. UPS isn’t a stepping stone, industry leading contract and maybe for a while, thanks to CoVid.

Well, to be fair, there’s been a few. I have to wonder given the current situation if they wish they’d stayed put. They are great dispatchers and are missed for sure! But, for the most part, people do come here to stay for their career. We are a major airline, with pay in line with the industry as a whole, incredible benefits and a pension. Is it perfect here? Nope. But it’s a great career job and Louisville is a really cool city. Given the current situation with Covid, I’m even more grateful to be here. I definitely feel for everyone at the pax airlines and what you’re going through. I hope and pray things turn around soon.

Well, to be fair, there’s been a few. I have to wonder given the current situation if they wish they’d stayed put. They are great dispatchers and are missed for sure! But, for the most part, people do come here to stay for their career. We are a major airline, with pay in line with the industry as a whole, incredible benefits and a pension. Is it perfect here? Nope. But it’s a great career job and Louisville is a really cool city. Given the current situation with Covid, I’m even more grateful to be here. I definitely feel for everyone at the pax airlines and what you’re going through. I hope and pray things turn around soon.

Thank you for your well wishes and sentiment. I am looking forward to applying when it opens. I recently told someone that UPS is the last airline to still have a Pension plan (thanks for mentioning it). And I'm very grateful for you and the other industry leaders at their shops to occasionally step in and post honest news updates and corrections. It gets difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel, especially when we or our friends and colleagues are personally affected by the current news and events. But you and others are a welcomed ray of sunshine that cuts through all the B*S and misinformation. We are very fortunate to have you and others. Be safe and healthy out there, to everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Back