United has some splainin to do…

Any truth to this? Saw it on another forum
IMG_1327.jpeg

Any truth to this? Saw it on another forum
View attachment 77085

One friend spoke with some UAL friends and they says it's accurate. I spoke with a UAL lead LCA and he says it isn't BUT they're under a lot of scrutiny, as are we all.

The entire industry's "bus" has wobbly tires so please don't think UAL is the alpha-to-the-omega of incidents. Some of us (ahem) are better at keeping things under wraps.

One friend spoke with some UAL friends and they says it's accurate. I spoke with a UAL lead LCA and he says it isn't BUT they're under a lot of scrutiny, as are we all.

The entire industry's "bus" has wobbly tires so please don't think UAL is the alpha-to-the-omega of incidents. Some of us (ahem) are better at keeping things under wraps.
One of the only questions on my interview that I had a good answer for (still no idea how I made it through) was “what is the biggest safety challenge facing the industry today?”. My answer was and still is the turnover/brain drain/experience levels that came with the hiring boom.

One downfall of the seniority system is that the junior captain trips are also the junior FO trips so even if your crews don’t meet the company definition of green on green, you’ve still often got your least experienced captains flying with and mentoring your least experienced FOs. Not sure what you can do about it. We might be in a better boat than some since we haven’t really done a ton of new CA upgrades compared to the number of FOs hired (at least compared to say UAL with their DECs).

As I pointed out in the Angry Widget Page, SouthernJets has had its operation watched closely by the FAA. Today’s SJI is not the 1980’s SJI that had a number of high profile (for the time) incidents, one of which almost put a perfectly good 767 into the water off LAX.

Kids, study your history, and learn from ‘boomers’ that just might teach you something. The amount of new people we have that have ZERO idea of past of SJI is astounding.

2 things we’ve been “lucky” with…we didn’t have Max9’s, and our CEO has been less “in the media” about things.

Make no mistake about it, Boeing put out another hit…Scott Kirby was running his mouth, and now the FAA is looking into UAL.

Like most people here, I’ve got friends at pretty much every airline. I’ve had friends involved in safety stuff at two of the big three, both have said they wouldn’t be shocked if there was a high profile incident or accident at their airline.

It’s probably too little, too late, but I’m happy to see if companies are finally forced to put safety over shareholders. The last few years have been weird for all of us. I don’t blame the individual pilots, but there are a lot of inexperienced people in places of authority. It is what it is, but safety cultures need to adapt to these changes.

As just a line schlub I have no idea, but the amount of batpoop insane speculation internally would be entertaining if it wasn’t just crazy-person sad.

The problems that Boeing, the airlines and generally the whole aviation industry are going through are similar to any industry. The problem is safety is paramount in aviation, shareholders of the leading companies need to remember that. Sometimes profit has to take a hit in the name of safety, not a popular opinion but unless we want smoking holes as the new regular something has to change. Though I don’t think much will and we will continue to ride the luck train moving forward.

Current business models are doing way more with way less, make a profit and cash out. Just look at how many people have become rich in the last 10-15 years from creating businesses, scaling them then selling. Post sale those businesses took huge hits in quality offered, especially those bought by big money investors only seeking maximum profit squeeze. I mean that’s how it has always been, but now that model is mainstream and you can YouTube how to start the process. Every Tom, Dick and Jane wants to stick it to the man, create something with market value and cash out. We made the bed, now it’s time to lay in it. It’s the American way as far as I can see. Lipstick on the pig and get paid, that’s why most American made product is trash.

Greed will always rule the world, it’s in human DNA.

Last edited:
I see here that you have 10,000 hrs, but tell me have you ever volunteered at a soup kitchen? The hiring process should be re-evaluated.

No one is asking that, trust me.

Plus, total hours aren't directly related to better training performance as there are a litany of other qualitative factors.

As just a line schlub I have no idea, but the amount of batpoop insane speculation internally would be entertaining if it wasn’t just crazy-person sad.

Safety-wise, a lot of us sit on 'lofty perches' and swift to point our fingers at whoever is in the news.

But, in reality, the entire airline industry, some soup to nuts, is under intense scrutiny for myriad reasons. It would be disingenuous for me to pile on UAL when there are things that happened in the last 24 months 'in my own backyard' that I'm absolutely amazed didn't end up on the front page of the Washington Post.

We all have to put the iPhones down, pay attention, put down the false promises of seniority progression for 30 seconds and do the work.

As I pointed out in the Angry Widget Page, SouthernJets has had its operation watched closely by the FAA. Today’s SJI is not the 1980’s SJI that had a number of high profile (for the time) incidents, one of which almost put a perfectly good 767 into the water off LAX.

Kids, study your history, and learn from ‘boomers’ that just might teach you something. The amount of new people we have that have ZERO idea of past of SJI is astounding.

2 things we’ve been “lucky” with…we didn’t have Max9’s, and our CEO has been less “in the media” about things.

Make no mistake about it, Boeing put out another hit…Scott Kirby was running his mouth, and now the FAA is looking into UAL.

I would also remind people to be humble with a "there by the grace of God go I". Some people can't help themselves, and I would remind those people that Karma is a harsh mistress.

Back