United has some splainin to do…

One of the only questions on my interview that I had a good answer for (still no idea how I made it through) was “what is the biggest safety challenge facing the industry today?”. My answer was and still is the turnover/brain drain/experience levels that came with the hiring boom.

One downfall of the seniority system is that the junior captain trips are also the junior FO trips so even if your crews don’t meet the company definition of green on green, you’ve still often got your least experienced captains flying with and mentoring your least experienced FOs. Not sure what you can do about it. We might be in a better boat than some since we haven’t really done a ton of new CA upgrades compared to the number of FOs hired (at least compared to say UAL with their DECs).

The other problem is at at least the virtual airline the most junior CA is a Jan 2019 hire. And, virtual airline REQUIRES 1,000 hrs as a FO at this shop before you can upgrade.

This is vastly different than at UAL or DAL, where you can basically be a street CA. That just adds another huge layer to the risk matrix.

Also, what’s green on green at most shops? Isn’t it 75 hrs? Virtual airline improved that and requires 150 hrs to avoid green on green.

I’m not saying it’s perfect. But stuff like requiring FOs get 1,000 hrs at their major before upgrading, 150 hrs to avoid being green in green, all certainly help.

I’m not. [on social media] It was on YouTube.

You can’t make this level of dumbass up.

IMG_1781.jpeg

I think we're all going to get a taste of that.

I do know that the wheels are still on the "Big 3 Bus", but they're wobbly and almost about to fly off the axle.

I'm just sayin'...
So the “shortage” isn’t over and I shouldn’t be telling people to sign up for that truck driving school.

In all seriousness I can’t speak for anyone else but at my shop some of the FOQA trends are interesting to say the least. Most MX issues I’ve seen are from the new 76’s.

So the “shortage” isn’t over and I shouldn’t be telling people to sign up for that truck driving school.

In all seriousness I can’t speak for anyone else but at my shop some of the FOQA trends are interesting to say the least. Most MX issues I’ve seen are from the new 76’s.
Not sure that it’s relevant to any of this, but the mechanic shortage is worse than the pilot shortage and has been for a long time.

Not sure that it’s relevant to any of this, but the mechanic shortage is worse than the pilot shortage and has been for a long time.
This is the one no one really talks about. About 80% of the mechanics I’ve talked to at Brown say they’re punching out within the next 3yrs. I scratched my head when we laid off mechanics last year. I went to a school that was mostly geared towards A&P training and they had nothing in place to get students interested in the field. Last time I was there was 2015 so maybe something changed.

Next thing you know, the hands-on work requirement for the A&p will drop. Online study sessions, online tests, reading of mechanic procedures, and voila. Next gen of aircraft mechanics.

Speaking as someone who signed up for a maintenance job. I realized I was okay at troubleshooting or chasing problems, but actually turning wrenches and fixing the physical components I sucked at, especially on hard to get to jobs. I still remember being told to safety wire the pineapple valve, I was like dude, I can’t even see the thing and you want me to safety wire 7 different points on it? That alone took me three hours, just for a CDI to come by and laugh as he cut my safety wire saying try again.

Having people with some mechanical inclination and talent to physically perform the tasks to a standard will be hard if not impossible soon. Too many kids want to hit it big as YouTubers 😀😂

Next thing you know, the hands-on work requirement for the A&p will drop. Online study sessions, online tests, reading of mechanic procedures, and voila. Next gen of aircraft mechanics.
I've got a buddy higher up in IT at GE aircraft engines; his work right now is involved in building a VR headset system to enable AMT's to both learn GE engines and to use while actually working on them. The concept is to allow the AMT to "see" the next step(s) while actually hands on with the engine. The thing supposedly will orient to the engine and explain steps as you go. My buddy thinks it's promising, GE is putting a whole lotta cash into it...

Back