Unwritten Rules of Jumpseat/Non-Rev?

Back when I had first started commuting to DFW from TYS I was in the jumpseat on an Envoy flight. We did a little chatting before we pushed back and everything was good. And then the captain, who was an older gentleman, asked me if I flowed to AA. I said yes and he asked me what wholly owned I flowed from. I told him PSA and he whipped around and i thought he was going to kick me off the flight. Turns out he had a picture on his phone of a PSA kid that had posted some trash talk about Envoy and PSA getting their 700's. He then said I'm okay for the jumpseat but if that kid ever gets in his airplane he would kick him off. Moral of the story is be careful what you say or post on the internet. It may come back to bite you.

Back when I had first started commuting to DFW from TYS I was in the jumpseat on an Envoy flight. We did a little chatting before we pushed back and everything was good. And then the captain, who was an older gentleman, asked me if I flowed to AA. I said yes and he asked me what wholly owned I flowed from. I told him PSA and he whipped around and i thought he was going to kick me off the flight. Turns out he had a picture on his phone of a PSA kid that had posted some trash talk about Envoy and PSA getting their 700's. He then said I'm okay for the jumpseat but if that kid ever gets in his airplane he would kick him off. Moral of the story is be careful what you say or post on the internet. It may come back to bite you.
Lol Jesus. No siblings fight quite as much as regionals.

It's been covered but if there are multiple seats up front just keep the talking to a minimum until the crew engages you. It can be incredibly distracting to have people over your shoulder chatting away while trying to make the donuts.

I was "that guy" one day and told two jumpseaters to STFU. The copilot and I were on ENC headsets but are tuned to enable you to hear voices. These guys talked loudly during takeoff and initial climbout, in clear violation of sterile cockpit rules and basic polite decorum I kind of just lost it.

I apologized for snapping, they apologized for the situation, but at the end of the day, read the room when you're in some else's cockpit. Speak when spoken to, make yourself as invisible as possible, I'm more than happy to provide you a ride and make the experience as pleasant as possible but I'm not a paid chauffeur of a bridesmaid's party bus.

I was "that guy" one day and told two jumpseaters to STFU. The copilot and I were on ENC headsets but are tuned to enable you to hear voices. These guys talked loudly during takeoff and initial climbout, in clear violation of sterile cockpit rules and basic polite decorum I kind of just lost it.

I apologized for snapping, they apologized for the situation, but at the end of the day, read the room when you're in some else's cockpit. Speak when spoken to, make yourself as invisible as possible, I'm more than happy to provide you a ride and make the experience as pleasant as possible but I'm not a paid chauffeur of a bridesmaid's party bus.
767F has 4 jumpseats and a lav in the cockpit. I really hope i don't have to fly that •box.

It's been covered but if there are multiple seats up front just keep the talking to a minimum until the crew engages you. It can be incredibly distracting to have people over your shoulder chatting away while trying to make the donuts.
I had this happen during my release to line check at brown. Full flight deck of JS’ers in the 76 and everyone is chatting away about boats, vacation houses, etc. After getting over the ridiculous amounts of money pilots spend I tuned it out, but I can see how it’s distracting. I wish they would’ve designed the freighter version with the seats behind the bulkhead like the Airbus or MD.

Please don't sit up front on the 737 if there are seats in the back, even if there's a new TA to talk about...

Guess I was the odd one out, but I always preferred when JSers sat up front. Usually by the third leg I was tired of talking to the other guy and welcomed a new person to edge out the boredom.

Flight was packed today with a ton of standbys. Captain let me sit up front (739) to help people get onboard. An FO from their company also needed to be up front so I had the fixed left seat.... Man it's right. So me it was ok, back started to ache a little at the 2hr mark but for bigger individuals it would not be a fun time.

Back