United Pulling out of Dubai

I didn't really want to post in this thread, but when something so glaringly wrong gets posted it has to be refuted with facts.

A top of the scale line captain at Emirates (fleet doesn't matter because all pay is based on longevity) will make total cash compensation in the ballpark of $15,000/month. That wouldn't be the whole story though. They may take an additional $4000/month in housing allowance. Then there is the tax rate, which is zero in the UAE so all that money is take home unless the captain in question is a U.S. citizen in which case it works out to around 10-15% in taxes. Tell me how a third year F.O. at American is taking home $19,000/month after taxes.

Typhoonpilot

This site states a top scale 380 CA makes 10,500/month

143(third year AA)*80=$11,440/month 13,000+ with soft pay and perdiem.

You are correct, I did not account for housing.

i should have approached this differently. This jetBlue/EK deal really got under my skin. This isn't all about money. I struggled for many years at the regionals. I thought about going to the sandbox/or anything to make a good living. For my wife and kids sake, I'm glad I didn't have to do that. We get on here and fight about money (guilty) work rules (guilty) and other assorted BS (guilty).

My job has become easier and the pay has become good. When you reach a good job you don't want anything to take it away. We all have what we are trying to safeguard. I believe you @typhoonpilot work for Boeing. I can see how the me3 are very important to your livelihood.

I think this event has brought the "broken system" to the forefront of pilots minds. I love what I do. I enjoy the paycheck. I just don't want to see anything get in the way of what I've worked so hard to obtain. I also don't like to see other countries beat the US especially with an unfair advantage through subsidies.

I didn't really want to post in this thread, but when something so glaringly wrong gets posted it has to be refuted with facts.

A top of the scale line captain at Emirates (fleet doesn't matter because all pay is based on longevity) will make total cash compensation in the ballpark of $15,000/month. That wouldn't be the whole story though. They may take an additional $4000/month in housing allowance. Then there is the tax rate, which is zero in the UAE so all that money is take home unless the captain in question is a U.S. citizen in which case it works out to around 10-15% in taxes. Tell me how a third year F.O. at American is taking home $19,000/month after taxes.

Typhoonpilot

As stated, on APC the top scale is $10,548 per month and the page was last updated July of 2015. Quite a big difference between your ballpark and that figure. I have made more than that as a 3rd year 737/320 FO not working hard at all.

Also, if you want to take into account the housing allowance, it looks like the retirement plan under Emirates is absolutely atrocious compared to the retirement packages of airlines here so there is that...

i should have approached this differently. This jetBlue/EK deal really got under my skin. This isn't all about money. I struggled for many years at the regionals. I thought about going to the sandbox/or anything to make a good living. For my wife and kids sake, I'm glad I didn't have to do that. We get on here and fight about money (guilty) work rules (guilty) and other assorted BS (guilty).

My job has become easier and the pay has become good. When you reach a good job you don't want anything to take it away. We all have what we are trying to safeguard. I believe you @typhoonpilot work for Boeing. I can see how the me3 are very important to your livelihood.

I think this event has brought the "broken system" to the forefront of pilots minds. I love what I do. I enjoy the paycheck. I just don't want to see anything get in the way of what I've worked so hard to obtain. I also don't like to see other countries beat the US especially with an unfair advantage through subsidies.
I thought he flew for Emirates?

What's that thing in front of the seat that looks like a boat tiller? It's got some buttons and a notepad on there… do you steer with that thing? :)
It's how real men fly airplanes. If ISIS ever manages to detonate an EMP, Maddog just shrugs it off, keeps on trucking. What you gonna do?

It's how real men fly airplanes. If ISIS ever manages to detonate an EMP, Maddog just shrugs it off, keeps on trucking. What you gonna do?

Scream like a scared girl, using the THS for pitch and rudder for roll with itty bitty smaaaaaaaaaaall adjustments hoping we have the fuel for Edwards AFB.

See you in hell, Chia. :)

You sure? :) Isn't all that stuff electrical too?

Nah, I don't think so. I guess. You know… crap man, now you've got me thinking.

I think it's cable/pulley/jackscrew. I don't have a copilot handy to ask "Well, Sparky, whaddyathink?"

Nah, I don't think so. I guess. You know… crap man, now you've got me thinking.

I think it's cable/pulley/jackscrew. I don't have a copilot handy to ask "Well, Sparky, whaddyathink?"

It's amazing how fast you core dump everything by moving over to A. I always just thought the old men were senile. Unfortunately, I know better now. :(

It's amazing how fast you core dump everything by moving over to A. I always just thought the old men were senile. Unfortunately, I know better now. :(

If I'm down to Backup flight control because my flight control computers are fried, it's going to be a really interesting "So, now you're a test pilot" YouTube video when I try to land it.

You figure some of those subsidies could have gone for spellcheckers, eh? :)

12321145_10205571984286554_5237737735007255798_n.jpg

Mad dog may get a momentary bump/bounce from the EMP. "What was that?" "I don't know...some moderate chop I guess". :D

As stated, on APC the top scale is $10,548 per month and the page was last updated July of 2015. Quite a big difference between your ballpark and that figure. I have made more than that as a 3rd year 737/320 FO not working hard at all.

Also, if you want to take into account the housing allowance, it looks like the retirement plan under Emirates is absolutely atrocious compared to the retirement packages of airlines here so there is that...

APC is wrong Seggy. My base pay when I left, and I was not at the top of the scale, was $12,500/month. Add flight pay of $1500 and it was $14,000/month and I'm not including another $2750/month for examiner override.. That was two years ago and since then there have been upward adjustments to the scale. So my $15,000 figure for top of scale might be a little low actually.

You're right that the retirement fund is not as good as a U.S. carrier. After 20 years it would be worth about $1 million though, which isn't terrible.

I took a $100,000/year paycut to my bottom line to move to the job I have now.

Pretty bold statement, but it's true. When you factor in taxes, housing, insurance, utilities, transportation, retirement contributions, etc that is what it works out to. So when someone states that a third year F.O. at a major makes more than an EK Captain, I have to say something.

TP

Very few posts of yours don't make me depressed.
Why stick your head in the sand?

The legacies are smaller than prior to 9/11. SWA, Spirit, and jetBlue have taken up the majority of the growth in the US and the legacies have ceded market share to them. The smaller carriers are adding passengers at a rate roughly 200%-300% higher than the legacies in the US. Do you not think this is happening on an international scale as well?

Our carriers can't compete not because of government subsidies (doubtful in Emirates case) but because of their route structure. The money is in international transportation and we may do a hub/spoke out of a domestic base but they aren't really the same thing. Emirates hub/spoke uses cities like LA, NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta etc. but on an even larger scale. More money and more passengers. They use 777's like we use a PSA 50 seaters.

Exactly how I feel and better than I could've said it.

Exactly how I feel and better than I could've said it.
Serious question, did you guys think that just because we aren't at the commuters anymore we were home free? Did you think there was no more bidding for RFP's going on?

There still is, except it's being done by passengers and not the regional "partners".

When you look at all these surveys done, about who people like to fly on, AA is near the bottom. So is UAL. In 2014's global ranking, only one US carrier was top 50 and it was Delta, at 49. AA was 89. Eagle was ranked higher!!

Domestically, no one actually wants to fly on AA. Most actually want to fly on jetBlue, SWA,or Virgin. JetBlue showed +14% increase in passenger traffic in Nov, we showed +4%. People want to fly jetBlue. Because they have a known product, of good quality. Nobody wants to fly AA. I'm sorry but we suck. Our product is piss poor. We have no moat. We blend in with all the rest where people search and rank by price only, and that forces us to compete with ULCC's while our cost structure is that of a network carrier. Spirit's ASM costs are less than half of ours.

We have no consistent product. Despite what Parker said about Delta buying the 717's it was a move by Delta to control their brand. Parker is JV, he has no clue about this stuff. This is one of the main reasons Delta can command a +15% premium on their seats. Delta mostly attributes this to their corporate clientele and their reliability, which they can control more readily the more flying their actually do.

UAL has some issues. They have an amazing network but no one home at the helm. I like AA more than I like UAL.

The US airline industry is like the cell phone industry. It's completely saturated and companies are only gaining customers by churning.

Back