United Express Facepalm

As someone who used to fly blood and organs around for transplant patients, I am probably not going to rush the blood, but anything else I am going to haul ass and throw fits for. Unfortunately at CommutAir we aren't allowed to use the lifeguard call sign.

And WestIndian425, most of the New York Controllers take that VERY seriously.

Unfortunately what I read here aggravates me. I can not imagine anything time sensitive is going to be flown on a 121 carrier and the use of this callsign is dilutes it's true purpose. On all the medical helicopters I have flown on, though every patient transport is critical, only once did the pilot use this designation. Why? The vast majority of the time an extra 3-5 minutes is not going to change the patients outcome. We were in flight the one time the pilot told the controller that he wanted to go lifeguard, it got the desired response. While heart and lungs are often transplanted in 3-5 hours, organs can last outside the body for 10-20 hours so they do not need to rush as much as you would believe.

I think what concerns is it seems like pilots get excited with this designation and the last thing I want is a pilot feeling rushed.

Unfortunately what I read here aggravates me. I can not imagine anything time sensitive is going to be flown on a 121 carrier and the use of this callsign is dilutes it's true purpose. On all the medical helicopters I have flown on, though every patient transport is critical, only once did the pilot use this designation. Why? The vast majority of the time an extra 3-5 minutes is not going to change the patients outcome. We were in flight the one time the pilot told the controller that he wanted to go lifeguard, it got the desired response. While heart and lungs are often transplanted in 3-5 hours, organs can last outside the body for 10-20 hours so they do not need to rush as much as you would believe.

I think what concerns is it seems like pilots get excited with this designation and the last thing I want is a pilot feeling rushed.

It can truly be a difference of 1-2 or maybe even 3 hours on a bad day in the northeast though, between groundstops, lines to the runway, etc. In that instance I'd think the callsign change would be worth it.

Flew a heart on it's second leg a few weeks ago and it was more of what you're talking about. We didn't use lifeguard and didn't need to anyway as there were zero delays. If it looked like it was going to take us a long time to get to the runway for construction etc. we could always have dispatch add the lifeguard to the callsign to get out of Dodge ASAP.

A 2-3 hour delay is SOP for United. I just don't think the call sign is being well utilized. The heart I can see it being beneficial, however hopefully it will become obsolete with the progresses such as Organ Care System.

Not even Norcal will do that into SFO. The best you get is direct Sausalito.

I've been lifeguard a number of times into SFO and they've always given me direct SFO shortly after takeoff. It has also gotten me out of flow every time (that there's been flow).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

Okay, I won't say "LIFEGUARD" when I have a box of organs in back, *and* the flight plan remarks say "RMK LIFEGUARD ..." :sarcasm:

I wish they had a different designation for Med-Evac helicopters that are transporting trauma patients, rather than the same one rich guys use on their trip to Miami to get Botox/suntan.

For the record use of the "Lifeguard" designation by definition means you are requesting priority handling.

http://www.stuckmic.com/rules-regulations-faa/4086-operational-priority-2-1-4-a.html

Lifeguard on patient flights. That will get priority handling. Advising no-delay while lifeguard will part the Red Sea. Only have had to do that few times, but that will get a landing on opposite direction and direct to the numbers.

A lifeguard Brasilia once beat a -700 to the ground, since all gates were full, they were given the RJs gate. When the -700 landed, ops said it was urgent to get the Brasilia out ASAP since the -700 crew would time out if they weren't out in 22 minutes. However, the Brasilia needed serious mx and ops knew the gate change was going to strand 66 people for the night. Yet, they did it. I figured it was always like that, guess not.

Doesn't the CRJ have a built in air stair? Someone wasn't being creative enough it sounds like.

Sent from my TRS-80
The UAX CRJ-700s can only fit at 2 of SFO's non-jetway parking spots, so most of the time that doesn't matter. Only 11 gates for 170+ daily flights until T1 opened a few weeks back. Add flow, recipe for disaster.

Maybe. But when there is a shipment between those two points every day (there is a blood bank at one end and a collection center at the other) I don't always assume it is an outright emergency.
You should.......

Back