United Express Facepalm

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
Overheard this gem in ORD:

"Ground, Lifeguard Skywest 1234, our gate's occupied, we need to go to the penalty box"

"You're a Lifeguard and they're sending you to the box?"

"...yyyyep"

"Lifeguard Skywest 1234, via alpha"

Overheard this gem in ORD:

"Ground, Lifeguard Skywest 1234, our gate's occupied, we need to go to the penalty box"

"You're a Lifeguard and they're sending you to the box?"

"...yyyyep"

"Lifeguard Skywest 1234, via alpha"
I believe it!

Give them 5 mins to find a gate...then find one yourself. There is probably a pretty good reason you're a lifeguard flight. I'd gladly carpet dance of it potentially saved someone's life.

Give them 5 mins to find a gate...then find one yourself. There is probably a pretty good reason you're a lifeguard flight. I'd gladly carpet dance of it potentially saved someone's life.

Last time I was a Lifeguard flight it was because we had a box of blood in the back. Hardly a reason to get expedited handling (although we did).

Last time I was a Lifeguard flight it was because we had a box of blood in the back. Hardly a reason to get expedited handling (although we did).

I didn't get to be Lifeguard when I had blood in the back... or corneas to be transplanted for that matter. Of course, when you're flying at 4AM, into a non-hub airport, I'm not sure what Lifeguard status would get you...

You'd probably think differently if you loved one was waiting for it.

Maybe. But when there is a shipment between those two points every day (there is a blood bank at one end and a collection center at the other) I don't always assume it is an outright emergency.

Well that changes things a bit then. I understand your view. In that case, maybe the "lifeguard" prefix shouldn't be used by your company. One gets the feeling it wasn't intended for routine, scheduled flights like you did.

Maybe. But when there is a shipment between those two points every day (there is a blood bank at one end and a collection center at the other) I don't always assume it is an outright emergency.
Perhaps the life span of that blood might be a requirement of no delay. I see your point thought.

I was lifeguard into SFO the other day; they parted the Red Sea, and lo, there was no flow, and yea, I did get cleared direct. AND a gate was available.
Generally on my end, parting the red seas isn't something that is a good thing, but from a pilots perspective it's fun to watch everyone move.

I'm always a lifeguard and the other day ZLC asked if I wanted priority. I just said "I'm a life guard. Don't I always get priority?" I always assumed that filing lifeguard gave you priority handling. Maybe not. Maybe it's just so others on the radio will know you're wicked awesome.

I'm always a lifeguard and the other day ZLC asked if I wanted priority. I just said "I'm a life guard. Don't I always get priority?" I always assumed that filing lifeguard gave you priority handling. Maybe not. Maybe it's just so others on the radio will know you're wicked awesome.

Quoth the AIM—
b. Air Ambulance Flights.

Because of the priority afforded air ambulance flights in the ATC system, extreme discretion is necessary when using the term “LIFEGUARD.” It is only intended for those missions of an urgent medical nature and to be utilized only for that portion of the flight requiring expeditious handling. When requested by the pilot, necessary notification to expedite ground handling of patients, etc., is provided by ATC; however, when possible, this information should be passed in advance through non-ATC communications systems.

1. Civilian air ambulance flights responding to medical emergencies (first call to an accident scene, carrying patients, organ donors, organs, or other urgently needed lifesaving medical material) will be expedited by ATC when necessary. When expeditious handling is necessary, add the word “LIFEGUARD” in the remarks section of the flight plan. In radio communications, use the call sign “LIFEGUARD” followed by the aircraft registration letters/numbers.

2. Similar provisions have been made for the use of “AIR EVAC” and “MED EVAC” by military air ambulance flights, except that these military flights will receive priority handling only when specifically requested.

EXAMPLE-
Lifeguard Two Six Four Six.

3. Air carrier and Air Taxi flights responding to medical emergencies will also be expedited by ATC when necessary. The nature of these medical emergency flights usually concerns the transportation of urgently needed lifesaving medical materials or vital organs. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COMPANY/PILOT DETERMINE, BY THE NATURE/URGENCY OF THE SPECIFIC MEDICAL CARGO, IF PRIORITY ATC ASSISTANCE IS REQUIRED. Pilots must ensure that the word “LIFEGUARD” is included in the remarks section of the flight plan and use the call sign “LIFEGUARD” followed by the company name and flight number for all transmissions when expeditious handling is required. It is important for ATC to be aware of “LIFEGUARD” status, and it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure that this information is provided to ATC.

EXAMPLE-
Lifeguard Delta Thirty-Seven.
And it was, in fact, essential that we get there with a quickness.

Here's a piece of trivia for you guys: TWA 800 was actually a lifeguard flight because they were transporting eye parts (sorry, medical terminology isn't one of my strong parts) to Paris.

I didn't get to be Lifeguard when I had blood in the back... or corneas to be transplanted for that matter. Of course, when you're flying at 4AM, into a non-hub airport, I'm not sure what Lifeguard status would get you...

It'll get you an opposite direction, even if the tower wants to snivel about it.

:)

Back